Minor Irritations

dorsetladette

Visit site
People who talk about spoiling their horse and believe they look after them well because they have masses of gear, but then miss out on very basic care… for example having the flashiest saddle pads but a cheap saddle that doesn’t fit or new blingy bridle and don’t get their teeth checked. Piles of rugs but they’re too lazy to change them etc etc. Does my absolute nut in and I feel it becomes more common somehow.

Yes going on and on about all their 'branded' rugs, grooming kit etc etc then leave their ponies in mud up to their knees all winter.

Preach about treeless saddles, but do nothing about the pony bucking when asked to move forward.

Don't get teeth checked as they can't afford it, but buy £300 bits to stop the horse objecting contact.

Don't worm as can't afford it, but moan that pony lethargic and coat is dull so pump said pony full of expensive feeds to give more energy.

We are such an image driven society these days that welfare seems to play second fiddle to shiny things.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes going on and on about all their 'branded' rugs, grooming kit etc etc then leave their ponies in mud up to their knees all winter.

Preach about treeless saddles, but do nothing about the pony bucking when asked to move forward.

Don't get teeth checked as they can't afford it, but buy £300 bits to stop the horse objecting contact.

Don't worm as can't afford it, but moan that pony lethargic and coat is dull so pump said pony full of expensive feeds to give more energy.

We are such an image driven society these days that welfare seems to play second fiddle to shiny things.

Ugh. These people. I know one and it's it's hard to look away. There's a lot to the story, but I'll just say that the animals suffer and I have no idea why/how animal welfare laws don't prevent this here. It's so sad...but they have all the blingy saddle pads!

I have a fair amount of pads, but I do think before I buy and will sell some I find myself not using.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com

This is exactly it, people like that want the best gear for their next social media photo and like to look the part but seem to prioritise that over basic care. And when they make out like they spoil their horse for buying them so many things I want to slap them and say those things are for YOU not for the horse!

It’s totally fine to buy and enjoy nice things, to want to look good and so on but if you’re putting that over your horse’s actual needs then there is something wrong.

Visit site
Dogs who come running up behind the horse, out of control, and all the owner does is yell at them from the distance to come back even though it's clear the dog isn't listening to a word they're saying

one of my biggest pet hates. My boy is now scared of dogs after this happening. A dog tried to chase him recently and he tries to boot them now if they get close!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
People who say " I gave him a pamper session " rather than " I groomed him " or " He's having a duvet day " instead of " He's been stood in his stable for 24 hours " .
And why , in the media , does nobody just ' fall off ' a horse ? They are always ' thrown off ' .

So people really use that kind of spa resort language to describe grooming a horse or leaving it in for a day and a night?

As for being thrown off... yes, I'll admit to using that kind of language when it really was the horse "vigorously debating whether to follow my request for a canter" and I lost the debate... My fault, perhaps, for not sitting through it, but still...

TPO

Visit site
People who say " I gave him a pamper session " rather than " I groomed him " or " He's having a duvet day " instead of " He's been stood in his stable for 24 hours " .
And why , in the media , does nobody just ' fall off ' a horse ? They are always ' thrown off ' .

The duvet day thing bugs me too.

I was on a yard with a handful of people who gave their horses "duvet days", eg left them stood in all day, at the slightest hint of drizzle.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I hate it when people don't know how to take care of their horses. Some of them learned to ride at very posh barns the horses were groomed, tacked up, the stables were muck and they never learned to even pick out a hoof. I learned from my first lesson how to groom and tack up. My family was well off but there are five of us and my parents had the mistaken idea that we all should be able to go to university instead of buying me a horse, tack, etc.

When I was paying for my own riding lessons and such I often worked to lower my costs. I painted fences and stable doors, mucked out, helped feed, lifted hay bales, this was in the day of square bales. Round bales were considered unfit for horses and only good for cows. But I learned a lot about horse care that the spoiled brats and doctors' wives never learned.

AandK

Visit site
The ‘duvet day’ thing irks me too… always said as if the horse enjoys standing in all day and night.

People who have no regard for fittening or conditioning their horse, and just go for hours out hacking in w/t/c or go to a clinic, after not riding for weeks.

Most things I just shrug and turn a blind eye to, as long as it’s not a welfare issue. I’m sure there are people who don’t like/agree with the way I keep my horses (out 24/7/365). Each to their own etc…

tiga71

Visit site
People who are very particular about how tidy their storage area is and look at you like dirt if there is a shaving out of place in your horse's bed but are perfectly happy for their horse to go out in a field full of ragwort.

People who wait 2 months to get the physio/osteo/vet/ whatever, when they have been told repeatedly by trainers and people schooling their horse that it isn't quite right.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
There's someone on fb who I'm not friends with, but keeps coming up as suggested, who has a gorgeous horse that I'd give my eye teeth for, who's videos almost always show her galloping said horse over well over 1m High jumps out in the field which has had very little rain lately. He seems to be almost thrown at the jumps out of this very fast looking pace yet always jumps them. There's even videos of her having lessons hurtling over them in a rather wild way. I think the instructor sees it as a status symbol that this girl is jumping so high, rather than refining the technique

There never seem to be images of schooling or smaller jumps and her fb name is "xxx showjumper"

Maybe im biased as no longer jump and would love to have this honest horse but it looks so quick and always so high, if she misses/ he gets sour, she's messed up this lovely honest willing horse

Schollym

Visit site
Oooh dogs! Thankfully nothing so bad as your run-in Caol Ila, but the people who let their dog run right up close around the ponies legs and, when I say please call your dog, I don't want him to get kicked, reply with "oh it's okay, it'll teach him/her a lesson".
Even if you're fine with having your dog possibly killed/permanently lamed in the name of a "lesson", I don't want my horses' tolerance and good behaviour around dogs ruined just because you didn't bother to stop Fluffy running right under their legs/nipping at their heels! ?
My husband was walking our welsh mountain pony out in hand for exercise and as he passed the first house past the yard a Doberman came out and had a go at her. The following week she was ready for it and gave it both barrels. Never saw it again.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
'Great day at the office' posts. Usually a photo between lovely ears. Yeah, well we'd all like to be in the position to earn enough by spending our time 'working' with horses but, sadly, most of us do actually have to grind away in real offices to afford to keep our nags etc in the lifestyle they (and us) have been accustomed to providing for them. Grrr.

MinKo

Visit site
Foxes stealing the apples I buy to give the old bugger his pergolide. The mad Norwegian nutcase that sticks her nose into everything but is terrified of her own horse, the weather at the moment!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm mostly irritated by my riding. I've been riding for over 40 years and I'm still completely inept. I could blame my conformation and the fact I'm generally small and hunched and my back is knackered from a twin pregnancy and my left hip is stiff as heck. But really I'm just cr@p at riding. Watching videos of my lessons makes me want to weep. My body just wilfully refuses to comply with my brains requests.

Also, belt loops on breeches/jeans etc. Why are the front belt loops closer to my hips than my belly button? After a while the belt rides up and sits against my skin, making my tummy feel all sweaty and uncomfortable.