Minor rant about riders out hacking.. *health warning attached*

blitznbobs

Visit site
I am a horse owner and I hack out (albeit grudgingly) on a regular basis. I do not have an issue with people riding on the road,

BUT

I am also a driver of a motor vehicle. When I am driving my car I will not overtake you on a blind bend even if you do wave me past... I want to see what I am about to hit and choose a nice straight bit where I can pass wide and slow with full visibility. So please feel free to wave your arms like a banshee but don't get ticked off when I ignore you...

Blitz

Ps this goes for cyclists too...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm with you on this. I try and convey a 'thanks, but no thanks' message but usually the rider/cyclist gets very antsy that I do not blindly follow their extortions to overtake.

I'm always happy to stay well behind until I can see for myself that its completely clear, and somehow I become a bogeyman :confused3:.

Procrastination

Visit site
We have the opposite problem, drivers insisting on over taking on blind bends!

I really think a lot of people don't have their brains switched when they're driving, they come across an obstruction on the road like a cyclist or horse rider and they just fly around them without even thinking about what could be potentially be coming round the corner. Totally idiotic!

Elbie

Visit site
When I did my BHS riding and road safety we were told not to wave people on as you could then be liable for any potential accidents.

If I can see a road is clear I will let the driver know, but I won't get antsy if they choose to stay behind! Their choice! (unless they were following dangerously close...then I would change my hand signal to a 'back off' type of gesture!)

Lintel

Visit site
We have the opposite problem, drivers insisting on over taking on blind bends!

I really think a lot of people don't have their brains switched when they're driving, they come across an obstruction on the road like a cyclist or horse rider and they just fly around them without even thinking about what could be potentially be coming round the corner. Totally idiotic!

Also have that problem too! I tend to wave people on if I can see clearly enough to let them go on have quite a few blind sumits at ours- wouldn't ever get ticked off mind you of people were courtesy enough to wait :) -jusy everyone seems to be in a rush on our back road!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
When I did my BHS riding and road safety we were told not to wave people on as you could then be liable for any potential accidents.

If I can see a road is clear I will let the driver know, but I won't get antsy if they choose to stay behind! Their choice! (unless they were following dangerously close...then I would change my hand signal to a 'back off' type of gesture!)

Who ever taught that course, was wrong! A driver is ALWAYS responsible for their own actions. If a police officer waves you on and you hit a car coming the other way, the liability is still yours.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
I am a horse owner and I hack out (albeit grudgingly) on a regular basis. I do not have an issue with people riding on the road,

BUT

I am also a driver of a motor vehicle. When I am driving my car I will not overtake you on a blind bend even if you do wave me past... I want to see what I am about to hit and choose a nice straight bit where I can pass wide and slow with full visibility. So please feel free to wave your arms like a banshee but don't get ticked off when I ignore you...

Blitz

Ps this goes for cyclists too...

Amen!!!

Elbie

Visit site
Who ever taught that course, was wrong! A driver is ALWAYS responsible for their own actions. If a police officer waves you on and you hit a car coming the other way, the liability is still yours.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been taught things differently!

fatpiggy

Visit site

Agreed. I was driving out to my horse one afternoon and a car came out of a side turn on my right, straight into my front wing. His excuse for not seeing a car 15 feet away with its lights on in daylight (it was a bit damp and grey and my car was silver, hence the lights) was that the car coming the other way flashed him out!

My driving instructor told me to assume that every other road user was a complete idiot and to do their thinking for them. 32 years later I still completely agree with him.