More feeding advice required please

JACQSZOO

Visit site
Georige will be coming in soon and as the grass has now almost gone I will be looking to feed him some hard feed. The last two years he has been on adli haylage, alfa a and a general supplement, he was'nt getting any hard feed as he was'nt doing enough work to warrant it. Towards the end of last winter his workload did increase and he did start to drop weight but the grass was coming through and he was soon back to his podgy self.
G is a 7 yr old 16.3hh IDxTB and is a very laid back chap. Prone to being a bit overweight and is quiet a lazy chap.
I'd like something to give him a bit of sparkle but nothing thats going to send him into orbit. He is worked 5/6 times a week, a combination of schooling, jumping and hacking. Currently he is out 24/7 on happy hoof, a general vit & min supplement and nafs blood liquid. He will be coming in at nights shortly and will be on ad lib haylage.
Thank you

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
How about unmollased sugar beet, unmollassed chaff and some alfafa. I use simple systems and realy rate it, plenty of fibre and no fizz. I know a lot of people on here use Alfa beet - a blend of sugar beet and alfafa.

spaniel

Visit site
Keep it simple, fibre first and foremost and then perhaps a good quality All Rounder type mix or cubes or, if you have access, Simple Systems.

There are folks on here who event off grass and pony nuts so dont get too bogged down in complicated regimes or fancy advertising. If your horse is by nature laid back then thats what you have, a laid back horse. If he is running out of steam halfway through a competition then yes give him more fuel, start with the easy stuff first though.

cameronD26

Visit site
I'd call Elizabeth at Baileys as she's brilliant and it's only a phone call and she will tell you exactly what you will need to feed in the correct quantities which is so so important. If she says 2kg of mix a day for instance you wouldn't have to choose Baileys but you would know the right amounts.

I went to a lecture on equine nutrition on Monday and they said that the forage was the most vital part and it should be ad lib. They said if you give your horse hay at night there should always be some left in the morning if not you aren't giving them enough.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I like Bailey's meadow sweet. My 7 yr old mare is good at keeping condition but once she drops it it's really hard to get back on. She can also be very temperamental and I've found this is one of the few feeds she can have without being sky high! The woman I hack out with keeps her IDx going on Bailey's economy nuts and he always looks great - he's in light to medium work and gets 1 1/2 stubbs scoop nuts and 2 stubbs scoops dengie hifi spread out over the day plus laylage.