Morbid Q - What do you do with The Body?

mandwhy

Visit site
Dusty85 - that sounds awful :-(

I quite like the zoo idea actually. I study zoology so have spent a bit of time at our local wildlife park that has a couple of tigers and a mountain lion. Somehow seems better than the hunt but then I have never been hunting!

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I opted for individual cremation as this is what i wanted wasn't in a place to scatter ashes n didn't want to let him just go either he was a total mummy's boy so he's currently in my lounge

magichorse

Visit site
I had my old girl pts after she broke her leg in the field. I had her cremated individually and got her ashes back in a lovely box which is now on the shelf in the living room! It cost about £350 I think but I'm stupidly sentimental and the 'service' provided was excellent. They collected the body early in the morning after she was pts and were lovely people. I collected her ashes a few days later from the Chapel of Rest at the place where she was cremated. Staff there were brilliant too. Yes, it may seem like a waste of money to some, but to me it was the right thing to do when I had to say goodbye to my best friend, and seemed like a 'fitting' end for her.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Always bury at home. I have a friendly man with a digger who managed to dig a hole big enough for my 600 kg friesian last year and transport her across the field to her grave. Only problem is that after a few weeks the body decomposes and the top sinks so quite a bit of topsoil is required to level off the grave when it's a big horse.

I like keeping their memories close and am lucky enough to have the land to do this.

^^^This exactly. Only my horses are Shires and the holes are massive. My last burial was for my 1 tonne Clydesdale. My digger driver always leaves the soil quite high over the grave, like a mound, to accommodate the sinking of the soil later on.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Hunt for me with this one, if I can.

I had no choice when my horse was PTS at the RVC, they cremate, nothing else. I kept his bit and a shoe. I didn't see the point in keeping anything else.

Oberon

Visit site
I work in the NHS- and its the same with people- once they die there is something that changes and they are not your family/friend/loved one anymore.

I agree. I have been with many people at the end and taken care of them afterwards.

But I have to say it's still different when it's someone you love.

I always believed I would stay with Obi at the end.

But after having my elderly dog PTS in August and watching my Mum die last month - I keep seeing them dying in my mind and it messes with me.

I am now thinking I should stay for his sedation and then walk away before he gets the injection. I don't think I could bear watching him drop and then dead. I don't think I can cope with more memories like that.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The body is the old clothes they no longer need. Unless you have pots of money I would have the knacker collect. Use the money saved instead on a really nice keep sake to remember him by.

I have decided I cannot justify any more individual dog cremations after the last one was hideously expensive. I will either bury or just not get ashes back from now on. It is easy to say now obviously, but it is the most sensible thing I think, it's so expensive.

Oberon

Visit site
I still like the idea of cremation. But I don't think my idea of it is the same as the reality.

My Mum was cremated (the cost of which is cheaper than a horse cremation ;)). I was confident her body was handled gently and treated with reverence. And that is what was so very important to me.

BUT it is simply impossible to treat a horse's body with that same respect. They are just too big.

Even if I pay top dollar for individual cremation for him, his body would still be hauled about by ropes and machinery - there is no avoiding it.

So what would be the point?

(I am working through all this in my head - and trying to convince myself it is OK to look at alternatives).

Oberon

Visit site
Burial is out - I don't have my own land and I wouldn't want to bury him on a livery yard.

Is there any restrictions on horses who have Prascend and Danilon?

Queenbee

Visit site
I always maintained that I would have Obi individually cremated when his time came - but now I'm not so sure.

Can I justify this high cost when he is already gone?

I still want his method of PTS to be injection by our vet - that is my choice.

But what other options are there for a body after this?

I went for injection (so pleased I did) and my ex (then partner) came and got ebs, and burried her on his land with his dads jcb, we aren't together now but I can go and see her whenever I want to, this is invaluable to me x

PandorasJar

Visit site
So what would be the point?

What would you do with the ashes?

If you could scatter them somewhere that you both loved, or keep them... would you want to. Or would the memories be enough?

For me the memories are enough and the body is simply a shell the moment the eyes fade, I'd hate to keep ashes and scattering only makes me feel guilty for not visiting, when really all I want to do is talk to them when I fancy in the middle of somewhere random, because they aren't where the ashes are... but for others it's completely different.

Catcus

Visit site
I keep deliberating back and forth on this, my oldie probably won't make it through next winter. I've always buried my small pets, but as I don't have my own land I'd have to ask the farmer/YO (which I can understand they might say no). I can't bear the thought of him getting winched into a lorry and then probably chopped up, but then decomposing is pretty horrendous too :(. I wouldn't want the ashes back anyway. I know once they're gone, they're gone but it just doesn't feel like that when you see the body.

Oberon

Visit site
What would you do with the ashes?

I'd always planned to have some of the ashes made into a piece of jewellery.

I had my old dog cremated and I have her ashes here, ready for when I can afford £400 :eek:.

I planned to send the tablespoon of ash away to the company and the rest scattered on the beach so she's always with us when we walk.

But really - it won't bring her back and I'm questioning the whole idea of paying for a piece of tat jewellery now :confused:.

Zebedee

Visit site
It's not exactly ashes though - the body is incinerated, and the bits that haven't burnt away ( large bones basically) then go into a cremator. That's a rotaing drum with large rocks in it that beat the bones to dust. It's not ashes like burnt remains of a fire.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I work in the NHS- and its the same with people- once they die there is something that changes and they are not your family/friend/loved one anymore.

Yes, and it's hard to explain, but they just aren't there any more.

This was brought home to me when I had an elderly labrador pts at home, with her companions around her. They wer always very respectful of her and careful not to bump her old bones (she could be a bit cantankerous). As soon as the vet stood up, after saying the hert hd stopped, the Rottie, who was thrilled to see the vet, trampled all over the now dead lab, just as if she was a hearth-rug. It was perfectly obvious that Rottie knew there was no dog left in the shell.

Natch

Visit site
You can get nice necklaces which act as containers too and would do the job of a nice piece of jewellery to remember Xsara by, if they are your style of thing? I wonder if I can find the two wooden carved pendants I bought last year, and take a pic... not seen them since I moved house! :eek: Will have a look tomorrow.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Some lovely jewellery, lots of different styles out there using tail/mane. Would it be possible to make something from a bit, or using some thread from their headcollar or similar? Lots of options if you didn't go cremation... But

No it won't bring her back... But you only live once and why not spend a bit more on a horse who is part of that life if thats what you want to do.

If you don't do it will you wish you had?It's better to look back at the tat jewellery knowing you wanted to do it... Than to not do it and wish you had. So only write it off if you really feel that way

Littlelegs

Visit site
Mine will be buried on the farm. It's not my land, its diy livery, but she loves it there, & farmer is happy enough to bury them.
I imagine it would be expensive, but I'm sure there are pet crem places that also offer burial for horses, so there's a grave to visit like a persons.

PandorasJar

Visit site
^ sorry meant dog in the middle section. But would apply to future too. Personally it's not my thing... But if it was I'd probably dive in, possibly wish I'd spent the money elsewhere... But be happy enough that I needed to do it at the time and all ive lost is some money which would have undoubtably gone on something trivial otherwise and I can always save up again for the next thing I decide I need.

But do what your gut/heart says... Better than your head in this kind of situation imo.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I'm another who does not feel that what happens after death is important. I wouldn't bury an old suit of clothes and that is what the body is to me. I have photographs and memories of our animals. We have an old black and white pic of the dog my dad bought as a wedding present for my mum, I can remember what he looked like, what he felt like and my parents had their Golden Wedding, before my mum died. I have all sorts of memories of all our animals, most of which leave me with a smile. It doesn't matter where their remains are, they stay in my mind.

Jnhuk

Visit site
My previous old lad when it was time, was shot by the vet then picked up for cremation (not individual or ashes back). I was on a livery yard at that time and think the whole thing came to £300-£350.

I always thought that I would do the same for the others until a few years ago when my neighbour's horse was found dead in the field. The mare was buried (after a vet had examined her) the following day in her field after being dragged by jcb to the appropriate site. I was surprised at how dignified and gently the farmer carried out this last act for the mare. I was warned the transport bit would be more distressing but he handled it with such care that it made me consider this option for my others now that I have my own land and nowhere near any water. The bit where she is buried is still slightly raised as the farmer was careful to put more top soil over to compensate for the drop once the body had decomposed. Is it sad that I still say hello to her when I pass that spot?

