Miss Collie - finally growing up?

Karran

Visit site
I feel this may jinx it, but we have had a week of good walks! To quote someone from another thread, walking her off-lead always feels like "going into battle". I'm prepared with ball, tuggies, treats. Constantly on the scout out for bikes/small children/joggers that may incite a chase meltdown session.

Over the last week, we've been slowly losing the need for the emergency recall word "Ball!" and she's coming back just for a treat and on the verbal command. On Saturday we had possibly our best ever walks, in the morning we passed a pack of 6 joggers (i know!) on our morning walk, we accidentally met a woman on a lovely dun cob, each time she recalled to me. I only got the ball out for fun times and not emergencies.

We went out Saturday evening and again she was paw perfect. Our nearest local park is just a small rectangle with tennis courts at one end, a BMX track at the other and a loop around three 5 a side pitches in the middle.
It was a lovely day and so the park was heaving! Did she take any notice of the kids whizzing about on bikes? Did she notice the joggers that lapped us? The kids on rollerblades got some funny looks but each time she disengaged before chasing and came back to me.

Sunday she was a bit more on edge after bumping into two muzzled malamutes (she has a thing about fluffy big dogs currently as there is a man who walks in that little park with a longhaired GSD who apparently doesn't need to be on a lead and therefore it rushes any dog snarling and barking. We now abort all walks as soon as it appears, but the damage has been done!) so it took her a long while to settle down but she did towards the end of our walk.

Went out today, usual array of morning walkers and joggers and she's still paying attention and focussing on me. The ball is only coming out for fun times and training to retrieve to hand.

Dare I whisper that she may be finally growing up and learning to behave in public?!

151959488_10165059403455051_9162859224744937505_o.jpg

Karran

Visit site
oh I love Miss Collie and you give me hope that little madam Ripley might actually grow up one day. How old is Miss Collie now? Anyway huge congratulations you have obviously worked very hard to get this far (any tips gratefully appreciated :) )

Oh God I can tell you loads about i've done wrong, everything right seems to be accidental!
She's 2 now, I adopted her at 7 months, but she was very reactive so it wasn't until she was a year old that I felt able to lose the muzzle and start proper work with her.
Big things that have helped:
I don't really bowl feed, she is fed while "working", any extra is in a slow feeder/kong at end of day. We play silly games, at first on a long line, like throwing large bits of food ahead, behind, to the side and when she's eaten that and is looking at me, I throw another piece in a different direction/through my legs or run like an idiot so she comes after me to get another piece.
She knows the "look at me" game so if anything does trigger her, she looks at me to get a treat and fuss and we use bribery to pass things or I just scatter it on the floor.
I play hide and seek when shes not looking, turn sharply in other directions and wait for her to realise i'm not close by. Focus work on my hand that's dropping food, getting her to walk sideways, backwards, to heel offlead.

My big thing at the moment is trying to learn flirt pole games with her, but I get into a tangle or prolong it and she looses interest.
Our absolute goal is to be able to attend group agility/flyball classes without chasing other dogs/handlers because she's gone into such high arousal meltdowns.

Karran

Visit site
Haha! There have been quite a few walks where i've been on the verge of tears and consoling myself with the thought of a glass of wine when I get safely home even to have with my breakfast!
I'm sure other more experienced dog people could have sorted her out sooner and I hope that i'm not reporting back in a months time that she's back to being a horrid cowbag.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I think you are truly amazing and deserve a medal! Or at least a large glass of wine.
Long may the new Miss Collie continue.
What she said ^^^^
You've done absolute wonders with her and I suspect she will always present her challenges but all credit to you for working through them and giving this dog a fabulous life.