Mini Shetland - advice / tips

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I am excited to say I have a mini Shetland arriving tomorrow to keep my horse company (I currently have a borrowed pony so she’s not alone). Any tips and advice?

He an adorable 13 year old gelding ex-show pony. We have quite a lot of flies in my field so I’m thinking fly mask and rug... but where do you buy them small enough?

He’ll be on restricted grazing with my horse. What do you do to exercise yours and keep them entertained? Maybe trick training? Ride and lead from my horse? Find someone with a small enough child to ride him?

Thank you :)

ozpoz

Visit site
We have one who is a real baby's pony, adores his tiny riders and can be led by a toddler. It is very hard to give him enough work with riders whose attention span is very short! Riding and leading from your horse is possible but he'll be trotting to keep up. Being a shetland, he will find his own amusement - they are absolute characters. Lunging is a good bet. Treat training an absolute no, ours is never fed from hands. Ebay is good for most things and mini rugs are not hard to find.
Have fun!

meleeka

Visit site
Welcome to the world of Shetland’s. If he’s anything like mine he’ll make you smile every single day :)

Mine isn’t rugged and is bothered by flies a lot less than my other ponies. Don’t forget the average Shetland comes with a ready made fly fringe so a mask shouldn’t be necessary. I’ve also clipped mine in spring before as he’s got very hot because he hangs onto his coat longer than the others. If you do want to rug then Ruggles are very good.

They are usually good doers so be careful of him getting too fat. Mine likes long reining with cones or even about.

When introducing I made a pen in the field with electric tape for a few days. I then removed the bottom strand so the Shetland could get out but the others couldn’t get in. He got the hang of it quickly and used to wind the others up then run back into his pen for safety. My big one did try and stamp on him the first time they met so be aware that they are a bit odd to your average equine.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Thank you. I would have click trained with treats. What do you use to positively reinforce behaviour? Voice and body language?

Off to put Shetland into the search on eBay :)

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Welcome to the world of Shetland’s. If he’s anything like mine he’ll make you smile every single day :)

Mine isn’t rugged and is bothered by flies a lot less than my other ponies. Don’t forget the average Shetland comes with a ready made fly fringe so a mask shouldn’t be necessary. I’ve also clipped mine in spring before as he’s got very hot because he hangs onto his coat longer than the others. If you do want to rug then Ruggles are very good.

They are usually good doers so be careful of him getting too fat. Mine likes long reining with cones or even about.

When introducing I made a pen in the field with electric tape for a few days. I then removed the bottom strand so the Shetland could get out but the others couldn’t get in. He got the hang of it quickly and used to wind the others up then run back into his pen for safety. My big one did try and stamp on him the first time they met so be aware that they are a bit odd to your average equine.

I’ll hold off the shopping until I see how he copes with flies. He’s got plenty of mane so it should be good protection- although a bit warm in this weather?

Like the pen idea. I’ll leave the bottom half of one of the gates open so he can get away.

There was one on the yard my horse was on for a little while so hopefully she’ll realise it’s a friend.

Long reigning an obstacle course sounds fun... Will have a think how I can get something set up.

Really appreciate all the advice. I think he’s going to be a big character!

paddi22

Visit site
I have two minis and they are lovely - very low maintenance, have never been bothered by flies, rain, snow or storms. They are very hardy little things. i agree with the other poster, I wouldn't let them near treats, even for training. Mine turn into absolute monsters if they even sniff something nice. handiest thing I ever got for mine was one of the tiny holed shetland haynets, that keeps them entertained all day.

antigone

Visit site
How lovely for you. Your life will never be quite the same again!

We found www.tackandturnout.co.uk very useful for mini Shetland rugs and equipment.

For exercise we used to walk her out, do a bit of agility and clicker training. I agree you have to be careful with treats around these little ones but it does depend how you do it. Connection Training have lots of info on keeping emotional control so you don't get mugged all the time.

Ride and lead didn't work for us because of the difference in size and also because the mini was very single minded.

If you are not familiar with horse agility Vanessa Bee's books are good.

Ours also walked miles trying to get grass nuts out of a snack ball - you need one where the treats are hard to get out - she never ever gave up on it like the bigger ponies did.

I hope you have lots of fun with him.

pippixox

Visit site
Ride and lead can work depending on the pair. I used to lead my friends mini Shetland off my 15’2 tb. They were good friends, although not out together. He quickly learned the ropes and stayed in the right place. Decent exercise having to keep up (although my boy did walk quite slow!) he was regularly trying to pick up a snack on the way!

3OldPonies

Visit site
If you search for ruggles horse rugs, you'll get a lovely site where you can buy all sorts of things specially designed for shetlands; not just small versions of horse rugs. Not too expensive either. I had some of the rugs and a muzzle from them for my mini and the fit was really good.

As a tip I would say, think ultra security! Mine was quite capable of walking through electric fencing if there wasn't a strand low enough that his nose would touch it; his mahoosive forlock protected him from shocks and he would go through as if the fence didn't exist. Oh, and one other one - make sure no-one treats him like a 'little cutie', he's just as much a pony as bigger animals and if anything like mine and others I've known they become right spoilt brats if not treated as you would something bigger. (I soon sorted mine out when he came to me as almost feral!) One I heard of was so naughty, but the people thought it cute that he waved his feet in the air at them - right up until he boxed their little girls front teeth out.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Thanks everyone. All the advice is much appreciated - I can already see how bright he is :). Will try to post a photo.

https://instagram.com/p/BlGvsC1HQiX/

Last edited: