Mo Farah!

mattydog

Visit site
Yes he did but it was fairly early on in the race and he didn't hurt himself fortunately. He really is a superstar though and comes across as a really nice person.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I didn't see him run, but all-hail to him and his win!

Did anyone see the Ethiopian girl, Ayana Almaz who won the 10k metres, shaved (slashed) 14 seconds from the record AND she also, during the same race broke the 5k record? Astonishing.

Alec.

bonny

Visit site
I didn't see him run, but all-hail to him and his win!

Did anyone see the Ethiopian girl, Ayana Almaz who won the 10k metres, shaved (slashed) 14 seconds from the record AND she also, during the same race broke the 5k record? Astonishing.

Alec.

Sadly I think there are more than a few raised eyebrows about her run

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
More than that I love the fact that the Brownlees can run a 10k not much slower than Monday and that's after a swim and bike!!

Zero00000

Visit site
I was just reading about Almaz Ayana, have to agree that it's a sad day when a world record cannot be appreciated and brings automatic assumptions

bonny

Visit site
Why 'sadly'? I hope that your reply isn't what I'm expecting!

Alec.

Because in sport anything that appears too good to be true is, she beat her personal best by miles as well as a record which is discredited and was expected to never be beaten by "clean athlete". A lot/all of the African athletes are tainted by drug rumours and she is no exception. To me it seems as if it's ok to bar the Russians for drugs but we seem unable or unwilling to do the same with the Africans. Maybe because that's where all the best distance runners come from ?

Alec Swan

Visit site
Surely the athlete concerned will be or has been tested, especially considering her apparently remarkable achievement. Should she prove positive, I cannot imagine that her efforts will be left in place. Just as the performance enhancing drugs are becoming ever more sophisticated, I'd imagine that the testing systems are keeping pace.

I genuinely hope and pray that I'm right and that she is clean.

Alec.

bonny

Visit site
Surely the athlete concerned will be or has been tested, especially considering her apparently remarkable achievement. Should she prove positive, I cannot imagine that her efforts will be left in place. Just as the performance enhancing drugs are becoming ever more sophisticated, I'd imagine that the testing systems are keeping pace.

Alec.

It's not that simple, no doubt her sample at the games will be fine but that doesn't mean she hasn't used drugs in her training which is where it counts. Whole countries are being suspected in covering up drug abuse and as we have seen countless times there are ways around the tests. The athletes and their coaches are always ahead of the testers ! I'm finding it hard not to be cynical about a lot of sports just now and anyone smashing a world record as she did has to lead to questions about where she found the huge improvement from.

Feival

Visit site
I really really really hope she is just that good without chemical help. Please can we keep my post about Mo or at least our brilliant GB team, The swimmers have been Majestic.

Alec Swan

Visit site
……..

Alec.

…….. ! I'm finding it hard not to be cynical about a lot of sports just now and anyone smashing a world record as she did has to lead to questions about where she found the huge improvement from.

I'm leaning towards your argument. When things seem too good to be true, that's because generally, they are.

Perhaps drugs testing should be abandoned and all sports should be allowed a free rein. Dreadful, isn't it?

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I really really really hope she is just that good without chemical help. Please can we keep my post about Mo or at least our brilliant GB team, The swimmers have been Majestic.

Of course we can, and the cyclists and gymnasts too, let's not forget! What of the girl who won silver on the trampoline and those who rowed for GB? Remarkable achievements from all of them. :)

Alec.

Copperpot

Visit site
More than that I love the fact that the Brownlees can run a 10k not much slower than Monday and that's after a swim and bike!!

His 10k PB is 1 min 46 secs slower and that was in a 10k track race. Not a triathlon it says. Still an incredible time. He's obviously a strong runner and his 10k times in a tri aren't much slower. That time is almost 2 laps behind though.