Miniature horses - anything I really need to know

paddi22

Visit site
main things with minis, is the lami risk.. the majority of ones I've had get footy with frosty grass or the first flush of grass.

Visit site
Miniature horses are a total waste of time. I don't even think they look pretty. They are too dainty to ride or drive, too pansy-ish to be out in the rain. They are essentially Miniature thoroughbreds. Though tb's are tougher. Oh and good luck trying to find rugs to fit them. They all end up too big round the neck/chest.

Miniature Shetlands are a different breed entirely. They are Hardy wee so and so who could actually be driven and do more than mow the lawn.

chaps89

Visit site
Oooh there’s a poster who has/occasionally breeds them and they’re adorable. She has a lovely big bay as well and I think she might be in Ireland but why can I not remember her user name 🫣

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
main things with minis, is the lami risk.. the majority of ones I've had get footy with frosty grass or the first flush of grass.

This. My experience is they can be hellishly metabolic. I had a 2 year old with hot feet who turned into a 3 year old who couldn't touch a blade of grass.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I live in Devon and not far from me there is the Munchkins Miniature Shetland pony rescue. They do a wonderful job of rescuing and rehoming these tiny little ponies.

Just a suggestion, but it might be worth reaching out to them - as they will be experienced in dealing with Dwarfism issues in equines - which causes a LOT of health issues with these little ones. And I mean a LOT. And a very expensive vets-bill LOT......

I have a Dachshund; who also have the dwarfism gene - and my little man is already experiencing difficulties in his front legs caused by this.

I really would urge you to research dwarfism and this type of pony before you make any firm commitment. Should you decide to go ahead I fear you will need a VERY deep purse.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I live in Devon and not far from me there is the Munchkins Miniature Shetland pony rescue. They do a wonderful job of rescuing and rehoming these tiny little ponies.

Just a suggestion, but it might be worth reaching out to them - as they will be experienced in dealing with Dwarfism issues in equines - which causes a LOT of health issues with these little ones. And I mean a LOT. And a very expensive vets-bill LOT......

I have a Dachshund; who also have the dwarfism gene - and my little man is already experiencing difficulties in his front legs caused by this.

I really would urge you to research dwarfism and this type of pony before you make any firm commitment. Should you decide to go ahead I fear you will need a VERY deep purse.

I don't think miniatures are dwarfs? Dwarf ponies look very different.

Visit site

A miniature horse is not a dwarf, it's been bred to be the size it is. A miniature Shetland is also not a dwarf just a result of breeding smaller and smaller ponies. There is no denying that some do have dwarfism and there is a lot of testing now going on in Shetlands - both standard and mini - to stop breeding from ponies that carry the gene. A pony can carry 1 copy of the gene and not be affected by it. But if you cross 2 carriers together you risk them both passing on the gene resulting in a dwarf.

Might be an unpopular opinion here but I think dwarf foals should not see out 6 months, much less if the mother would cope with losing the foal. A Stud gave one of their mares and dwarf foal over to the vets to study until weaning time when the foal would be pts. Beforehand if necessary if it had no quality of life. I'm not sure what the vets found out over the 6 months of the study but I am sure it will be published at some point when they have had enough dwarves gifted to them to make more of an informed theory.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Having just one doesn't seem to be a possibility, they tend to multiply before your very eyes. They are fun, easy but love breaking fencing while trying to find the greener grass. Never, ever leave them in the garden with your doors open, they will come in and try and raid the cupboards. Warn the farrier to check his van before he leaves as if the doors are open they will try to get in. Love mine and wouldn't be without them.

meleeka

Visit site
You commented on having to lower the stable door and fence. You should be aware that the difference between a stable door that’s the right height and one that’s too low they can just jump over is about an inch! same with fences.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A miniature horse is not a dwarf, it's been bred to be the size it is. A miniature Shetland is also not a dwarf just a result of breeding smaller and smaller ponies. There is no denying that some do have dwarfism and there is a lot of testing now going on in Shetlands - both standard and mini - to stop breeding from ponies that carry the gene. A pony can carry 1 copy of the gene and not be affected by it. But if you cross 2 carriers together you risk them both passing on the gene resulting in a dwarf.

Might be an unpopular opinion here but I think dwarf foals should not see out 6 months, much less if the mother would cope with losing the foal. A Stud gave one of their mares and dwarf foal over to the vets to study until weaning time when the foal would be pts. Beforehand if necessary if it had no quality of life. I'm not sure what the vets found out over the 6 months of the study but I am sure it will be published at some point when they have had enough dwarves gifted to them to make more of an informed theory.
Someone used to show a dwarf shetland at our local show they were always there the kid used to ride it and do in hand it won and got placed quite alot.

No one ever said anything about it🙄

My friend often judged there and she said if it was ever in one of her classes she would ask them to leave the ring, just to add its conformation was awful.

Visit site
Someone used to show a dwarf shetland at our local show they were always there the kid used to ride it and do in hand it won and got placed quite alot.

No one ever said anything about it🙄

My friend often judged there and she said if it was ever in one of her classes she would ask them to leave the ring, just to add its conformation was awful.

I got beaten by a dwarf with DumDum 😂 the judge said "he's not very well behaved is he" after DumDum did 3 strides of canter instead of trot but otherwise didn't out a toe out of line. The same could not be said of the Welsh pony she put 2nd who spent the majority of its time on its back legs boxing at its owner or jogging sideways 🙄 same judge also once said to an exracer Competitor - I don't like your horses legs, the cannon bones are far too short.

She now works for us....

asmp

Visit site
Was the cute pony on the Amazon ad a dwarf? For the life of me I can’t remember what the ad was about though.