Miniature Shetland doesn’t seem himself!!

Lauralou2014

New User
Visit site
my 2 year old mini colt is normanly a cheeky chap that comes running over to investigate everything your doing but lately he seems quiet and not himself he is still eating and drinking he is kept with my other mini hardly any grass and fed hay eating exactly the same amount but it also seems like he is twice the size of him eg fat/swollen... anyone who has experienced anything like this would be much appreciated if you can let me know your outcome will be ringing the vet on Monday....

Lauralou2014

New User
Visit site
If bloated and listless I'd be calling the vet before Monday.
Have you taken his temperature? Is it normal?
Gums usual colour?
Resp rate normal?
Hope he comes right asap.
thanks gums seem ok they are nice and pink haven’t taken his temp yet he has been like it a couple of days my other one went abit quiet and few weeks back but has now perked up again and seems fine unless it was a obvious issue I can see I’m not going to rush into calling the vet out he is eating and drinking just seems quiet that’s all I can describe it as to look at if u didn’t know him u would think he was fine I will do temp tomorrow x

meleeka

Visit site
Take his temperature, if that’s normal and he’s eating well it could well be the weather. Mine was clipped a couple of months ago but he’s still been getting really hot.

shergar

Visit site
Not saying your pony has it ,but anyone with a mini pony should be aware of a condition called HYPERLIPAEMIA ,my pony was diagnosed to late to be saved a 32 inch Shetland ,she went quiet and became picky with her food ,then started to walk bent ,back legs to the left not following same track as the front legs ,the vet thought she had a stifle problem ,the day we went to take her to the hospital for x rays her head was swollen . A friend has also lost a mini horse to the same condition . If your pony seems to get worse you need a vet to take a blood sample ASAP .

Lauralou2014

New User
Visit site
Not saying your pony has it ,but anyone with a mini pony should be aware of a condition called HYPERLIPAEMIA ,my pony was diagnosed to late to be saved a 32 inch Shetland ,she went quiet and became picky with her food ,then started to walk bent ,back legs to the left not following same track as the front legs ,the vet thought she had a stifle problem ,the day we went to take her to the hospital for x rays her head was swollen . A friend has also lost a mini horse to the same condition . If your pony seems to get worse you need a vet to take a blood sample ASAP .
Hiya did yours have a temp? I took his today and it seems normal at 37.6 and he is eating fine aswell