Mobile field shelters

cariad

Visit site
Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations for mobile field shelter suppliers in Lincolnshire, or anywhere else if they travel at no extra cost? Doesn't have to have any fancy "extras", plainer the better really, but does have to be sturdy due to big horses and strong winds.

Many thanks.

cariad

Visit site
Cheers! My last one was fine, but in a particularly bad wind, it just got caught at the wrong angle and was lifted up and thrown over the fence with such force onto it's roof it just collapsed. We did try putting it back together, but it wasn't going to work. We do have very thick hedges and rugs, but I think it's more for my peace of mind than the horses, who don't seem to care one way or the other and certainly always come out of winter looking fine.

July dreamer

Visit site
I can't help with a supplier but I was advised to secure mine by the people who delivered them, which I did by banging a half round fence post in the ground against the shelter and then a couple of nails to secure it. Not much use if you want to move the shelter regularly but I chose mobile in the hope that no one would complain and I wouldn't need planning permission. Would also recommend that you get a shelter with metal runners, the wooden ones rotted on ours. My boy mainly uses his in summer although other, more sensible horses, use it in winter as well.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I can't help with recommendations but as regarding making them as safe as you can regarding wind we picked a shelter which has the top 2ft of the back wall Yorkshire boarded rather than solid so the wind can pass through. We've also put in fence posts and screwed it to them.

jbless

Visit site
Lost a couple of field shelters due to wind. When rebuilt I acquired some ibc tanks which each hold 1000l of water. One either side, rope over the roof between them. That amounts to an extra 2 tonnes holding it down so I very much doubt they'll move now. If you want to move the shelter all you have to do is drain the water. Ibcs are used by lots of industries so you might find someone local who wants to get rid, or i think you can buy them online for about £50 each. If no water supply convenient, and you have access to a farm trailer, get an extra one to transport the water.

cariad

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I could do any/all of those. It did have steel runners, yes. I think I was just unlucky as we spent ages deciding on the right location because of the wind, but belt and braces next time round, I think. It's so true that they barely use it in winter and will stand in the middle of the field, bums to the wind rather then go in. I've got one that just will NOT have a rug on. But I think then, well, that's their choice and at least I know it's there. Some of them did use it more in summer.

Just got to source one now!