Modern, horse-friendly slow hay feeder

Caol Ila

Visit site
I think Foinavon could do with a slow hay feeder, and I don't want to use the traditional haynet because I prefer him to eat naturally, grazing off the ground. I've Googled slow feeder hay boxes, and there are some nifty designs out there, but my God, are they expensive. Circa £200. Yowza. Anyone got any ideas for a slow feeding hay box that costs less than £200?

pistolpete

Visit site
I used to tie a haynet into a hay feeder box. Worked for my greedy highland. I’ll find a pic. These are free off building sites. They are used to carry paving slabs etc. i used a shires soft greedy feeder hay net as also worry about teeth with the nibble nets etc.

Attachments

• 3A68BCD3-551C-4AEB-B240-DB15232875FC.jpg
    3A68BCD3-551C-4AEB-B240-DB15232875FC.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 77

Reacher

Visit site
I don’t recall if he is shod but some makes of haynet can be used from the ground (nibbleze) (not used one myself and they are pricey for a haynet but I’ve seen them recommenced on here)

smolmaus

Visit site
I was looking myself and couldn't find anything under 200. Sadie is stabled overnight so went with an Elico hay pillow which was working well with a small-holed net inside it until she decided to start peeing on it. I don't see them lasting any time in a field though.

At the sanctuary we use the Hay Graze boxes and they are still £180 or so but they take a real beating and still functional.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have this rectangular shaped slow feed net (but it's not a net...exactly) that can just be tossed on the ground/in a corner. If the horse isn't shod, it's pretty low risk.

Looks like this:

81RyzFDwKxL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Caol Ila

Visit site
I saw the hay pillows and liked the look of it. That might work, as he's unshod. This thing: https://www.thehaypillow.com/ (okay, that one, like many horse things I want, might only be available in the US but I think I found a UK one somewhere).

I saw the Eazigrazer and the Hay Graze on my Googling search. I really loved the look of them, but winced at the price. Prefer them to the box made of pallets, though, as I could visualize a million ways that could go wrong and cost a lot more than £180 in vet bills.

Starzaan

Visit site
For anyone considering the Haygain Forager, in my opinion they aren’t worth the money. The concept is fantastic, but they’re an absolute ball ache to use, and the grills break CONSTANTLY.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
For anyone considering the Haygain Forager, in my opinion they aren’t worth the money. The concept is fantastic, but they’re an absolute ball ache to use, and the grills break CONSTANTLY.
Looking at the design, it should be easy to shape and weld a steel replacement grill or 'regulator' which could even be welded to the steel ring provided which will be the right size (of course).

lighter

pistolpete

Visit site
I saw the hay pillows and liked the look of it. That might work, as he's unshod. This thing: https://www.thehaypillow.com/ (okay, that one, like many horse things I want, might only be available in the US but I think I found a UK one somewhere).

I saw the Eazigrazer and the Hay Graze on my Googling search. I really loved the look of them, but winced at the price. Prefer them to the box made of pallets, though, as I could visualize a million ways that could go wrong and cost a lot more than £180 in vet bills.
Used my wooden boxes for two years. Never had a problem with them. Worst thing is they do eventually rot in the weather.

Starzaan

Visit site
Looking at the design, it should be easy to shape and weld a steel replacement grill or 'regulator' which could even be welded to the steel ring provided which will be the right size (of course).

lighter
The steel ring is A PAIN! If you have hay in your hands you can’t re fill. When I do kate checks this is a two person job so the poor OH has to come out with me specifically to faff with the bloody haygain ?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My dad made me a wooden version of the Stubbs feed station. At the moment I don’t need a slow feeder but it’s made so that I can put a haynet inside it then put the bucket on top so it would slow him down significantly but still allow to eat low ? it holds 12kgs of hay when stuffed full from bottom to top and squished down. The fuller it is the harder he finds getting hay from it to be fair.

might be an idea for you

C96F4EC1-33B2-4BAA-B9CD-04862BA1A146.jpeg4DF97286-668F-498B-A506-0847725CA16B.jpeg95FE85BF-4947-46C5-9D76-A4A61C5005E0.jpeg7486F4F3-CA58-4D84-8220-80DDD688DCCB.jpeg

planete

Visit site
I have a specially made hay box, solid planks screwed together with small feet to keep it off the ground, cost me £50 on eBay. I tie a small hole hay net down into the bottom with screw chain links so no chance of pinching a horse's lips. It is on its second winter and as good as new.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My dad made me a wooden version of the Stubbs feed station. At the moment I don’t need a slow feeder but it’s made so that I can put a haynet inside it then put the bucket on top so it would slow him down significantly but still allow to eat low ? it holds 12kgs of hay when stuffed full from bottom to top and squished down. The fuller it is the harder he finds getting hay from it to be fair.

might be an idea for you

View attachment 85411View attachment 85412View attachment 85413View attachment 85414

That’s lovely. Your dad might be a more talented joiner than me and OH though. He can build simple things competently. I struggle to not hammer nails through my hand.

Reacher

Visit site
Oh that's pricey. I got mine for $75 from the US awhile back. I know there are similar designs here in Germany (I have one that hangs outside) that aren't so expensive. Could be other knock offs out there, maybe.
There might be cheaper options, I didn’t look too far . Shame as it looks a good product

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Whatever you come up with, make sure it is completely emptied daily. I used a hay pillow for a short while until I discovered a rat in it!
Went back to double netting until the lad's teeth started to make it difficult. Not the ideal feeding from the ground experience, but at least it is vermin free and he can't pee on it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Look up Muzznet’s on Facebook.
Inside I use a mix of nibbleze nets and the floor. Outide I use a 160l shrub pot (it has holes drilled in the bottom) tied to corner straining posts-they are really useful and can either be used with or without nets (attached via the bottom). Easy to clean, pony sized and good for feeding soaked hay in as well. They’d work in a stable if you are allowed to put up tie rings to attach to.