Mobile Stable - Advice please!

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Hi everyone

I put this post in Stable Yard, but have only had one reply.... Is it cos I is new?!? Or have I put it in the wrong place.

I'd be really grateful from some advice - everyone seems very experienced and knowledgable (hint, hint!!!)

Thank you!!

kateknights

Visit site
Sorry i can't help with the stable question, but I don't think you only have one reply because you are new, there are always more people in here.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
Kate x.

allijudd

Visit site
what sort of advice do you need to know...there are plenty of businesses which advertise in the back of the hh..

all i really know is that you dont need planning permission for them....

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Hi - sorry - see this from Stable Yard -

Hi

I have a mobile stable on order, due to arrive in a few weeks for my mare.

I rent the field from a friend and so don't want to do anything too permanent, due to planning regs.

A few questions -

Lighting - I have no power source, can anyone recommend a good supplier of horse proof lights that I can run from a car battery?

Flooring - I have rubber mats - should I put these down? Should I compact the earth first? I plan to bed on straw, will that drain ok with nothing underneath?

Insurance - It's cost me over 2k and I want to insure it somehow, in case it gets hit by lightening, or torched etc. My insurers (NFU) said they didn't cover that, and so did SEIB - any suggestions?

Am very excited and would be grateful for any advice or experience

Thanks!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
hi, as for ligting...use solar panel lights. They're quite cheap.
Use 'dirt' floor, as it's great. compact it down. I would think if you put down rubber matting over compacted ground there is always the risk of the soil 'moving' in damp condiditons which could be dangerous (the matting could lift).
try a home contents insurer and insure it as a 'shed'. I can't think why NFU won't insure it, but ring round companies and see what you can get. Someone must be able to insure a stable!!
good luck!

Claireg9

Visit site
Hi and welcome,
We used to keep a horse in a field shelter that we adapted to be a stable! We put straw over the normal grass based ground, but we deep littered so as to keep any wet that did get in out! But TBH the top clean layer was always very dry and it felt well comfy! as to lighting i have no idea what we did now?? cant remember, but soloar panels do seem like a good idea!
Also as a back up you can get some bloody good rechargable torch's these days that you can take with you and hang up on a ready made hook whilst your there, then take home to rechardge, there really bright these days! another thought is a generator, you could run lights off of, or i dont know what there called but those lamps that have a normal bulb with a plastic mesh around and a hook?? They run off of battery and are really bright!
I had problems with NFU and an unusual trailer
frown.gif
sighs!! the only thing i ca suggest is phone everyone, search on google for numbers.
Good luck xx

airedale

Visit site
they won't insure it because it is classified as an "unattended outbuilding" and farmers can have the same problem. It is down to the number of arsons on farms these days

you could put down those 'ground retaining' plastic grids that bed into the ground and then the mats on top

solar powered lights are good - the generator idea is a no-no unlessyou want it nicked

ChrissieCollins

New User
Visit site
You'll need a back up to solar panel lights. They're fine in the summer when you don't need them but in winter they tend not to get enough sunlight to charge properly. I used to use those inspection lamps that run off leisure batteries. I agree that a generator is a no go, it WILL be nicked, mine is concreted into a base but you don't want that. I'd go for the inspection lamps running off a battery. Get a couple of 110 leisure batteries to use one at a time so you always have power.

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Oooh - some brilliant ideas - thank you!

Will def investigate the plastic grids on the floor - had been thinking about that sort of thing for my pathways - ie to the muck heap.

It's qute sheltered so I'm not sure solar panels will get enough light ot charge, plus it's soooo secluded, v nickable!! Again, think I'll go for something portable & rechargable.

Thanks for all the advice - am off to do some googling now for suppliers......!!

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
i have got two mobile stables about a mnth ago, i had same concerns as you, we have put rubber mats and bedding on top, rubber mats are only across the fronof stables and wee drains away really well at back of stables into earth.
We are trying to decide about lights, we are thinking either the big gel batteries that we use for electric fencing or a small generator, let me know how you get on!!!!we can share our experiences!
Rach

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Excellent - cheers Rach!

What company did you use? Mine's ordered from Chart.

Good idea about the mats at the front - will do that!

I've actually ordered some lights (last night...!)

Took all the advice, and have gone for these -

<span style="color:red"> Rechargeable Lantern
24". Versatile, single / twin, rechargeable lantern, ideal for use in workshops and garages. Dual power system, AC (direct) / DC (recharge), which can be set to automatically turn on in case of power failure. Wall-mount or use foldable stand and carry handle to move around site.

</span>

£22.99 each from Screw-fix

Figured I can put them up, and then take home to charge up when they run out of juice.

Any other handy hints?!?

Will be getting water butt to plug in to guttering for haynets etc

L
x