modern pentathlon

harry

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else saw the sj phase of the women's modern pentathlon. Have just been watching it and in the end had to turn it over - 2 of the horses were lame, the riders were appalling and, apart from the 2 British women and 1 other, none of them had any idea. Poor bloody horses! Can't believe it is considered "sport"... Vent over!

jesterfaerie

Visit site
Yes I created a thread just a bit further down the page, we are all in there commenting on it
smile.gif

Why can't you believe it is considered as a sport? It is just a case of very inexperienced riders unfortunatluy nothing wrong with the sport itself imo.

devilinajar

Visit site
What is the deal with this modern pentathalon, can any of the men jump properly, just wached the high lights on bbci. I thought i was bad at jumping but im shore im not that bad!!!!!!

DottyConnection

Visit site
Just to let you all know, this is how the modern pentathletes are selected. My OH is an ex professional footballer, retrained as a PT. He does a bit of riding on the side. He was invited to Olympic trials called Pitch to Podium, where they were tested for fitness, stamina, strength etc (all looked like hard work to me!) Since this, he has had correspondance to say that they want him to train for modern pent for 2012. This mean that he has to learn to jump a 1.20 course on a random horse in 4 yrs?! What makes it worse is that other people selected have never sat on a horse!

Seems ridiculous to me. Surely take a rider and train them to do the other disciplines? Atleast they'd have the talent x

Beanyowner

Visit site

Yeh they may be able to ride ok but then they might be rubbish at Fencing, shooting, running or swimming!

There will always be one or even two weak disciplines for every athlete in Pentathlon...however, by slating the event on here you are also slating the GB althletes who trained extremely hard for their sport...including the riding. As I have said in previous posts...not everyone is born a rider, some will always struggle no matter how many lessons they have! The way pentathlon works is that even if you are not much good at riding, as long as the ability in the other 4 disciplines out weigh the penalties acrued in the riding they will be selected. Same as all the other multi discipline events.

I personally think the GB pentathletes done an excellent job and showed that the GB way of training is paying off as this is now the third Olympics where we have been on the podium (bearing in mind Penathlon has only been in the Olympics 3 times!!).

Oh and the 'rumour' that they were all ex race horses - true - all horses were ex racers retrained especially for the event by chinese riders. Now, no offence meant but you ever heard of the chinese producing world class horses?!?