More horse neglect/welfare issues

DD

Visit site
several arabians PTS by RSPCA at a large stud I've heard rumours about the conditions of this place for years. Apparently around 40 horses and 2acres of turnout if postings are to be believed.

JoannaC

Visit site
The breeder who is clearly very much to blame for hoarding in the first place apparently asked the RSPCA for help. According to a thread on FB they turned up shot some horses and then ran over and killed one of her cats whilst leaving with the others to an unknown destination. Certainly sound like another Peel case :-(

JoannaC

Visit site
This is the post going round on FB

£1000 cash reward for location of Arabians!!
So I find out that the RSPCA has killed 8 precious Arabians in good health needing minimal vet work, some of them I knew and had lived here for a time a few years ago!
18 mares were roughly loaded like cattle into unsuitable transport getting injured and terrorised by ignorant people incurring multiple injuries and terrified! 5 stallions taken, again, I knew some of them! More may have been killed since!
Miss Howarth had asked for help, not murder!
Arabians need Arabian people to care for and understand them, not frankly obnoxious bastards which, from the RSPCA inspectors I attempted to speak with yesterday, is all they are these days!
I am sick to death of the whole ‘animal charity behaviour bullshit in this country!
I want to know which livery stables has these horses and I want to send in an independent vet, photographer and have autopsies done on the mares and stallion they have killed!!
I am offering £1000 cash, no questions asked for the address of the 18 mares and 5 stallions!
They even ran over and killed one of the lady’s cats in their rush to leave!
I am beyond sad and beyond angry right now and haven’t slept all night!
The farrier up there Ben Gardner and the RSPCA have blood on their filthy hands and I will see justice done for those beautiful horses!!
Please share this post far and wide to find them, because several more will probably have been killed by now , as the RSPCA kills for convenience these days! I am appointing a solicitor and barrister today to get this investigated!
Some of the dead horses are the end of their bloodlines
1f625.png
😥

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My heart bleeds for these poor horses and the poor cat. I can only hope that the remaining horses have come off the wagon uninjured and are rehomed to appropriate people.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
wow, how was the farrier involved?

That sounds like she asked for help but if an arab person given the Peel case the RSPCA would be the last people I would be asking. (Or was it more that she was reported and agreed to receive help as well aware how the RSPCA can twist things to suit them.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
This is the post going round on FB

£1000 cash reward for location of Arabians!!
So I find out that the RSPCA has killed 8 precious Arabians in good health needing minimal vet work, some of them I knew and had lived here for a time a few years ago!
18 mares were roughly loaded like cattle into unsuitable transport getting injured and terrorised by ignorant people incurring multiple injuries and terrified! 5 stallions taken, again, I knew some of them! More may have been killed since!
Miss Howarth had asked for help, not murder!
Arabians need Arabian people to care for and understand them, not frankly obnoxious bastards which, from the RSPCA inspectors I attempted to speak with yesterday, is all they are these days!
I am sick to death of the whole ‘animal charity behaviour bullshit in this country!
I want to know which livery stables has these horses and I want to send in an independent vet, photographer and have autopsies done on the mares and stallion they have killed!!
I am offering £1000 cash, no questions asked for the address of the 18 mares and 5 stallions!
They even ran over and killed one of the lady’s cats in their rush to leave!
I am beyond sad and beyond angry right now and haven’t slept all night!
The farrier up there Ben Gardner and the RSPCA have blood on their filthy hands and I will see justice done for those beautiful horses!!
Please share this post far and wide to find them, because several more will probably have been killed by now , as the RSPCA kills for convenience these days! I am appointing a solicitor and barrister today to get this investigated!
Some of the dead horses are the end of their bloodlines
1f625.png
😥

I despair if this is true. I was shocked that more was not investigated with the Peel horses where the RSPCA would not give details where horses were kept, charged "livery" for them then, when pressed in court, admitted that they had been PTS early on, despite the vet report saying they were not seriously ill.

It seems that the RSPCA are only equipped to manage gypsy cobs and were not being open and honest with their dealings. I can see why locations of horses are not given when prosecutions are pending, but to shoot these horses when not ill but save severely ill cobs is not equitable.

DD

Visit site
someone on FB stated that the reason for PTS was laminitis unlikely to respond to treatment and PTS to end suffering. I expect this is why the farrier was involved.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Severe laminitis, yes PTS would certainly be the best thing to do in that situation.

Emotions run high in cases like this and it's definitely in part due to the Peel case. I think we all now automatically worry that the rescued horses (especially any non cobby ones) are actually just moving from the frying pan, into the fire.

someone on FB stated that the reason for PTS was laminitis unlikely to respond to treatment and PTS to end suffering. I expect this is why the farrier was involved.

Red-1

Visit site
Severe laminitis, yes PTS would certainly be the best thing to do in that situation.

Emotions run high in cases like this and it's definitely in part due to the Peel case. I think we all now automatically worry that the rescued horses (especially any non cobby ones) are actually just moving from the frying pan, into the fire.

