Moreton Report

Mel85

Visit site
Now I have recovered from the long day yesterday I thought I should write a full report!

Had a fantastic day - excellent start to the season! Took baby to do first event of the season, no real expectations of her. Was amazed with how chilled out she was - was a 3 hour journey so a fair old trek really, but an trouble free journey! Got there and she happily stood munching her haynet while I walked the course. It was a decent enough intro, but the going was fantastic.

I was so impressed with how quiet she was for the dressage, came out as if she was just at West Wilts for evening dressage again! Totally unfazed by it all. Worked in quite well - not even WFP's horse being a hooligan right next to her upset her, did a lovely test, a few minor mistakes and comments of things that we are working on at the moment, but scored 27.5.

Showjumping warm up was just manic!
crazy.gif
Didn't jump more than about 3 fences and then just walked round til it was my turn to go. She was quite green - a bit unsure about the people on the bank watching and eyes on stalks at the fillers. Jumped the first fence out of trot, bless her, but then got the idea and jumped really well. I had a proper miss at the last fence (hold my hand up to that one!), but she dug me out and jumped it. Didn't know my dressage score at this point and as I was on the way up to xc my trainer told me that if I went clear inside the time I'd win. Having planned a nice quiet run for first event, I thought sod it I'll have to go for it! Time had seemed quite tight so I did really have to kick on but she gave me a fantastic ride! Only had one sticky moment going down to the water which was quite a steep slope in and quite spooky, she went a bit left, right, left, right all the way to it, but went in without a problem. Finished on dressage score and she won! Owner was ecstatic - total surprise considering we had no expectations really. Won a nice set of mark todd travel boots. Had to wait til about 6.30pm for prize giving so was a late night back after a 3 hour journey home, but was worth it!

Really good start to the season - saw HHO's stilton there as well. Not sure how she went...although I'm sure we'll get a report from her too!

Next stop Belmont...if I get in off the waitlist!!!!
smile.gif

Tangaroo

Visit site
Thats fantastic Mel well done you must be chuffed! I had a fairly good day. He behaved beautifully in the dressage and did what i thought was a super test, only to be given 42!!! Never mind, the judge cant like all of them can she!. As you said, the sj warm up was chaos and i ended up on the floor at the parallel in the warm up. Someone cut me up before i approached it so i circled away, but i think he lost his concentration and put in one of his really dirty stops on the second attempt. After dusting myself off we went into the ring and he flew round, think he was just glad to get away from all the people in the warm up. Cross country he gave me a fab ride, although i was surprised to get 5.6 time penalties cos i went faster than last year and he was within the time last year. I think i ended up 14th which i was pleased about. It was a good start to the season. It is a nice event but the sj warm up was lethal. Next time i will just wiz in and jump one jump, then come out and wait for my turn. It was nice to meet up with you, sorry we didnt get a chance to chat much, maybe next time, and well done again.

Mel85

Visit site
Well done - shame about your fall, glad you weren't hurt. It was a nightmare - when I was up there a horse got kicked and they had to get the vet up there to sort it out. Think he was still allowed to continue, but had a big flap on his side. Not nice! As for the dressage - the scores are always a mystery! What were her comments - would you have said they were fair? He looked like a nice horse - the brief glimpse that I got before I went in!

The xc time was tight. I wouldn't normally have ridden it like I did - I landed and kicked after every fence! She actually quite surprised me with her speed, we finished 20 seconds inside the time...not sure how we did that actually!! She was happy enough though!

You were actually parked behind me - was going to pop over, but everytime I saw you there you looked busy!! I'm sure our paths will cross again!

Tangaroo

Visit site
The judges comments didnt actually tally with any of his test, only that she gave him 7 for his paces which he usually gets.
I understood there was an accident at the sj, think i walked in on the tail end of the dispute! Glad the horse was alright.
I must admit the xc timing did surprise me cos my boy has a very long stride and he steamed round and caught up the person before me. That steep bank half way round he went up like a ding bat, where as last season he struggled up it.. Anyway, we both had a good day and stayed in one piece which is what matters. Im not at Belmont , but am at Larkhill and Bovington next. Will keep an eye on your reports to see where you are going and hopefully we can catch up soon.

Mel85

Visit site
I'm also going to Larkhill and Bovington, but doing PN there.

Did you happen to see who the photographer was there yesterday? Owner did buy 2 of the photos, but would like to let my dad see them online and see if he wants to buy another one!!! Hehe!!

Hen pulled up barely even puffing - was very pleased with that as she's got a bit of a tum on her from the grass at the moment and I was worried she might get tired, especially at the speed I ended up going!

Peanot

Visit site
Not fair that someone cut you up and you ended up on the floor. Get other half to give you a massage as you probably a bit sore!
Not a confidence thing for either of you, but well done you - for carrying on and finishing the day safe and sound.

wessexyeoman

Visit site
comments about the show jumping are fair - as the organiser, I can report that on previous events, nobody used our pre-warm up, which had lots of space, so with a shortage of good ground (remember the weather!), we moved the dressage away from the XC, which itself was a BE recommendation which left no room for that SJ pre-warm-up - but as it was hardly ever used, we thought it would be OK. We will change that next time.

However, I would welcome views whether moving DR closer to SJ is any better than having it somewhere near the XC - you are the competitors, so what's your view?
Always nice to have competitors at the prize-giving, though I know how far some have to travel, but for the organisers, it's nice to have something to remember after all the effort.

The course is open until 8th April, with the additional 2'6 2'3 and, for those starting out, 1'6 unaffiliated jumps in place.