More stallion advice ,please

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I asked before for some suggestions but now have more knowledge so need more help.
Our 4 year old mare had an injury last week and we feared it may be a damaged ligament so decided to have scan and maybe put in foal. Today had scan and no damage at all. We discussed with vet that it had given us a fright and would he suggest letting her have a foal so that we are not tempted to push her too much , then compete her at 6. He thought this was a great idea as with her confirmation she will find the work too easy and may strain herself. He explained that the shape and movement that we are breeding in our dressage horses means that they move under themselves all the time [not when just training] so there is more stress on them all the time. We should take a lot of time with them but because they move well we start to ask more and more. This made sense to us. He didn't want her too stop work but do lots of hill work and straight lines to strengthen and swim her to get her legs working behind her.
So we have decided to do that as he said her confirmation was good but you have to realise that this confirmation has its own dangers.
So she is by Showmaker and out of a mare by Glendale. She is much lower behind than in front and has a bit of a straight back. She is very trainable and an easy temperament [ except now as she has been box rested] People say that with Showmaker horses you want a stallion with a quick hindleg but would this put more strain on the ligament.
Here is a video of her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgj33po2X1k&feature=plcp
She is ridden by a very good non pro rider would wants to keep her for life and her foal.
Up to about £1000 stud fee.
I haven't got a good confo photo of her sorry but could take one.
She had started to compete and scored well [apart from when she did flying changes instead of counter canter]. All 3 paces are good, she has got 8's for her walk from every judge, probably trot is her weakest.
Thank you

Wisnette

Visit site
She's a nice mare.

I've had a quick look at the video and the one thing that jumped out to me was she seems to flex her hind fetlocks quite a lot which can be associated with ligament problems. I think Showmaker is the same as are most from the Sandro Hit lines. I personally would choose a stallion that did't flex quite so much... possibly Jazz or his son Wynton - they'll give you a quicker hindleg too.

MillionDollar

Visit site
How about...

Showtime (owned and ridden by Gemma Appleton nee Green, he's full brother to Ravel)
Woodlander Wavavoom

In fact I'm sure Lynne Crowden of Woodlander Stud would give you some good advice :)

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Thank you both. We love Jazz but do not have enough knowledge of breeding to know if that is a good cross. This is what we are trying to learn.
Will also ask woodlander stud for advice

Spiderman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
She is lovely and I'm sorry you've had a scare with her, but better a scare than a full blown injury. :rolleyes:
It is interesting what your vet has said as it has occured to me before, that if we keep breeding more and more uphill and quicker and quicker hindlegs, that we're asking for trouble. To me it stands to reason that if we're not careful we are breeding horses to break down behind.:( Everything in moderation, I say!
I think her hock action in the video is very good but as Wisnette points out, she does appear to be quite weak in her fetlocks. What are her pasterns like, are they long?

Sorry, I'm not much help on the stallion front, unless you like black and white!!!!;):D, there are so many to choose from. A side on conformation shot would be a good place to start from.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I will take a photo. Thank you. The vet also said to get her heels up. He explained that you can train a horse for dressage and it will only hold itself in that position whilst being ridden. She will go in that position all the time so we can do things to help. As I.told you Gareth told her to take time with her. She also slips badly on the road and thats what caused the injury but nice to look inside her leg and see all the fibres were ok. We want her for life so dont mind waiting.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Angela recom him and as I love Jack Sparrow I think we will have a Johnson babe and if she doesnt get in foal you get some money returned which will suit as wont want her in foal the following year.

emlybob

Visit site
We have a Johnson 3 year old. Seriously smart animal, but very very quick in the brain. I love him but his offspring wouldn't suit everyone