Missing Corrie Mckeague Bury St Edmunds area

MrsMurs

Visit site
I've been following this very sad story about the missing RAF lad from Bury, and it seems those involved in the search are none the wiser as to his whereabouts - his poor family. I don't know the area but apparently Bury is surrounded by areas of woodland and countryside favoured by dog walkers and hackers etc. I know the police have asked for anyone out and about in the surrounding countryside to get in touch if they saw anything unusual, and to check outbuildings etc. So thought it might be a good idea to get the word out on here to make people aware if they weren't already.
Thinking of his family
#findcorrie
https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/missing-persons/corrie-mckeague

exracehorse

Visit site
I live just down the road from BSE. it's like he's just disappeared into thin air. He was apparently drinking on that evening and often walked back to his base alone

MrsMurs

Visit site
Exracehorse, is the area surrounded by hacking routes as one article suggested? Just wondering how possible it would be to spread the word among riders and yards if that is the case? There's a huge Facebook and Twitter campaign to help with his disappearance, but if you're not that way inclined it could mean that a whole demographic of people are being missed. If people are aware as they go about their daily rides in that area, it might turn something up. The family must be desperate, bless them.

exracehorse

Visit site
I don't know about hacking routes. I'm 14 miles in the other direction from bury. I'd have thought that he'd have been spotted if his body was on a bridle way. It's very rural from bury to his base and if he was walking on the road and then took a detour across a field or wood, he would be difficult to find. I know an extensive search has been done but it's a big area. He may have thumbed a lift. It's very sad.

rowan666

Visit site
Did they not have the dogs out searching these areas in the days following his disappearance? If it's a rural area he could easily have ended up in a ditch or something, how many stories have we heard of horses going missing, search parties sent out, only to be found sometimes weeks later in a ditch not very far from where they went missing in the first place, sometimes the most obvious places are often over looked

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am half an hours drive from bury and we have posters up in our village not sure who put them there but it keeps him in our thoughts....lets hope there is some news soon...

Dizzydancer

Visit site
It's a chilling situation.
A young chap near me has just been found just over 3 weeks since his disappearance and he has been found in a spot that has been searched numerous times but due to undergrowth even with dogs out sadly he was still missed.
I hope this family get an outcome sooner rather than later then they knowing must be the worst

Natch

Visit site
There are posters up EVERYWHERE for miles around. Sadly no news.

The area where he would have walked home (9 miles, I think) is rural, with everything from ditches to woods and fields and hedgerows and barns and whatnot. Despite best efforts searching, if he has taken a short cut, got disoriented and lost, he could have ended up *anywhere*. The best hope is that he wanted to disappear (as sometimes servicepeople do), and is safe and well somewhere but doesn't want to get in touch.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I think initially the police/investigation thought the same thing regarding him walking home & something happening.
However:
1) CCTV shows him going into a loading bay at the back of some shops. After that there is no CCTV of him again in the town. It has been suggested that there is no way he could've left on foot & not been picked up on some form of CCTV.
2) his mobile phone was believed to have left the town in a bin lorry, which did go into the bay but they have been unable to find the telephone. The investigation doesn't suspect his body was ever in the bin lorry (by accident or on purpose)
3) His behaviour up until this point was not characteristic of someone who wanted to 'disappear'. He seemed happy in the forces & was very involved with many aspects of it including social sides. He was in a happy relationship, with a supportive family & he had recently got a puppy.

Recent posts I've seen from people in the area are now asking if someone you know has been acting strange since he disappeared....I'm guessing they are moving down the 'someone else is involved' route?

MrsMurs

Visit site
I've been following the facebook page 'Find Corrie', and someone has posted that if a search is organised (which I think I read was going to be actioned very soon) especially for areas like Thetford Forest, why not ask local Horse Riders to get involved as they could cover large areas on horseback.
I'm not local to the area but this seems a good idea. This poor lad has to be somewhere. Please everyone, stay alert while you're out and about. His poor family are living a nightmare.
Link to facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/307450186284715/
x