Missing riding

lunginggirl

Visit site
A few months back my boy went lame, after investigations and surgery he is now on the mend and very content living a life of a in hand walk twice a day and hay while he is recovering.

Before he went lame I was really starting to enjoy riding again, after winter and a tough few months at work I was planning to start having lessons again and start really working on my riding after a few months of being a happy hacker/light schooler.

I know that it will be the case that my boy will be a beautiful field ornament and occasional walk out and that is fine. He has been with me for 10 years and I would not sell him for this reason at all. He is not old and I know he will be with me for the rest of his life.

But..... I do really miss riding. I had a few goals set for myself and was so excited for the challenge. Especially as I now have a lot more time and it looks like it will stay this way. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Have you just accepted this or have you looked at your options? Maybe looked at lessons at a school, brought another, loan or share etc?

Would love to hear your experiences. :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your boy.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I'd just spent the majority of my savings on what was meant to be my forever horse only for her to suffer a career-ending injury a month after I bought her. Any spare money was going into rehabbing her, so buying another just wasn't an option at the time. Fortunately with the help of my trainer I managed to find an amazing dressage schoolmaster who I took on permanent loan and after several years consequently bought last year. We sadly lost my mare not long after I took him on, and he was honestly a lifeline during the bleak months after I lost her. So I'd say if you can afford to take on a second I'd definitely do it.

lunginggirl

Visit site
Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your mare, it is really hard owning horses sometimes! When it is greats its amazing and when it goes wrong its so tough.

It is nice to hear other peoples experiences with this, I am stabled on a very small yard so its good to be able to hear peoples experiences. I have been browsing horses online thinking that I would like to get another one, like you said, I will just look into the cost of it first as I would always keep my boy on!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your mare, it is really hard owning horses sometimes! When it is greats its amazing and when it goes wrong its so tough.

It is nice to hear other peoples experiences with this, I am stabled on a very small yard so its good to be able to hear peoples experiences. I have been browsing horses online thinking that I would like to get another one, like you said, I will just look into the cost of it first as I would always keep my boy on!

It's really tough. When I lost my mare the last thing I wanted to do was go to the yard, but my boy slowly but surely coaxed me through the heartache, I really do think without him I might have given up horses entirely. Cost wise, it was tight sometimes, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

daydreamer

Visit site
Sorry about your boy. In the past couple of weeks I’ve retired the horse I’ve had on long term loan. He has gone back to his owner for 24/7 turn out. I have a 2yo and hoped they would meet in the middle but we didn’t quite make it! I looked at finances and decided I probably shouldn’t get another one for loan. I’m hoping to sort a share at my old yard. I tried one but was told he could rear so regretfully said no to him. I’m waiting for another to come sound after laminitis so I can try him. Once I’ve had a few rides I plan to have the occasional lesson at a v good (but expensive!) riding school. I miss riding and I’m missing being at the yard for 3-4 hrs every evening!

McFluff

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your mare. I had similar when my mare went lame last year. I was lucky and had space at yard and funds (and supportive OH). So I decided to get another horse. I intended to keep my mare as long as she was field sound. Sadly I lost her a month after getting my boy. Was very glad I had my boy then as he helped me through the heartache.
If funds are tight, then lessons (when they start up) are worth considering. Also, if you help out at Riding Club you may hear of a share or other option that might suit your situation. Good luck with whatever you do.

lunginggirl

Visit site
Sorry about your boy. In the past couple of weeks I’ve retired the horse I’ve had on long term loan. He has gone back to his owner for 24/7 turn out. I have a 2yo and hoped they would meet in the middle but we didn’t quite make it! I looked at finances and decided I probably shouldn’t get another one for loan. I’m hoping to sort a share at my old yard. I tried one but was told he could rear so regretfully said no to him. I’m waiting for another to come sound after laminitis so I can try him. Once I’ve had a few rides I plan to have the occasional lesson at a v good (but expensive!) riding school. I miss riding and I’m missing being at the yard for 3-4 hrs every evening!

Oh I bet you are excited to be able to start work with your youngster!
I'd be happy if I could have a share but my yard is very small and isn't really the option for me to ride any!