Monoflaps - should they take a bit of getting used to?

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I've recently got a new horse after losing my boy at the start of the year. Had saddler out for a jump saddle last week and have got a monoflap for him. I rode him in one when i viewed him and did like it but now i've got one i'm a bit unsure on it! Do they take a bit of getting used to? I have been riding in a dressage saddle for the past month (and also ride hubby's horse in a dressage saddle) so i know i've probably got too used to that. On my previous horse i had an Albion K2 jump which obviously is very blocky but was never quite right for me and used to give me back ache.
I'm not sure if i've made a bit of a mistake with this one! Not sure whether to persevere or look to get something else :(

Horsemad12

Visit site
I think it depends on the saddle. I tried a few monoflaps and hated them, I am now in a different one recommended by my instructor and I love it.

Perhaps it is not the right saddle for you, rather than being a monoflap issue?

LouisCat

Visit site
I have 2 horses who were both previously in saddles with 2 flaps. They have both now got mono flaps (just because that's what fitted) and I never had any problems getting used to it. That's only my experience though :)

marmalade88

Visit site
I went from a GP 2 flap to a jump mono flap and had no problems at all. I found the mono flap immediately comfortable, I think is said ' It feels like an armchair'. Which is always a good sign. :) I think any saddle you don't find immediately comfortable is never going to be really comfortable. but that's just my opinion, if I don't find it comfy for the 20 minute trial while the saddlers there then I won't hack for hours in it.

Fiona

Visit site
It took me a year to get used to my mare's flat seated jump saddle after riding in a GP.... It was v new and slippery though. I wonder if I had sprayed it with the sit tight spray at the v start would I have got used to it quicker??

Is your saddle new or second hand??

Fiona

nikkimariet

Visit site
Takes a little bit of getting used to :)

I had the same 'maybe this was a mistake' moment but then it all seamed to come together. I wouldn't go back to a dualflap now.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
Its secondhand but calfskin so not a bit slippy. I'm kind of thinking along the lines that some of you have said that if i have doubts then its not the one for me. I have spoken with saddler this morning who have said they will take back from me if i'm not happy with it and either refund me or see if they have another that might suit which is good of them. So at least do have that option, was worried i may have made a very costly mistake!