MIPS riding hats

tda

Visit site
I’ve worn my ventilated Uvex Exxential II MIPS hat today for the first time on a 2 hour trek in baking temps on Cannock Chase.

It is the most comfortable hat that I’ve ever worn, and I barely sweated up underneath it. No wobbling. It has an adjustable dial thingy, so I could tweak the fit just so.

View attachment 122434

View attachment 122435
That looks really neat. So with this dial system it doesn't matter what shape your head is? Just asking because the Saddlery I use don't stock this one so I will have to order online

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That looks really neat. So with this dial system it doesn't matter what shape your head is? Just asking because the Saddlery I use don't stock this one so I will have to order online
I wouldn't recommend buying any sort of riding hat without trying it on first. I'm thinking that the basic shape of the shell ought to match your skull shape. Are there other saddleries further afield who might stock them?

I got mine fitted in person at Edgemere. Spoilt for choice here, with a Naylors and the huge HVS store at Somerford also within an hour's drive.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

It certainly matters less but I wouldn't say it doesn't matter at all.

I can make a round shape dial hat technically fit my head but I dislike the feel of it being too far from my head in places.

Reactions: tda

ycbm

Visit site
I'll check it, I'm wondering if I've mistaken the brand now.

It's this one.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
It's this one.

I have that one as well.

Boughtabay

Visit site
It's this one.

So many helmets these days with very un-memorable names!

I chose the 4star based on it being the highest ranking helmet stocked local to me. I had considered MIPS but given there’s only 1 that is ranking significantly better than the others at the moment, I’d only want that one and we don’t have any stockists anywhere near sadly

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I still had my Uvex Exxential fitted but as I do a lot of long hacks, I knew I wanted something lightweight and ventilated but MIPS too.

For me, this totally fits the bill - I often forget I'm wearing even after dismounting etc it it's so comfortable.

I've done a 6 hour ride in it in warm weather & I wouldn't have been nearly as comfortable in a jockey skull.

Plus, I love the fact it has a pony tail cut out at the back as I often had to re-adjust my hair to get my hat on properly. No more!

Promise I'm not affiliated with Uvex in any way, I just really like their hat.

Last edited:

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Yes, I saw that, and I'm normally very wary of the lighter weight ventilated hats.

But this was such a revelation on a very hot (for me) longer ride in rising to 27°c temps. I couldn't have ridden today in my Gatehouse HS1, for instance. The dial fit (new to me in riding hats) kept the Uvex Exxential II exactly in place without it ever feeling too tight. It'll do me grand in hot weather.

I'm off to investigate proper crash hats with MIPs next, there were none in stock to try when I bought the Uvex.

Yes I love my UVEX mips too for being cool, comfy adjustable with dial etc. but wonder if should have an even safer option too.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Yes I love my UVEX mips too for being cool, comfy adjustable with dial etc. but wonder if should have an even safer option too.

I think only you can answer that.

For me, I'm personally happy with the standard of protection it offers but it's a very personal decision.

From what I can see, it's a Champion hat that is #1 ranking but they don't fit my head shape at all so think I'd be less safe in it (from the movement etc) than I would be in a slightly lower ranking but better fitting hat.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I think only you can answer that.

For me, I'm personally happy with the standard of protection it offers but it's a very personal decision.

From what I can see, it's a Champion hat that is #1 ranking but they don't fit my head shape at all so think I'd be less safe in it (from the movement etc) than I would be in a slightly lower ranking but better fitting hat.

Yes I’ve never been able to find a skull cap that fits my head shape.

Cloball

Visit site
Just to pigging back as I'm also considering going MIPs I need to replace my hat I've had a Charles and Owen 4star with Snell for the past few years but now I think I might go for the MIPs instead (it's also cheaper 🤷) I'm not sure I entirely know how the snell standard works.

MIPS or snell??

I had to type this 3 times as autocorrect snell to smell constantly!!

