Moreton - Starting the season despite lacking preparation!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
My first visit to Moreton and I will definitely be going back again, a super friendly event with great courses, ideal for the start of the season. I went feeling very under prepared, the previous weeks win at BD although great was no substitute for some decent cross country schooling! :rolleyes: With the nearest open course 4 hours away we couldn't quite make it!

We arrived in good time on Friday giving me plenty of time to walk the courses (take course pictures - here) and get settled in. Gave Pip a brief schooling session but as she was settled and supple didn't over do anything.

Times were tight on Saturday with only an hour covering the start of dressage to the proposed finish time cross country! We were one of the last to go of the day which meant no time for hanging around. Luckily super groom (aka Jane) and chief photographer (Nick) were along to lend a hand. Watched some cross country and the course was riding well although with 2/3 of the competitors in Open Novice sections it was always going to look good. The course generally suited an early event, it was generally straightforward with a few technical questions mainly between fences 6 and 9, where there was a double of skinnies off a tight turn, a double of decent corners, and along to a step with a tight turn to a skinny. It was a good course for Pip particularly as I had worries regarding our lack cross country preparation.

Dressage was test 112 which I quite like and I was hopeful of a good score. Dressage was running slightly late but this didn’t affect our warm up too much. The arena was very flat but had after 40 previous horses cut up particularly in the corners causing her to lose balance slightly. I wasn’t sure whether it was better to plough on through the muddy bits or cut corners and miss them. However even considering this she did a very nice consistent and settled test.

DSC_0084_zpsbc32a06c.jpg

DSC_0148_zps757e0c18.jpg

Dressage video

We scored 32 a personal best!

A very quick change of tack and removal of plaits (unlucky to leave in) and we were back to show jumping. All that haste was in vain as show jumping was running quite late. Luckily Jane noticed I had fitted the bit incorrectly and plenty of tine to put that right! :eek::eek:

She warmed up sweetly although the grass warm up was slightly sticky and she struggled slightly in the ground. Luckily the course was on a surface. Jumped a nice round but just had the one pole.

DSC_0238_zps1084beda.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsecf10183.jpg

Show jumping video

Pretty pleased we weren't too rusty.

Another quick change and onto cross country. Following our show jumping warm up I did put some slightly bigger studs in to make sure we had good grip although the ground on the course was very good.

I was quite pleased to see a good variety of warm up fences in the warm up which allowed me to get a bit of a feel for jumping a cross country fence again!

We set off and what can I say she gave me a super feel the whole way round, she didn’t feel green or lacking confidence more the opposite problem. Rode strongly at fence 1 and from that point on just tried to keep a good tempo and sensible speed, remembering the lack of preparation I did not set off looking to make the time.

DSC_0294_zps7f418573.jpg

1 -3 were straightforward, 4 was a double of logs on sloping away ground so took time *to set her up for the first but then let her run down the hill to the second and she really jumped it well. 6 was the first question a parallel skinny approached on a tight left turn with 4 strides to another skinny, she locked on and had no hesitation. Fence 8ab was what probably worried me most it was a double of corners that needed to be ridden on an accurate curving line of 4 strides. Again she jumped it like a real pro on the exact line and striding I intended (now how often does that happen?!:rolleyes:) The next fence was a decent log 3 strides to a step up and then a curving 5 to another skinny again she jumped it very smoothly. Some simple fences followed before we reached the water, I rode it quite strongly as l though heading home it was quite spooky and there was a crocodile to be jumped in the water. I obviously rode it a bit too strongly as we took a stride out!

DSC_0305-Copy_zps301015d7.jpg

DSC_0312_zps1fe5d6ca.jpg

Video shows us setting out and coming home - video.

We had 8 time penalties so finished on a score of 44. Delighted with a good solid start to the season which should set us up nicely for things to come.

So have left my entry in for the Intermediate at Gatcombe in 3 weeks :cool: and have one more preparation run at Aldon in 2 weeks. :eek:

Javabb94

Visit site
Sounds like a very positive start to your season :)

The pics are great

I can't wait to get going with Abbie now seeing all the reports!

eventing_2012

Visit site
Well done! Sounds great. Especially as you didn't manage to get any Xc schooling in. The Int at gatcombe in September was a really nice track so fingers crossed for a good first run at that level with her. :)

JEP

Visit site
Excellent first run of the season. Pip looked really soft and supple in the dressage and was just fabulous on the x/c. Considering how awful the weather's been this winter you've done a marvellous job to get her so fit and in great shape. Roll on Aldon (and I do have the right date on the calendar, so no idea why I thought it was this Saturday - blonde moment or old age!!!! )

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Well done SJ you look pretty slick in your photos! Sounds like a great first run.

TheoryX1

Visit site
I do second your statement that Moreton is a lovely event. Its been the starter event for Mini TX for the last 4 years, plus she has done a couple of PC Area events there as well. Its always very friendly and welcoming, well laid out and the courses always seem to ride well. Its also a tradition for Mini TX to work in the far corner of the dressage warm up in rear mostly. Didnt happen this year though.

Well done, I did peek a look at your section scores as well, but I guess you were long gone by then as it was late into the afternoon, so well done. I did although think that all the sections were even more competitive than usual, didnt you? Your mare is a gorgeous girly, there is nothing like a good mare, they dont (usually) let you down unless something is amiss.

Totally agree with your's and Lex's comments regarding showjumping as Mini TX has the same problem - fab dressage, brave as a lion, accurate and fast xc, but a pole basher ......... However, they wouldnt be eventers if they didnt, would they?

So where next?

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I do second your statement that Moreton is a lovely event. Its been the starter event for Mini TX for the last 4 years, plus she has done a couple of PC Area events there as well. Its always very friendly and welcoming, well laid out and the courses always seem to ride well. Its also a tradition for Mini TX to work in the far corner of the dressage warm up in rear mostly. Didnt happen this year though.

Well done, I did peek a look at your section scores as well, but I guess you were long gone by then as it was late into the afternoon, so well done. I did although think that all the sections were even more competitive than usual, didnt you? Your mare is a gorgeous girly, there is nothing like a good mare, they dont (usually) let you down unless something is amiss.

Totally agree with your's and Lex's comments regarding showjumping as Mini TX has the same problem - fab dressage, brave as a lion, accurate and fast xc, but a pole basher ......... However, they wouldnt be eventers if they didnt, would they?

So where next?

Yes agreed often find early season events are a bit less competitive but not here, mind you ground so good it was fair to give them all a good run.

Glad you had a good day too. We are at Aldon next then Gatcombe :)

TheoryX1

Visit site
Glad you had a good day too. We are at Aldon next then Gatcombe :)

Off to Aldon as well next for BE100 open on Friday next week and then off to Larkhill for a nice Novice run. I did try and get her to try Gatcombe, mainly because I love Gatcombe, but her trainer over-ruled mummy and suggested a nice confidence building Novice prior to her first ONu18(Q) of the season at Bicton.

Good luck with your lovely mare, I am sure you will fly itl