More fizz without the pop

sherry90

Visit site
Potentially looking for something that doesn’t exist but - feed for a good doer (poss previous low grade lami) that will give a bit of spark without added weight/stupidness.

Generally laid back horse anyway so unlikely to hot up too much but does live off fresh air so needs to be low calories. He is turned out overnight at the moment and that might be the contributing factor to his even more laid back style, he will go but is just is lacking a bit of oomph.

Any helpful suggestions?

sherry90

Visit site
Thank you - he’s worked x5 days a week but maybe need to up the intensity. He’s doing enough in his schooling but might need to venture further on hacks and incorporate some poles/jumping back in. Been so difficult to do much faster work out of the school with the ground being hard.

B22

Visit site
Try the equilab app. It gives you an idea of how much faster work you are doing whether hacking or schooling. I was surprised at how little trot / canter I was actually doing.

sherry90

Visit site
Try the equilab app. It gives you an idea of how much faster work you are doing whether hacking or schooling. I was surprised at how little trot / canter I was actually doing.

I used to use this for hacking but keep forgetting. Definitely don’t do much fast work hacking as we don’t have many places for that but schooling we do I’m sure because the main ‘homework’ is trot/canter focussed. I think I’ll up the miles hacking, we do have lots of hills which helps build fitness too.

Winters100

Visit site
My good doer was a bit lacking in spark when he came to me. He was not obese, but was described by others as on the top end of OK, and was to me appeared quite overweight.

Since getting his weight down and getting him fit he is great. Still sensible, but has plenty of go in him.

I did not change much regarding feed other than hay available all the time but soaked and given in small holed haynets, 2 meals a day and a token handful lunch when I am feeding the others, work 2 times a day 10 days on / 1 day off. Morning is 'proper' work, afternoon varies between lunging, hacking or being led off another horse. If I see him gaining a little he will sometimes come out a third time if I am hacking on my old schoolmisterss - just led alongside her, but at least he is moving a little and not eating!

Could this be the problem that he is not fit enough and/or carrying a bit too much weight?

sherry90

Visit site
My good doer was a bit lacking in spark when he came to me. He was not obese, but was described by others as on the top end of OK, and was to me appeared quite overweight.

Since getting his weight down and getting him fit he is great. Still sensible, but has plenty of go in him.

I did not change much regarding feed other than hay available all the time but soaked and given in small holed haynets, 2 meals a day and a token handful lunch when I am feeding the others, work 2 times a day 10 days on / 1 day off. Morning is 'proper' work, afternoon varies between lunging, hacking or being led off another horse. If I see him gaining a little he will sometimes come out a third time if I am hacking on my old schoolmisterss - just led alongside her, but at least he is moving a little and not eating!

Could this be the problem that he is not fit enough and/or carrying a bit too much weight?

I don’t think so really - he’s a good weight in my opinion, no fat pads, can feel but not see ribs. He’s looking the same to me as last summer when he was on the weigh bridge as spot on weight wise. Good top line and well muscled. He’s possibly a little bit unfit ie. if I was eventing he’d need to build up cardio wise for XC. He will stay in the pace you ask him to, would canter all day when he’s in it. Hacking wise he can go without breaking a sweat where other horses are dripping. Schooling you’d need to do a good 30-40mins to tire him/get his heart rate up.
It’s more getting into each pace - so transitions - which upon typing this is maybe just a schooling issue ??‍♀️ and I’ve also just checked my diary and he hasn’t had a day off since last Monday - bad planning on my part (he hasn’t just schooled though) so day off today and will see how he is tomorrow.

I am also going to readjust the plan a little and pop some more longer/faster hacks in, where I can, and see if that helps.

If all else fails a trip to Somerford farm ride usually resets him (and then I have no brakes ?)

Winters100

Visit site
I don’t think so really - he’s a good weight in my opinion, no fat pads, can feel but not see ribs. He’s looking the same to me as last summer when he was on the weigh bridge as spot on weight wise. Good top line and well muscled. He’s possibly a little bit unfit ie. if I was eventing he’d need to build up cardio wise for XC. He will stay in the pace you ask him to, would canter all day when he’s in it. Hacking wise he can go without breaking a sweat where other horses are dripping. Schooling you’d need to do a good 30-40mins to tire him/get his heart rate up.
It’s more getting into each pace - so transitions - which upon typing this is maybe just a schooling issue ??‍♀️ and I’ve also just checked my diary and he hasn’t had a day off since last Monday - bad planning on my part (he hasn’t just schooled though) so day off today and will see how he is tomorrow.

I am also going to readjust the plan a little and pop some more longer/faster hacks in, where I can, and see if that helps.

If all else fails a trip to Somerford farm ride usually resets him (and then I have no brakes ?)

Sounds like he is in great shape - well done you. Takes a lot of work to have them fit:)

j1ffy

Visit site
It sounds like some discipline when schooling to get him in front of the leg would help! Having said that, my good doer (also barefoot, former navicular rehab) is a lazy so-and-so if he doesn't have a few rolled oats.

alishaarrr

Visit site
I'd see if this is a schooling issue before changing feed. Also wondering if he might be bored if you're not doing much jumping, polework, or hacking ... if just flat schooling in an arena, he may be getting stuffy because it's not very interesting, challenging or fun for him.

My last one was a bit like this, and more than training him it took retraining myself not to nag with my leg and to be effective with my aids, and to make him be accountable for achieving and then maintaining the pace I asked for. Having my instructor sharpen him up with a few ridden sessions helped a lot, too.

sherry90

Visit site
I'd see if this is a schooling issue before changing feed. Also wondering if he might be bored if you're not doing much jumping, polework, or hacking ... if just flat schooling in an arena, he may be getting stuffy because it's not very interesting, challenging or fun for him.

My last one was a bit like this, and more than training him it took retraining myself not to nag with my leg and to be effective with my aids, and to make him be accountable for achieving and then maintaining the pace I asked for. Having my instructor sharpen him up with a few ridden sessions helped a lot, too.

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head. We’ve not been solely schooling per se but definitely higher ratio than the fun stuff so will flip that on its head.

I am also a bit of a gripper with my knee which I’m trying to undo so that won’t help his forward ness I’m sure.

pansymouse

Visit site
He could well be bored with school; is he any more sparky after a hack with a good leg stretch canter? My horse get very shut down and bored if she doesn't have a good long run at last once a week.