I think you are right, but perhaps that is not helped by the RSPCA changing their story, blaming administrate errors, in short doing anything other than accept that they got it wrong. If they were open and honest about their failings then that would go some way to build trust back.

I would agree, severe lami = PTS for rescue horses. But then, I would perhaps PTS a lot more severely emaciated cob types too, as they have so many that are for companion only status, that have no real demand. I would prefer greater efforts for fewer horses, who could be rehabbed. More PTS for the ones with deformed feet, colic from worm burdens etc. There are so many neglected horses, who could be rehabilitated, but have nowhere to go because the system is full of horses with no future. For example, a load from round here were rounded up by the council and PTS as they had been constantly loose on the roads. As they were not emaciated no charity would have them but as they were causing accidents the council had to take them. There were a couple of foals, no health issues as far as I could tell, all PTS.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
R-1, yes I also don't understand the PTS policy that seems so ill thought out. People were clamouring to rehome the Peel horses, yet they put desirable, healthy horses down. Cobs that have big, long term health issues and are undesirable and unridable... yep we'll keep those.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I think you are right, but perhaps that is not helped by the RSPCA changing their story, blaming administrate errors, in short doing anything other than accept that they got it wrong. If they were open and honest about their failings then that would go some way to build trust back.

I would agree, severe lami = PTS for rescue horses. But then, I would perhaps PTS a lot more severely emaciated cob types too, as they have so many that are for companion only status, that have no real demand. I would prefer greater efforts for fewer horses, who could be rehabbed. More PTS for the ones with deformed feet, colic from worm burdens etc. There are so many neglected horses, who could be rehabilitated, but have nowhere to go because the system is full of horses with no future. For example, a load from round here were rounded up by the council and PTS as they had been constantly loose on the roads. As they were not emaciated no charity would have them but as they were causing accidents the council had to take them. There were a couple of foals, no health issues as far as I could tell, all PTS.

We don't have the RSPCA here (thankfully, by the sound of it), but the new-ish animal welfare laws we have in Ireland are actually much more likely to result in euthanasia for neglected, unwanted animals - something I am broadly in support of. If there is no one to care for an animal it is better off being PTS than being neglected.

Red-1

Visit site
We don't have the RSPCA here (thankfully, by the sound of it), but the new-ish animal welfare laws we have in Ireland are actually much more likely to result in euthanasia for neglected, unwanted animals - something I am broadly in support of. If there is no one to care for an animal it is better off being PTS than being neglected.

I agree better PTS than neglected, but if there are some spaces within the charity for taking in and rehab, then surely it would be better to take in ones that are fit to rehab and find homes for than ones that have no chance of becoming anything but a companion. As it is, the charities are full of the lame and traumatised that will never recover, whilst neglected but only superficially damaged ones, that could become healthy and happy animals, are PTS.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I agree better PTS than neglected, but if there are some spaces within the charity for taking in and rehab, then surely it would be better to take in ones that are fit to rehab and find homes for than ones that have no chance of becoming anything but a companion. As it is, the charities are full of the lame and traumatised that will never recover, whilst neglected but only superficially damaged ones, that could become healthy and happy animals, are PTS.

Yes, completely agree with that. Having visited a UK horse charity, I couldn't believe the number of completely - forgive the language - useless horses in the place; everything seemed to be a non-ridden/companion-only type which quite frankly were blocking spaces for useable horses. I did start to have a conversation with the lady in charge about it, but she seemed to think I was evil just for thinking this o_O Of course, that is why they were abandoned/neglected in the first place......If owners and breeders were responsible there wouldn't be a problem, now would there?

meleeka

Visit site
Yes, completely agree with that. Having visited a UK horse charity, I couldn't believe the number of completely - forgive the language - useless horses in the place; everything seemed to be a non-ridden/companion-only type which quite frankly were blocking spaces for useable horses. I did start to have a conversation with the lady in charge about it, but she seemed to think I was evil just for thinking this o_O Of course, that is why they were abandoned/neglected in the first place......If owners and breeders were responsible there wouldn't be a problem, now would there?

What’s evil is that they are so selective when it comes to actually dealing with neglect cases. Leaving a horse rotting in it’s own s**t because they haven’t got anywhere for it to go is just plain wrong. They can’t just seize it I know, but they can put enormous pressure on owners and call a (independent) vet who will decide if it’s suffering. In my personal experience vets just say what the inspectors tell them to, based on whether they’ve got anywhere to take them. It would be very controversial for them to just pts but I wish they’d stop thinking about donations for a minute and do the decent thing sometimes.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I can't believe this has happened again with the rspca, I would never contact them about anything they are beyond useless especially when horses are involved good decent horses anyway, rubbish cobs they can't wait to rescue regardless of the end outcome or the massive expense it takes to get them to being healthy field ornaments.

minesadouble

Visit site
So some will never be able to be ridden as they 'have behaviour issues and would be dangerous'. Who exactly within the RSPCA makes that judgement?