Monty Roberts on saturday

PoppyPony

Visit site
Absolutely brilliant! This was the first time I've ever seen him and he was so good!
That's all
smile.gif

Accy

Visit site
I realy wanted to go and see him, but alas no time glad you had a good time maybe he will be back again sometime or somewhere nearish

joey1999

Visit site
We went to see him at Arena UK last Wednesday and it was fantastic! I am going to try the hairdryer thing with one of my youngsters who has never been clipped before! He was snorting at the weekend when I clipped two of my others who don't mind being clipped! He can do all the join up stuff and walk backwards, forwards and stop as soon as I do, so there is hope!!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I went! Thought it was great. How lovely was Blue, the 'wild' pone, I wanted her!
smile.gif

Got a bit bored with the ongoing commercials, but was impressed with his way with horses.

Twiglet

Visit site
The mare Blue belongs to a friend of a friend....I've always thought the demos had an air of dramatisation about them, so it's actually reassuring to hear that it's all genuine!

Clodagh

Visit site
Well, could you find out then how her tail had been trimmed, mane tidied and feet sorted before the demo. Also, how she got from the Welsh hills to Towerlands?? I agree she was pretty unhandled, and she may have been sedated for the prehandling and travelling, but I'm interested in just how wild she was?
tongue.gif

I did rate the demo, but being a cynic I'm trying to fill in the gaps!
crazy.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
Hi,

I took my clipperphobic horse to monty this time last year at merrist wood in surrey (anyone else go)? They tried the hairdryer thing with him too and it seemed to scare him more than the clippers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The horses are all picked and chosen for their 'show a good improvement' factor but all did seem to be genuine.

My horse wasnt chosen for the demo as he would not have shown 'significant improvement' within the time slot given for the evening demo. They did however do loads with him during the day and then used him in the evening for a demo on two line lunging.

Several other 'good problem' horses were not chosen for the same reason, so there is an element of showmanship about the demo, but then who would want to go and see monty and his team fail to improve any of the horses they worked with?.

There were ten horses taken on the day and only five were used in the demo, a couple of non loaders, a new backed a bucker and a bolter (not sure how it could bolt in the round pen though)!!!

All in all I would say its a genuine but carefully chosen group of horses, there were no cheats or tricks, and the horses were all treated well...

Burning question, has my horse been clipped since............................ nooooooooooooo but you never know for this year.

lisaward

Visit site
yes my friend had a horse that is hard to shoe and though he was picked i wasn't that impressed .
it was a basic common sense thing and the advertising of monty's products gets on my nerves.
i am also suspious(sp) of the dually halter ,as i feel the horses respect this far more than they "trust " monty my friends horse has improved and the front feet can now be shod but not without his dually halter and this week when my friend didn't pull on it the horse trampled over her.

so i am still open minded

PoppyPony

Visit site
i used to think this as well, but firstly I'd hardly call them 'poor horses' there have been studies to show adrenaline and stress levels in different training methods and MRs methods are shown to be low stress. He wasn't 'chasing' them - they came into him just when they were ready, so it is far less like chasing than lunging, when the horse can only stop when the person lets them. If you lunge horses you can hardly say [ QUOTE ]
and as for chasing some poor horse around a round pen - don't even get me started

[/ QUOTE ] . He didn't use a whip which people do when lunging and the horses were not scared of him.

Secondly I know quite a few people involved in horses and I wish to God they had some of that 'common sense'. I wish I had that common sense!

merlinsquest

Visit site
Hi again,

Sorry to disagree but my horse showed every sign of stress when i took him (see my earlier post). He evacuated forcefully (pre flight lightening of load)!! for want of a more polite description. He was sweating profusely and very scared.... especially when being chased.... sorry lunged in the round pen whilst being chased with a plastic bag on a stick!!!!

Sorry but when i lunge him he gets warm and puffed but at no time does he s**t himself with nerves or sweat up to the point of taking an hour to dry off, and he respects the lunge whip not fears it (obviously i have never laid into him with it but then neither did monty with a plastic bag... but he was still scared of that)

I am sure he does some wonderful work, but in the demos you can only do so much.

What intrigued me though, was they kept saying it was a non profit making enterprise, so when they would be paying a minimal cost to rent Merrist Wood and then charge £20 for a couple of thousand spectators then where does that fail to make a profit... not including all the dually headcollars at £40 a time and all the rest of the bits they sell????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I would so love not to be able to make a profit like that!!!!!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Sorry Poppypony, but a horse on the lunge is not being chased in anything like the same way as they are forcibly chased in a round pen - I have seen one too many horses wide eyed and terrified whilst being 'sent' round one of those instruments of torture, including by MR himself, no wonder the poor bl88dy thing wants to stop!