Money saving tip on broken handled water buckets!!!

fuzzle

Visit site
I have been buying large plastic water buckets, after a short time i have found the plastic handles break and have been chucking them away. This week a friend popped over to see me and he noticed the stack of broken water buckets side of the wheelie bin he took them in the shed and drilled holes where the handles were and put bailing string threw the holes and made handles for me, hey presto all the buckets are back in use, they are fab now and saved me a fortune replacing them!!!!!!!! give it a go if you have broken handles on water buckets!!!!!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I have been buying large plastic water buckets, after a short time i have found the plastic handles break and have been chucking them away. This week a friend popped over to see me and he noticed the stack of broken water buckets side of the wheelie bin he took them in the shed and drilled holes where the handles were and put bailing string threw the holes and made handles for me, hey presto all the buckets are back in use, they are fab now and saved me a fortune replacing them!!!!!!!! give it a go if you have broken handles on water buckets!!!!!
or buy good quality ones.

marmalade76

Visit site
If the handles come off my water buckets they get demoted to feed buckets (I don't like using feed buckets with handles on). If you are talking about those trug things with a handle on each side, I don't think they were designed for carrying water around in, so it's no surprise the handles break off.

Dry Rot

Visit site
The best things for carrying water are those 5 gallon plastic containers with screw tops. Just screw the top on and put them in a wheel barrow. I can sympathise with those who grumble about plastic buckets. I bought several £1 a piece as they seemed such a bargain and they all broke. The next lot were the yellow buckets from a builders merchant and so far so good, none broken.

But if you want cheap and strong, cut the top off a steel 5 gallon oil drum and jam a piece of wood across the inside at the top, then put a screw into your "handle" at each end from outside to secure it! Cost zero and it will last. But I prefer those plastic containers. I can sit a couple on the front rack of the quad and drive down the field without spills.

Nothing wrong with criticism, so long as it is polite and constructive. That way we all learn.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
After the recent cod snap, one of my large (new!) flexitubs split. Now I use it to take ice out of the main trough as the split lets the water out but the ice stays in the bucket. No cold fingers!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The best things for carrying water are those 5 gallon plastic containers with screw tops. Just screw the top on and put them in a wheel barrow. I can sympathise with those who grumble about plastic buckets. I bought several £1 a piece as they seemed such a bargain and they all broke. The next lot were the yellow buckets from a builders merchant and so far so good, none broken.

But if you want cheap and strong, cut the top off a steel 5 gallon oil drum and jam a piece of wood across the inside at the top, then put a screw into your "handle" at each end from outside to secure it! Cost zero and it will last. But I prefer those plastic containers. I can sit a couple on the front rack of the quad and drive down the field without spills.

Nothing wrong with criticism, so long as it is polite and constructive. That way we all learn.

Even better - use a hosepipe! Then no carrying/lifting is involved. We have a variety of hosepipes for different purposes/weather. The latest find is an 'Eezi-hose', which expands when full of water and empties itself, can be stored in a carrier bag in the house, so no freezing to deal with. We join hoses together to cover greater distances.
I would never use a bucket with a handle around horses, it's just not safe imo. The trugs are good but we have some older similar ones which came with their own rope handles and are stronger.Unfortunately I can't find them any more.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

We used to do this in the 80's works really well and sometimes we plait the string to reinforce the strength and less cutting on your fingers too

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My boss does the string handle thing too. It's brilliant for mixing supplements in as you can give it a really good shake up, better than with a metal handle :)
Yes I know a spoon will mix sups in just as well but when you have 20 feeds to mix up a good shake en route to the said horse saves a lot of time