Boughtabay

Visit site
Just to pigging back as I'm also considering going MIPs I need to replace my hat I've had a Charles and Owen 4star with Snell for the past few years but now I think I might go for the MIPs instead (it's also cheaper 🤷) I'm not sure I entirely know how the snell standard works.

MIPS or snell??

I had to type this 3 times as autocorrect snell to smell constantly!!

According to Virginia tech’s tests there’s only 1 MIPS skullcap that’s rated significantly better for concussion prevention than the 4star. To me that implies that more generally MIPS technology for equestrians is not where other sports are. If I had a local fitter I would have tried the 4star and the champion revolve x-air MIPS (I wouldn’t buy a new brand online without trying it on somewhere first). we only have Charles owen stockists so I went for the 4star. Personally, I wouldn’t go any further down the list for a MIPS helmet specifically - but hopefully more will climb the rankings in the future.

Cloball

Visit site
@Boughtabay thanks that's really helpful, champions do not fit my head at all but C&O always do so I'll replace like with like. I bought the 4star in the first place for going to Mongolia as I didn't want a head injury in the middle of literal no where.

Skib

sites.google.com
With my particular Charles Owen MIPS skull cap, there is a big difference from the Snell HS1 in that the new hat must be put on from the front and it does not come down so far on the back of one's neck.
I fell off quite regularly out hacking when learning to ride and when one topples over the shoulder one is likely to fall on ones back (protected by my BP) and then one's head tips back so the back edge of ones hat may press into the back of one's neck. The back of my neck is pretty permanently sore from these falls. The padding at the back of the HS1 was increased at one point to deal with this problem.,

The new hat is shorter at the back and does not press into one's neck. I have not yet fallen off while wearing it but it wouldnt reach my neck at the back and the thickness of the back rim of the hat would hopefully prevent ones head falling backwards and would keep one's neck clear of the ground.

I always used to wear a hard hat whie working on the yard. I dont think these new hats are necessarilly the best for doing that and I have kept my HS1 as a yard hat.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
It's this one.

This is the one next on my list to purchase. (If it fits my head of course! But I tend to get on well with CO)

Cragrat

Visit site
I chose the 4star based on it being the highest ranking helmet stocked local to me. I had considered MIPS but given there’s only 1 that is ranking significantly better than the others at the moment, I’d only want that one and we don’t have any stockists anywhere near sadly

Exactly this.

I didn't want to buy just aany old MIPS, I trust the CO 4 star, and I couldn't find a fitter for a decent MIPS within a couple of hours driving each way.

Squeak

Visit site
Those who are thinking of buying online - I buy everything online but hats, even if you know they fit you, you have no idea that the hat hasn't been dropped or battered by the courier.

When I asked at the tack shop which was better SNELL or MIPS they said whichever hat fits best. For me that happened to be the MIPS (MS1) and it is a lot lighter than the HS1 which has to be a good thing when thinking of keeping your balance etc.

I haven't read the full report from Virginia Tech but I'm sure a poster mentioned in the past that there were a couple of fundamental flaws in the testing and so it needed to be taken with a pinch of salt?

phizz4

Visit site
There has been some doubt posted about the effectiveness of MIPS, and some consider it to be more of a marketing ploy. There is a good balanced article here: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/what-is-mips/
You need to take the style of helmet into account. Some helmets, (Im thinking jockey skull cap type), don't have an adjustable headband/cradle inside to grip your head like climbing and cycling helmets have, and also Uvex riding helmets. These skull cap types stay on your head by gripping your skull. It's also why they can be poorer ventilated because they are closer fitting. If you get a rotational impact he MIPS must surely help to mitigate brain rotation (note, MIPS only allows a small degree of movement, so it's not perfect by any means). Cradle type helmets grip your skull via the cradle, not the lining of the helmet, so there is already some 'give' in the fit. Put a non-MIPS Uvex on and try turning it and there is some give. MIPS would add to that 'give'. If the helmet fits well without you having to crank the headband/cradle up too tight the whole helmet will rotate on impact to a degree anyway. As stated above, the best helmet for you is the one that fits best for the activity that you are engaged in. If it's a MIPS as well that's a bonus, but I wouldn't buy a helmet just because it's a MIPS (or it looks good with lots of bling!), I would buy it for comfort and practicality. Just my opinions based on cycling, climbing, horse riding and caving helmets!