The main thing to me is that the end is handled quickly and quietly without too emotion to upset them which is why I could never be present or hold them.

heebiejeebies

Visit site
I'm completely devastated about people sending their horses' bodies to the zoo for consumption! :eek:

And wish I hadn't read the comment about how cremation works, I had a nice, kind, sheltered little image in my girly mind that I wanted to cling on to :(

I've no idea what I'd do, I currently have two boxes of ashes on my mantlepiece (both rabbits... I'm very sentimental, and was overly pregnant and hormonal when one died haha!) but now with all this talk of the body just being the shell of the pet I totally get that. Now wondering whether the ashes would be better scattered?!

Burial isn't an option, I hate the thought of them decomposing. Think that's why I got the rabbits cremated and will most likely cremate my other pets?

I've no idea!! It's too late at night to make my brain work, I'm going to be up all night fretting about what to do when the time comes!!

heebiejeebies

Visit site
What about burying the ashes in a box? That's how my mum has been buried, though I remember standing at the burial thinking it was a really weird way of doing it!

Could bury the ashes in a box and plant a tree there?

See? I'm fretting!!

Cahill

Visit site
my friend had her 14`2 individually cremated,she has a wicker basket with the ashes,they weigh 3 stone!

i agree with other posters about once they are gone it is just a shell and for that reason i want mine buried.
earth to earth.

why do some of you not like the idea of burial/decomposing? surely that is the natural way of things?

Last edited:

indie999

Visit site
If I had a huge field not near water course I would have got a massive hole dug by a digger. However I had him taken off for cremation and really could not justify having a huge box of ashes back to get rid of no doubt on a windy day. In the ideal world I would have then planted a nice Oak tree where X marks the spot. But mine went off to the crematorium and they guy was lovely. I too would have been happy for the hounds to have eaten him up as the carcuss would not not be wasted either but I used injection method so that was out the question,plus buted. But its whatever you feel comfortable with. In reality I do wish I had him back but I have to tell myself to be practical and realistic. I hope you make your decision as it is a hard time but worth enquiring about as to what others do!

Beausmate

Visit site
Not sure what I'd do, cost would certainly be a factor. Quite like the zoo idea actually. What I don't want is to think of them being wasted, if they go with a fallen stock collector and get rendered into bio fuel, or cremated and made into fertiliser or something that's fine by me. Even glue I suppose. I hate the thought of them being thrown out, like some old rubbish and I've often wondered if places send ashes to landfill? I'd feel a bit odd just ringing Cremtor or somewhere and asking though! :eek:

Billabongchick

Visit site
I had my first mare cremated at Bristol vets when we lost her to colic during the op over 15 years ago when i was 14. I have her shoes and I still have some of her ashes as scattered some in her field but wanted to keep some to be made into a stone which at the time cost thousands as was new technology so to speak. Someone posted above that they only need about a table spoonful of ashes and around £400. Is this correct and has anyone done it as would love to at some point as a lasting memory of her?

cambrica

Visit site
I completely agree with PandorasJar. Once their eyes glaze over and dim you know that they are not there anymore, the horse you have known and loved has gone and that the body is just a body. What happens next is really only for the owners benefit on how to come to terms with such a loss and that is not always easy.
Over many years I have had three buried and two cremated (not individual cremations). The burials were because the ground was perfect and it was a cheaper option plus it is nice to be able to stand there sometimes and remember. The two cremations were in the winter when the ground was water logged and I did feel I owed them a dignified end.
I kept a piece of my childhood ponies mane and still have it in a jewellery purse and the others I have kept their headcollars. To me thats enough. I have some of my Dad's ashes in the house, the rest were scattered so I really wouldn't want any of my horses ashes too. Its bad enough deciding what to do with my Dad :)

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
I had my boy cremated, it seemed the best thing at the time, I still have his ashes at home, one day I will scatter them somewhere special, but not ready to do that yet, it is expensive, but I personally feel I owe my animals the best end available at the time, it is a personal choice x