Monty Roberts type headcollar

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
So...new horse is a big chap and needs something more than just a plain headcollar on occasion. Don't really want to go down the route of a chiffney unless absolutely neccessary so a friend recommended a Monty Roberts type headcollar.

Where is the best place to get one online? I don't have time to go out trying to find somewhere selling them so would be brill if I could get one (not too expensive either!!) on line.

Thanks
smile.gif

checkmate1

Visit site
Hiya, If you get the dually you get a DVD which explains how to use it which is extremly informative. Its costs around £40, but well worth it!!! Try ebay otherwise?

bungalowpickle

Visit site
i've got nothing but good things to say about the dually. we used to have a horse at the yard i worked at and whenever he'd not been out for a couple of days for whatever reason they used to dope him and use a chiffney and he was still mental. i said i would be willing to try him without either just a dually they all said i was mad but i did and he still threw a wobbly but the headcollar did its job, it only lasted a second, unlike his normal tantrums, and then he walked as good as gold and after that so long as you used the dually to lead he was as quiet as a lamb.
also much less severe than a chiffney i hate them!

Jazzelle29

www.claireadamson.com
The knotted halters are Parelli style ones from www.parelli.com or Ebay. They last for ever, are easy to fit and very effective when used correctly by an informed handler who understands pressure-release principles.

They are thinner than a normal flat nylon headcollar,and the horse learns that if he leans into it, it becomes uncomfortable. When it yields to the pressure it finds comfort, and thus reward for doing the right thing.

It goes without saying that horses should never be left unattended in these halters as they will not break, and care should be taken to tie the halter knot correctly so it doesn't overtighten and become difficult to undo.

Enfys

Visit site
Jazzelle,out of curiosity, is there a difference in Parelli rope halters to other rope halters?

I can't see one, other than the inflated price. I have a dozen rope halters that look identical to his (apart from a little label that is) and they cost me far less than $29 each.