Share vet visits etc,
Use rubber matting
Buy hay off the field when it has been cut and store it
Find a rich man
Beg, steal and borrow

Kelly1982

Visit site
Deep litter
only puts front shoes on in the winter (i dont do this though but my friend does)
Buy as much as you can on Ebay
Use hay instead of haylage

Cant think of anything else
confused.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
DD - haven't bought the thing yet so suppose I still have time to get out, nah, that would be the sane, boring thing to do
wink.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Don't buy gadgets when mundane, unfashionable items will do the same job just as well.

Share travelling expenses to shows.

Only buy a few rugs....your horse doesn't need every colour they make
tongue.gif

Ebay !

Tempi

Visit site
Ebay all the way!!! - my new horse (when i get one) is getting its whole wardrobe from ebay bridle included (i already have a saddle)

rubber matting - the way forwards!!!!! less expense on bedding and quicker to muck out

dont buy stuff you dont need (unfortunately im always buying stuff i dont need).....

dont get two.......MASSIVE expense there..........(i can see it on the horizon for me..........)

sally2008

Visit site
1. Go DIY
2. Don't scrimp on paying a bit more for an experienced farrier - it will only cost you more in the long run if you opt for a 10-minute-a-set-tyre-changer
3. Multi-purpose rugs - no need for seperate turnout and stable rugs
4. Avoid supplement adverts

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Go for basic DIY.

Share farrier visits, most farriers will aprreciate only having to come to the yard once and might give you a discount.

Buy secondhand items.

learn that you don't need everything going, the basics will do for starters.

Get a native!

Horseymum

Visit site
Agree with all the ones that say don't get one in the first place! Pay to ride someone else's it will be cheaper in the long run and you don't have to do all the grotty work in the freezing cold! Choose a different hobby, embroidery looks appealing!
grin.gif

kick_On

Visit site
Buy Brushes Buckets, wheelbarrow from DIY stores etc if you can share even better
Always ask if your horse really need equipment or r u just buying it to keep up with the 'jones'
Have a good set of tack and only use for comp/posh lessons (will last years if looked after properly)
and exercise set of tack for every day use - buy of Ebay where ever possible
If buying from tack shop - Always ask if they do discount!! and phone around for cheapest price
Buy hayledge/straw from farmer - much cheaper
BUT never 'do cheap' on farrier or vets cos that will cost you more in the end!!
All soap/oils for grooming buy in supermarket

Helga1980

Visit site
Maybe I should have put 'money stretching' as it seems like there isn't such a thing as saving money when it comes to horses!! Damn good thing they're worth it!

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming, it's 10 years since I last owned a horse and have to fund this one out of my own bank account rather than my parents!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
ha ha saving money and keeping up with the jones! Im just about to spend my birthday money on a pair of the ariat glacier long lace up riding boots, mind you my local saddlery give 10% discount to riding club members, they never ask for a membership card either!!

SO hey im saving money then.

Henmen

Visit site
Best so far ive found is to use the straw provided in my livery bill, i really want to use shavings, but itll be an extra £40 odd a month, so by spending an extra 20 mins mucking out, ill save £40 pound a month

Ginn

Visit site
Live with your parents!!!!

Im still broke but atleast I can afford my horse - if I moved out I'd have to get a full time job!
shocked.gif
(but I am a student and work 20 hours a week in a pub so Im not a completely lazy bum
blush.gif
)

the watcher

Visit site
ride and keep the smallest most native horse you can get away with for your chosen discipline
Share everything, vets visits, farrier, dentist
Make your own fly spray and use the pharmacist for cheap versions of many other products
Where possible wash, repair and reproof your rugs yourself.

Look after everything you have, repair damage straight away, keep things clean and be systematic about tidying up and checking stuff, that way it lasts longer, is less likely to 'walk'off a shared yard and will never let you down

TGM

Visit site
Buy a hardy native type that is a good doer (so cheap to feed), lives out (saves on bedding) and has tough feet so can go without shoes or just wear fronts!

Claireg9

Visit site
Ok i didnt have the break but when my little sweety died i decided i wanted another, mum said i have to pay for it!
One of the worst habbits ive got into is keeping her up a yard instead of at home, we have not got enough room at home a menage, the yard has so many more facilities but it costs £130 a month! And although only up the road there is petrol costs to add!
Depending on what you want to do if you can get away with just renting a small piece of land it'll enable you too put £100 a month away that you'd normally pay out on yard fees!
If not im afraid there is no cheapm way sorry x

horsegirl

Visit site
Surely that's not a tip, that's just common sense. Like saying don't pay to keep your horse on full livery and then pay someone else to muck him out too!