Monty Roberts dually headcollar

doodle

Visit site
Only used the real one. Worked wonders with my ex racer. Only had to clip it on to the special rings for him to stop rearing.

Araby

Visit site
Brought one years ago for a flighty, unmannerly Arab (still got him :) ), did it's job, however I did then turn to rope halters, cheaper and lighter, but not everyone likes these either, so personal choice, I now prefer the rope halters. However the Dually is great as can be used as a normal headcollar too and has breaking points (when not used on control feature), the rope headcollars don't.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Had mine for years, learnt to use it on a Monty Roberts course and it's been on several horses with great success.

To be honest though, for me personally these days it's more psychological. As in "right, horse is now wearing the MR headcollar, we are now going to walk up the track/long line/ lload..whatever the main aim is, without any problems at all'. Just having it on the horse inspires me to do everything in a calm, empathetic, purposeful and confident manner and I know this is picked up by the horse.

Ultimately if you buy a cheaper copy it would probably work but you do need to learn how to use it properly.

wish upon a star

Visit site
Only used the real deal but love it. Don't know if it's my mindset like the previous poster said but I don't care, it means we can load!
You do have to get the pressure and release right though for it to work.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Had a big 17hh mare who could break free on a halter. She was better in a bridle, but also OK in the Dually.

I think a "Be Nice" halter is stronger ;) a bit of a false representation as it seems not at all nice, but very effective :p

blitznbobs

Visit site
To be fair I think they are great... I have one on the yard and I’ve never had a horse it wasn’t effective on... it’s the one piece of kit I wish I’d bought years ago...

Teajack

Visit site
What are people’s experiences using one of these and is it worth buying a cheaper coUOTE]
A home-made version sorted my bargy mare in one trip to the field - we were dong join-up at the same time, so she was already familiar with how it worked.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I have one and if I was in the same position, I'd do the same again. The staff at the yard prefer using it.

After working with a trainer I realised it wasn't the headcoller but how I use it that is important. I can have the same control with a regular headcoller and I can put the regular headcoller on much easier.

It isn't a waste of money but it isn't a magic wand; you need to do the work.

VRIN

Visit site
I have one I have had for a long time. Don't use it day in day out but use it when I feel I need a bit of extra control. Its very effective.

whizzer

Visit site
I’ve had one for years,well worth the money. Bought it for my old TB who could be an arse to lead when he was excited,worked brilliantly for him,used it on a big,reactive mare I had who was jumpy but not dangerous & it gave me extra control with her. I hadn’t been using it on my new mare as she’s very quiet & mannerly by nature but she decided to push the boundaries recently with loading & I’ve started using it for that with good results. It’s a bit knackered looking now but it’s only cosmetic as it still works. The only one I had who didn’t like it was a young TB I had who flicked his head constantly as the ropey nosebit really annoyed him but he needed it when he was being walked out when he was injured & on box rest.