Mites

noodle_

Visit site
Ive no idea if anyone remembers or not but my pony had bald patches on her and we were baffled as to what they were etc - i had bloods/skin scrape done etc - turns out they are some rare mite on her body which were making her bald

so ive been treating her with that skanky yellow stuff (i stink...), twice now and she seems much better.... but question (albeit possibly stupid question as ive no idea about this sort of thing!!)

the rugs she had when she "had" mites... im going to put in to wash - she has a new one on now as shes been bathed a 2nd time so assuming they are gone etc... (no itchiness/no more balding etc).... can mites live on rugs??! shes in a brand new rug now while i wash the others anyhow but just a bit baffled

told you it was a stupid question :p

rowan666

Visit site
I would spray with disinfectant before and after washing just to be on the safe side or just give your vet a quick ring and check weather the rugs worth keeping and washing or scrapping all together

noodle_

Visit site
thanks

was rather hoping to get away with just washing :eek: else im chucking £200 quids worth of rugs :eek: :eek:

but question is - can mites live in rugs?! or on rugs really??

shes been de-mited twice now and shoudl be mite free?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
When we had a mare with lice, who was treated with coopers, I put the rugs in a bag with a good dollop of coopers and then ran a steamer through the bag for about half an hour, it worked for that. An awful lot of parasites can live away from the host for a long time, as this allows for the protection of the species.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks - that had kinda crossed my mind if they just hitch a rug lift for a bit then come back :eek:

think i will throw them in the wash as shes currently in a brand new rug (after being washed) so should be ok :)

Palindrome

Visit site
Yes, you need to wash rug and I would also wash grooming brushes with hibiscrub or another disinfectant.
My mare has also come up with mites, but leg mites (chorioptic mange). The vet gave her 2 shots and said to change the bedding as they live in the straw and keep it as much as possible to fresh air. He also gave me a medicated shampoo that is hibiscrub plus some anti-bacterial. The life cycle of the mite is 2-3 weeks so you have to keep washing until you got ride of them all.
He said Lime Dip plus (sulfur stuff) is also good to use against them so if it does not clear up with the shampoo I'll use that afterwards. Is that what you are using?
Last thing, it's better to wash with warm water as it opens the pores of the skin so easier to get the mites out.

Last edited:

noodle_

Visit site
yep the lime dip is what i used

first time around 2 weeks ago - nice hot shower

today i washed her again - admitidly cold water but it was roasting here so she was lovely and warm in the sun :D

both with lime dip! (hibiscrubed - literally scrubbed!) and then lime dip - i STUNK!!!!! :D

i will wash her brushes next and throw her rugs into the rug wash

MochaDun

Visit site
Mine's just had the 2 jabs for mites - just lower legs/heels but can't believe what they can do to the skin but all healing now. I also put all my grooming kit in bucket of hibiscrub to soak, basically hibiscrubbed anything that had touched him in recent weeks and replaced the odd very old brush. Rug went off to be cleaned, all bedding taken out and replaced with new. Just waiting for a long enough day of decent sunshine and warmth to give him a proper bath as now he's moulting hopefully there's nowhere for them to run and hide! Jabs seemed very effective though but think I was lucky and caught them in time before they got too bedded in :D