Misery loves company… non displaced hairline fracture

Julia0803

Visit site
Bit of a self pitying post really…

Some of you may remember that my lovely cob tore his straight sesamoidian ligament in August/September 2020 (the same injury as Boggle). We had a really rough time. He was prescribed 12w boxrest with twice daily walking, first in hand then once ridden and once inhand. All went well till that point so we were told to introduce small bursts of trot building up over 12w, and he could have an hour out in a small paddock, so long as he stayed calm, no running about.

Unfortunately he went lame again just at the end of the trot work… he’d reinjured himself. Back to 12w of boxrest and the walk program as before. By week 10 he was really struggling mentally, resulting in dangerous behaviour (absolutely NOT like him).

The vet came back as I said we can’t go on like this. Unfortunately he was still responsive to pressure on the area and 1/10 lame. We agreed to turn him him away for 3 months with daily turn out in the herd as being alone was (I think) contributing to his stress. After the three months, he was still very slightly short on it but vet said start walking him as you don’t want the ligament to shorten through lack of use.

We did 12w walking again, building up to 1.5hrs every day. At his next vet review he was sound and we were told to start trot work and build up to 15min of trot per day over 12w with as much walking as you like/can do. Due to winter that took longer but at the end of April the vet came out and finally signed him off- completely sound and no longer any reaction when the area was pinched/prodded. We were told to start cantering and finally go and have some fun after a really tough 20 months…

We were aiming to do some pleasure rides etc this summer and generally seize the moment and get out and about. We did our first local pleasure ride in may. He was an absolute star and I could have burst with happiness. The recovery had been so long and so bleak that for a lot of it I was very doubtful he’d come right.

A week later, on the 16th, he came in lame with a cut to the hock from (what looked like) a kick. Vet came out and stapled it, danilon and antibiotics and he should be right in a few days…. except he wasn’t…. So the vet came back on the 24th and said there was a ‘suspicious’ line on the X-ray. But it wasn’t quite in the right/expected place so probably not sinister but to play safe, boxrest him and re X-ray in 2.5weeks…

On Friday he was xrayed again… except now you can see another faint line at 90 degrees to the original ‘suspicious’ one, starting straight under the original cut (So an upside down L shape).

Apparently it is a non displaced hairline fracture. I’m absolutely devastated. He has to do another 4.5 weeks of boxrest and the vet will come back in mid July to X-ray again.

He is struggling with the boxrest. I think, having done so much of it over the past two years he’s got no patience for it at all- understandably! He’s very cross and making his feelings known.

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar fracture and could tell me how things went for them?

The only positive seems to be the vet’s optimistic prognosis, that it should heal well and then not cause any further issue. Unlike the soft tissues, once bone has healed it isn’t inherently weaker etc and shouldn’t limit him at all.

Thank you for reading my long whinging post!

Julia0803

Visit site
@Starzaan thank you, that’s good to hear from someone with a lot of experience.

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

Apparently he’s a lot happier when I’m not there (!). He’s more settled, whereas as soon as he hears my car, he’s banging the door, picking up his head collar and flinging it and kicking over water buckets. I’m fairly sure he thinks I’m either being intentionally mean or phenomenally stupid by not turning him out!

AandK

Visit site
My 25yo fractured his elbow in 2005. He was box rested (cross tied as well) for 6 weeks, then started in hand walking. The injury was in the November, he was back out Eventing the following March, no issues with it since.
Fingers crossed for your boy.

Uliy

Visit site
My horse had a hairline fracture, although to her left foreleg.

Unfortunately it was 4 months of box rest in total - 1 completely in the box, 1 with hand grazing (although I abandoned that towards the end due to dangerous behaviour for us both!), 1 month hand walking (she was MUCH better on concrete) and 1 month with exercise (walk, then introducing trot and canter as appropriate). The vet told me it would have actually been healed by month 3, but the extra month with exercise was to make totally sure it was all ok.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear, but she’s absolutely fine now and you’d never know it had happened! Amazingly, during the month totally in her box, she was fine and I think just accepted it was her life now. Taking her out for hand grazing was a bit more challenging (hence abandoning it ?‍♀️)

I’m so sorry you’ve had such a long stint of box rest, I hope this is the last ?

Annagain

Visit site
My share horse had a star fracture (like a windscreen when it's been hit by stone, a little hole with several small cracks off it) when he was 15. It wasn't a bone chip as nothing came off and it wasn't all the way through so not a full on break so probably a bit similar to a hairline fracture. He recovered fully and stayed in work (including jumping) until he was 25 when he damaged a suspensory ligament in the field. He's fully sound again now (at 26) but we've decided it's not fair to bring a 26yr old horseback into work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Cross tie him sedate him do want you need to do and he will get through this .
I box rested a horse in plaster cross tied in a tiny stall to keep him still ,he was sedated much of the time it saved his life and he came back to work.
Terrible bad luck ,have a cyber hug from me .

