More tack advice

dilbert

Visit site
Yesterday I took the bot out with the Readyfield and we had a lovely time. Just did the first line as wanted to end on a high and pony was sweaty and a bit cold. He's a cob x so has a biggish tongue I think.

Anyway, I rode him in a French link dutch gag , no martingale ( hes normally ridden in a French link loose ring snaffle).

The brakes were fine as far as I remember but he was throwing his head about a bit and photos show he was opening his mouth a bit too. Any suggestions for next time out?

JenHunt

Visit site
I would suggest that his tongue is too big for the amount of room the bit allows... and that it's nut-cracker action (although reduced by the french link) will have been making him uncomfortable in his mouth. He'll have been waving his head about to reduce that effect.

how about trying a waterford mouthpiece (your hands need to be light, as it can be harsh), or a myler with a port in it?

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
No advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to say my boy went for his first proper hunt yesterday with the Readyfield too. He only did the first line, was knackered by the end of it, bless him.

dilbert

Visit site
SD10 did you have fun? We were in the none jumping group :)

Jen - thanks for your advice. I don't think I'm good enough for a Waterford tbh. I will have a look at the mylers. I was also wondering about the neu scheule (sp?) universal as it comes in different thicknesses. We've never had any issues in his usual loose ring French link .

dilbert

Visit site
Hi S4sugar, yes it was fitted correctly re mouth position ( I consulted alot of people as I have never had to swap bits before) but no I didn't use two reins although I considered it as I know this is the correct way to use a bit like is. Do you think this may have been part of the problem ?

s4sugar

Visit site
With only one rein you were putting pressure on the poll and turning the bit in the mouth all the time. These bits should always be used with two reins.

I would suggest using the old French link plus a scrawbrig with two reins.

JenHunt

Visit site
Jen - thanks for your advice. I don't think I'm good enough for a Waterford tbh. I will have a look at the mylers. I was also wondering about the neu scheule (sp?) universal as it comes in different thicknesses. We've never had any issues in his usual loose ring French link .

tbh I don't have much experience with the neue schule bits, but I know a lot of people rate them. Have a word with the folk at Bit Bank and see what they say - looking at their site, I'd guess that something like the verdibend universal is what you'd be looking at....http://www.horsebitbank.com/neue-schule-verbindend-universal-16mm-778.phtml

I think often the dutch gag bits have a thicker mouthpiece than most loose ring snaffles - this may be all it is :)

dilbert

Visit site
Cheers Jen :)

I've been in contact with one of the Bit places and they've recommended either the NS Beval ( like a wilkie) or the NS universal so I'm going to have a trial of these and see how we get on I think :)

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
SD10 did you have fun? We were in the none jumping group :)

Hey Dilbert

Pony had masses of fun! My friend rode him for me this time as she has more experience than I, and it was his first time.
My daughter's going to take him on the amble they have in July, she'll be none jumping too then.

Just to chip in a sec, I've got a hanging cheek waterford of you want to try the mouthpiece without shelling out the cash

B x