Moody Mare-what do you give yours?

oscarexpress

New User
Visit site
My mare is so moody. She is grumpy all the time. She wont stand still to e brushed or tacked up, I have to keep badgering her all the time. She is 20 years old and even if you got to see her in the field to give her a cuddle and check she's ok she will just walk away and she constantly has her ears back. She bullies all the other horses including my 16.2 TB gelding and she's only 14.2. She gets alot of attention from us and I have three others she is sound but she just seems to be grumpy all the time and nothing seems to improve her moods. What shall I try?

dilbert

Visit site
Agnus castus is the main ingredient in moody mare type supplements. You can but it from natural horse supplies and other places.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
we've just started my friends mare on stroppy mare as she has started trying to kick people, she's been on it a week now, so just waiting to see whether it will make any difference!

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
I have just come to the end of a months supply of stroppy mare and was about to give up on it but....
She isn't the worst mare by far just has grumpy times, never bites or kicks but the ears go back, faces get pulled and she can have the odd little strop. Probably most of it is due to being in the first stable down the line, always people passing but some of it is just being a mare.

I have been giving her stroppy mare for a month and can't say i saw much change but literally 2 days ago she seemed to be a little more affectionate, unless i'm just imagining it or she wants more 'sweeties'. I don't know if i will try it any longer, maybe 1 more month and see and i'm not totally convinced by herbal supplememts but any other opinions would be great to hear too.

Ali27

Visit site
Just check that you mare isn't in pain. Mine was behaving like this and kicked my daughter's pony several times even though they have led and been tied up together for last 2 years. I had her checked my chiropractor and her pelvis was out. Her behaviour dramatically improved after that!

J & M

New User
Visit site
I too have a "mardy moo" of a mare and so far have just been dodging the teeth and feet ... she not got me yet LOL
I am a bit concerned as my mare won't have any other horse in "her space" without squeeling and lifting the back end :( She isn't too nasty about it as when other horses face up to her she side steps and runs away, also has NOT made contact yet. They all seem to know to keep out of her way when she is "in one" LOL
Thanks for posting this ... think I will give the "Stroppy Mare" stuff a go, see if we get any positive results. :D

Hollywood

Visit site
When my 3 1/2 year old mare has her stroppy moments (which are few and far between now) eg. lifts a leg, she gets a whack - I won't tolerate bad behavior - I hasten to add that she gets lots of praise when she's a good girl which is now most of the time. I give her brewers yeast and mag ox in her feed each day, not sure whether it has any impact on her behaviour.