Molassed sugar beet....

Spyda

Visit site
I've 2 bags of molassed SB pellets to use up, but horse is becoming rather larey on it.

So.... anyone know how much of the molasses comes out in the water during soaking? Rather than chucking the two bags away and just buying unmolassed, I'm quite happy to over-soak the molassed stuff I've got, strain it and rinse it clean (I've too much time on my hands obviously! :D), just to use the two bags up.

Will this get rid of the majority of sugar do you think?

easterntrainer

Visit site
My english is not pretty good :) if you ask this;
If a manufacturer boils 50kg sugarbeet, he could get 12kg molasses.I think an amateur shouldn't try this because he/she will use traditional methods(high temperature, open boiler) and come out hidroksimetilfurfurals.(a kind of carcinogen)
Generally sugarbeet molasse PH is under 5, and sourish. Mulberry molasse is the best. between 5,5-6,0

Last edited:

ThePony

Visit site
Def worth over soaking, but as well as pouring away the sugary water, I would rinse the soaked beet a couple of times too. A colander would make it loads easier! I'm unsure on amounts, but it def gets alot out (as can be seen with the dark waste water).

Spyda

Visit site
Think I'll just have to try soaking and rinsing it for a week or two, and see if I get an improvement. Maybe I could make holes in the bottom of an old bucket and use that instead of a small kitchen colander....

*Moseys off to look for a suitable bucket*

appylass

Visit site
I have a silly native :), well silly if he has molasses, I can get away with molassed sugar beet if, as ThePony says, I soak it in loads of water, drain and then rinse well. I think you'd probably be fine doing that.

Spyda

Visit site
I have a silly native :), well silly if he has molasses, I can get away with molassed sugar beet if, as ThePony says, I soak it in loads of water, drain and then rinse well. I think you'd probably be fine doing that.

Cool! Definitely worth a try then. Still trying to find a bucket to sacrifice!! :)

Spyda

Visit site
If the bags are unopened can you take them back to where you got them and swap them for unmollased? I work in a tack shop and we would swap unused bags of feed (not refund though)

Could be worth a try if the soaking and seiving doesn't work. I've got about 1/4 bag molassed shred in my bin. I'll experiment with those this week and see how it goes. If I'm passing the feed merchant's place I might drop the 2 unopened bags off and see what they say. The 2 bags are still in the back of the car waiting to be unloaded :rolleyes: