Monty Roberts - Join Up

Ginger Bear

Visit site
I tried join up with my TB in our indoor school a few weeks ago & he joined up first time (much to my amazement).. now when I free school him he follows me straight away until I tell him to go out to start his work..
I thought you had to 'join up' every time for them to follow you? Any ideas peeps??

proctor

Visit site
Once you have joined up with a horse, you have a bond and trust between you, so no need to do join up everytime you do any free schooling or things!!

babymare

Visit site
first time me and baby joined up was truelly amazing experience - given her background there were tears. When I lunge her she starts to join up - goes through licking chewing etc with me bless her and do you know I love it. some horses need regular join up - some its just there all time..Personally love the fact your horse wants to be with you - my lass will follow meeven though big lush grass to be eaten I LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV IT he he he he

Tinypony

Visit site
I thought that Monty teaches that horses shouldn't ever be "regulary" joined up with? I thought there was a guide of something like 3 times in their lifetime? I'm sure an IH RA told me that...

Ginger Bear

Visit site
Ahh thanks guys.. that's nice to hear..he actually wants to be with me..lol. It was totally strange to have a 16'1 following me round (i'm only 5'2) like a puppy.. He's had quite a rough start to life & I got him last October, it's got to the point now where I turn him out in the morning & he holds on to my hood as we walk to the field.. true love..ahhhh

Ginger Bear

Visit site
haha.. I'll get someone to take one & I'll post it on here.. Am yet to try join up with the mare that could be a totally different story..lol

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
I tried Join-up with my stallion, when he was 2?...

but it was impossible to to the 'sending away' as he just followed me anyway, I spoke to Kelly Marks, then I was at the Garden party, and she said there is the odd horse you cant do it with, and horses that are hand reared or had lots of foalie bonding can be the ones like that, and Harley had a few problems as a foal and was handled a lot, so he sees me as his leader, silly a*se still follows me round like a dog and hes 4 now... even came into the house the other week, straight through the back door..

but I do love join-up, found it great for my hard to catch pony, and my big stroppy mare..(Harleys mum)

And I used to repeat it if I ever had problems with them.. but only ever had to do it 3-4 times..

myasmummy

Visit site
http://www.whisperingback.co.uk/

Ive just finished reading a book about a couple from cirencester who worked with monty roberts and kelly marks and now have a succesful business helping problem horses, it's a true story, like an autobiography and such an inspiring read and would defenitly recommend to any horsey person and those of you interested in the whole joining up process. its called whispering back by adam goodfellow and nicole golding, can get it really cheap on amazon and ive put a link up the top which is their personal website.
in reply to your question you only have to do the join up once, once that horse has its trust in you through join up the trust will stay and you can work together and build up that trust with other methods.

Toffee44

Visit site
Toffee done a join up with me a couple of years ago and if I ever send her away in a round pen she come straight back in now. But me and her have a solid relationship. I still do trotting poles with her, I did once run round a set of three jumps with her. Was in tears after though :D If I fall off her, she literally stops and stands over me if im on the floor which is handy. I try not to do that regulary though.