Julia0803

Visit site
Thank you everyone.

I’ve not been told to cross-tie. In fact I’ve been told he can have some hand grazing opposite his stable, if necessary. Possibly due to where it is? (I’ve included the X-ray- if the attach function works!)

The vet seemed to suggest the fracture was stable, and whilst there was a risk if turned out etc, walking around his regular sized stable wasn’t an issue… tho obviously now a bit worried that’s too relaxed… (just re reading my original message I don’t think I made it clear, he is now sound. Before the second X-ray the vet examined him and I trotted him up and he was sound).

Whilst he’s clearly very peeved with me, and compared to normal, he’s being very rude, he’s thankfully not being dangerous or explosive in the way that some boxrested horses can be (Aside from towards the end of the second set of boxrest, he’s always been incredibly polite and easy- he was bought nearly nine years ago as as very nervous and novice son’s first pony and he’s normally foot perfect for anyone/a child to ‘do’).

I did ask the vet if I needed to be worried about his door banging with a front leg risking damaging the fracture on the back and he said no.

Whist he did bang when I arrived this afternoon (clearly his food slave was being too slow), he seemed a little more settled/resigned to his fate, than previously.

Hmm… I might give the vet a call and have a chat re why he doesn’t think he needs to be cross tied to make sure it’s not putting him at risk.

I’m hoping we can kind of get into a rhythm and the next few weeks pass quickly…. And smoothly with no set backs!!

Attachments

• C5113081-6CBC-4A17-A8FF-AFA46358B433.jpeg
    C5113081-6CBC-4A17-A8FF-AFA46358B433.jpeg
    924.4 KB · Views: 35

Annagain

Visit site
I think GS meant cross tie him if he's very unsettled in the stable, if he's calm in there and the fracture's stable there's no reason to. Not every fracture needs it. Monty was hand grazing for 30 mins twice (or three times) a day when he was on box rest but he was the model patient (other than going on hunger strike) who never even tried to jog. In fact he was so good (as were the rest of the herd) we could hand graze him in the field with the others - it was better in the long run as they didn't get excited when he got turned back out and he and Arch could have a little groom most days too.

Deltofe2493

Visit site
My horse was box rested end of March for suspicion of hairline fracture / bruise. (Don't actually know as nothing showed on x-rays and MRI too expensive). Trotted up 6 weeks ago and completely sound! We've done 6 weeks of walking. Another 6 weeks of walk and trot and 6 weeks walk trot and canter. All being well we should have the all clear should come in September.

She has a lot going on with negative pedal bones and suspensories so we have another review tomorrow. Echoing others, I do believe they recover nicely.

Wishing a super speedy recovery for your coblet. Box rest / rehab is so tough for horse and owner. Sending cyber hugs. xxx

Julia0803

Visit site
Just a quick update for anyone searching the term in future looking for a prognosis…

He had a 3rd X-ray on 13th July- all healed and still sound on all 4 legs. He had a few days of just being turned out and getting used to moving about again. Then building up ridden walk work slowly. The vet advised 4 weeks walking, then two trotting before starting very short canters.

He’s now done 6 weeks of walking. He had a physio check up at week 4 as I thought he was feeling quite tight on his right side, which she confirmed finding he had some tightness along his neck. As I was going away for 10 days we agreed to hold off on the trot until she comes back in early September to check him again and then start trotting.

My lovely yard manager, who’s been looking after him, and friend who’s been riding, have been doing the prescribed exercises and both say he’s feeling more supple so hopefully the physio will be happy for him to start trot work within the next two weeks. ?

Hopefully that will be helpful to anyone who finds themselves in the same position.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Just a quick update for anyone searching the term in future looking for a prognosis…

He had a 3rd X-ray on 13th July- all healed and still sound on all 4 legs. He had a few days of just being turned out and getting used to moving about again. Then building up ridden walk work slowly. The vet advised 4 weeks walking, then two trotting before starting very short canters.

He’s now done 6 weeks of walking. He had a physio check up at week 4 as I thought he was feeling quite tight on his right side, which she confirmed finding he had some tightness along his neck. As I was going away for 10 days we agreed to hold off on the trot until she comes back in early September to check him again and then start trotting.

My lovely yard manager, who’s been looking after him, and friend who’s been riding, have been doing the prescribed exercises and both say he’s feeling more supple so hopefully the physio will be happy for him to start trot work within the next two weeks. ?

Hopefully that will be helpful to anyone who finds themselves in the same position.
Sounds promising ?

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I must have missed your earlier post about this, but I'm really pleased to see your update!
Bob had a hairline fracture of his cannon bone after going off for a jolly following loosing his rider cross country. It's quite a common injury in race horses. He was sound and in really good form after a bit of a break but lame after he started jumping again and the x-ray picked it up. He had 3 months box rest, I think, then brought slowly back into work and came out in cracking form at the start of the season.