Boughtabay

Visit site
Those who are thinking of buying online - I buy everything online but hats, even if you know they fit you, you have no idea that the hat hasn't been dropped or battered by the courier.

When I asked at the tack shop which was better SNELL or MIPS they said whichever hat fits best. For me that happened to be the MIPS (MS1) and it is a lot lighter than the HS1 which has to be a good thing when thinking of keeping your balance etc.

I haven't read the full report from Virginia Tech but I'm sure a poster mentioned in the past that there were a couple of fundamental flaws in the testing and so it needed to be taken with a pinch of salt?

The trials have been running across many sports that use helmets since 2011 and are peer reviewed. I’m sure there have been advancements in the methods used since it started. There isn’t any method that will cover all eventualities but there aren’t any alternatives at the moment (that I’m aware of) that provide unbiased reviews of equestrian helmets.

The reality is that riding helmets aren’t that great at preventing concussion they’re more geared towards preventing skull fractures (e.g. Connor et al., 2019) but given Virginia tech is at least trying to replicate concussion scenarios I’m happy to use that as a guide until someone devised something better!

Birker2020

Visit site
There has been some doubt posted about the effectiveness of MIPS, and some consider it to be more of a marketing ploy. There is a good balanced article here: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/what-is-mips/
You need to take the style of helmet into account. Some helmets, (Im thinking jockey skull cap type), don't have an adjustable headband/cradle inside to grip your head like climbing and cycling helmets have, and also Uvex riding helmets. These skull cap types stay on your head by gripping your skull. It's also why they can be poorer ventilated because they are closer fitting. If you get a rotational impact he MIPS must surely help to mitigate brain rotation (note, MIPS only allows a small degree of movement, so it's not perfect by any means). Cradle type helmets grip your skull via the cradle, not the lining of the helmet, so there is already some 'give' in the fit. Put a non-MIPS Uvex on and try turning it and there is some give. MIPS would add to that 'give'. If the helmet fits well without you having to crank the headband/cradle up too tight the whole helmet will rotate on impact to a degree anyway. As stated above, the best helmet for you is the one that fits best for the activity that you are engaged in. If it's a MIPS as well that's a bonus, but I wouldn't buy a helmet just because it's a MIPS (or it looks good with lots of bling!), I would buy it for comfort and practicality. Just my opinions based on cycling, climbing, horse riding and caving helmets!
Thank you, that is really helpful.

ycbm

Visit site
MIPS don't fit the same as standard and you can't usually return a hat for safety reasons, so be aware if you buy mail order.

Puddock

Visit site
I found that out to my chagrin. I’d say they come up a bit smaller in general. With that in mind, I have a brand new (tags still attached) 56cm/ 6 and 7/8s Champion Junior X-air Revolve with MIPS needing a new home at a very reasonable price! That’s my usual size, but it’s too small for me. Only ever been tried on. https://www.griggsequestrian.co.uk/...ggMVz5JoCR1q1we2EAQYCSABEgK3V_D_BwE#278=31549

I bought it to replace my Charles Owen MIPS, which saved my bacon when my horse and I both had a nasty tumble.

Puddock

Visit site
I do understand the point about a hat bought online not fitting (see my earlier post), but I just wanted to add that hats could just as easily be dropped or damaged on their way to shops, or indeed in them. The delivery methods for shop stock will be very similar and we can only hope they have been well-packaged.

After my online ordering size failure, I did go to a local tack shop and buy a hat, at a £50 premium to the online cost. There were boxes stacked up haphazardly everywhere and various liners and things being taken in and out, so clearly people were handling the hats regularly. 🤷‍♀️
[/QUOTE]