Miserable mare :(

Visit site
I’ve had my cob for 10 weeks now and previously she’s been stabled. We got her a companion last week and since then been out 24/7. The last few days she’s been very wary round me, walks away when new mare approaches and generally looks miserable! She has just come into season …. Is this just an ‘in season’ thing? The rains been relentless but they get hay twice a day, balancer lick etc etc. thanks :)

Visit site
Do you think she's being bullied by the other horse?
Possibly a bit but then the new ones only been a week and very much dominant already …. The new one follows my cob everywhere, stands by her when she’s lying down …. Seems very protective. Take one or the other into the yard and the other goes mad galloping around!

Visit site
Do you think she's being bullied by the other horse? If she's used to being stabled, she might be finding the relentless rain a bit much, does she have a field shelter, and if so, is the other horse allowing her to use it?
Hoping to make the shelter this weekend, but plenty of natural shelter ….. maybe she’s finding it hard been outside :(

Visit site
I’d say she’s not enjoying being out so much, is she hungry? Has she got plenty to eat?
ad lib hay - which I will put in more seperate piles, been moving her gradually of hard food as she desperately needs to loose weight before spring …. She has had a total change in routine this last week, then the rain, and a new companion! Maybe I’m overthinking and need to leave it another week????

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
ad lib hay - which I will put in more seperate piles, been moving her gradually of hard food as she desperately needs to loose weight before spring …. She has had a total change in routine this last week, then the rain, and a new companion! Maybe I’m overthinking and need to leave it another week????
I think you have changed too much, too soon really. If possible I would bring them both in for a few hours to dry out and go to sleep in comfort.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
In what way does she look miserable?
Mine mooch around the field, heads down and relaxed or they have a corner of the field they stand in with their backs to the wall resting.

It could just be a big change for her having a new home, new people, new horses and change of routine so might just take her some time to settle in.

Visit site
In what way does she look miserable?
Mine mooch around the field, heads down and relaxed or they have a corner of the field they stand in with their backs to the wall resting.

It could just be a big change for her having a new home, new people, new horses and change of routine so might just take her some time to settle in.
She’s eating fine, she’s just changed I guess around me …. Usually she would shout to me and come running, now she’s like whatever! But then I watch her and she’s all cuddles! She’s looking v happy at the mo munching hay and been in field! She is in season so maybe this effects things more then I expected?