Missing pony Derbyshire

WelshD

Visit site
Someone on FB says he is ok and was found stuck in some bushes close to home.

I guess that would have made him hard to spot but protected him from the weather to some degree at least

Great news that he is home :)

putasocinit

Visit site
fantastic news. maybe they will be more careful now with what they put behind him before he becomes totally bombproof to the sound of scraping behind him.

MadasaFerret

Visit site
Lets hope the lesson is well and truly learned, and for those who know nothing about driving, believe me, a blue plastic sledge on the road is not acceptable in any way, shape or form regardless of how you go about training them. Training dowe not take place on the public highway.
How they managed to do it with no collar suggest the poor horse was pulling from the pad, which will hurt him.

I doubt they will ever get this guy to accept draught work again.

titch

Visit site
The pony has been found, I'm sure the owners are aware of their mistake.

Just for the record, I think some poeple on here have been far too harsh. I'm pleased all of you are so perfect you never make any mistakes, and I hope Star's owner's have not read this post. Whilst I'm sure the owners now acknowledge they are very lucky and will not make the mistake again, I wonder how many of us have taken our 'bombproof' neds for granted? I still don't think people have a right to pass judgement, the pony is well loved and I'm certainly pleased to hear he's home.

Last edited:

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
Guess this proved the point of bombproof not actually meaning anything for horse. I had to laugh the other day, I definitely take my "bombproof" horse for granted as me and a friend were over taken going past a car park by a tractor and trailer containing a job while hidden behind a wall was a man using a chainsaw and his friend yelling at him to turn it off. About as bombproof as they come, however the following day he refuse to go anywhere near a tree stump he had passed loads of times before. Horses hey!!

Glad he has been found safe and sound!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
While anyone can make a mistake, harnessing up a pony, without any form of collar, to a plastic sledge, on a public road, is not a mistake, it is wilful foolishness, which the pony ended up suffering for. I suggest next time they try towing the sledge behind a bike!

titch

Visit site
While anyone can make a mistake, harnessing up a pony, without any form of collar, to a plastic sledge, on a public road, is not a mistake, it is wilful foolishness, which the pony ended up suffering for. I suggest next time they try towing the sledge behind a bike!

I'm not denying it was a stupid mistake. The owners are not denying it was a stupid mistake either. I guess the point I'm trying to make is 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'. And I guess if you really need to say something, then please put it in a constructive way (this is not aimed at you BTW, but just in general at some of the posts).

For example, I won't turn a horse out in the snow as I think it's dangerous. A friend has had their horse PTS this weekend as it fell on the snow in the field and broke it's leg. As I said, personally I don't turn out on snow, but did I say that to my friend? Of course not, I offer my deepest sympathies to what is every horse owner's worst nightmare.

I am pleased Star is found, and I'm sure many lessons will be learned.

putasocinit

Visit site
Titch - dry up. We are all glad he has been found but we are also entitled to voice our concern as to how he got loose in the first place, this is not an open and shut forum. Alls well that ends well, and you going on is just going to get others making their posts and so on and so on

Carefreegirl

Visit site
(ssshhhhhhhh.....when I was younger I tied my long-suffering pony to a sledge, unbeknownst to parents. It was terrific fun.)

*Shhhh* me too :D We used a hessian feed sack with the bottom cut off for a collar, lunge lines as reins and shafts and a sledge to sit on.......

Glad pony was found :)

Camel

Visit site
So pleased he's been found :D:D ... I used to do all sorts of ridiculous things with my mini sheltland when I was a kid .... there for the grace of god go I and all that :rolleyes:

xx

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
So pleased he's been found :D:D ... I used to do all sorts of ridiculous things with my mini sheltland when I was a kid .... there for the grace of god go I and all that :rolleyes:

xx

EXACTLY. Some of the miserable so and sos on this post esp while the pony was still missing. Of course it was daft. Of course they will learn their lesson. But equally, everything horsey represents a risk and I dont think the owners need a lecture in order to learn the lesson they will have learned - the outcome will have been lesson enough.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Blimey - hope it doesn't poo on the living room carpet or cock it's leg up the door frame :)

Don't do Facebook so couldn't see pictures :)

Camel

Visit site
Frances, mine used to live in the house when he could get away with it! He lived in the back garden and would sneak in at every opportunity and nick the dogs 'winalot', my Mum used to make him a bucket of tea in winter for his breakfast .... he was a stallion until he started to try and sh@g my teenage friends, then it was bye bye balls ...(elf and safety and all that ;))

Eta - 'back garden was about an acre!