most bite resistant rugs

mjcssjw2

Visit site
My horse has a tendency to stand near the fenceline, a particularly grumpy neighbour keeps bitting chunks out of her rug, any suggestions as to the best buy in terms of least likely to sustain major damage?

Nasicus

Visit site
My horse has a tendency to stand near the fenceline, a particularly grumpy neighbour keeps bitting chunks out of her rug, any suggestions as to the best buy in terms of least likely to sustain major damage?
Could you run a line of electric fencing a foot or two inside the fence line? Would stop her getting close enough to get her rugs ripped? I've found that no matter how strong the rug, if another horse is particularly determined to rip it they usually will regardless.

mjcssjw2

Visit site
i did have, but its a bit of a nuisance, mind you so is the rug situation, she only had it two days when the first session took place

flying_high

Visit site
cheapest lightweight no fill over the top. So that takes the biting.

Might be able to get second hand from Preloved/ FB / ebay.

Shay

Visit site
Anything over 1600D is more resistant. The problem with having ripable rugs over is that sometimes (more often in my experience) the rug under is caught in teeth and torn too. Otherwise -cribox on the most likely areas to be caught?

Is she standing where neighbors bite her rug because she is to warm and wants itching?

Carrottom

Visit site
I have one who does this, I make patches out of an old rug and glue them on with Copydex. Put the glue on the outer surface of the patch and hold in place for a few seconds, can be done in the field although the rug does need to be dry.

Louby

Visit site
My old boy's friend used to pick him up by his rugs! They play fought and it got to the point I just couldnt afford to keep replacing them as it was a weekly occurance that my horses rugs were shredded. Someone recommended Rambo's, the original balistic nylon ones, unfortunately the most expensive ones. It broke my heart to pay so much but it was the best thing I did, it stood up to the rough playing, sadly my old boy is no longer with us but his rug is still going strong, over 10 yrs later!

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
Spray your rugs with Mcnasty Anti chewing spray. You can even spray it directly onto your horse if needed. My daughter’s gelding was covered in bite marks as well as having his rugs trashed and it really worked!

The Trooper

Visit site
Spray your rugs with Mcnasty Anti chewing spray. You can even spray it directly onto your horse if needed. My daughter’s gelding was covered in bite marks as well as having his rugs trashed and it really worked!

Just don't lick your lips after/during grooming! I put bite off on Belle's mane and made that mistake, it's no wonder it stops them biting!

mjcssjw2

Visit site
thank you everyone, i think the horse is just a git - it lunges at her if i ride past the field, even when i am on. Doesnt do it to my other horse as he would probably kill her.
i will try something on the rug, but wondered if one of the old rambos would do it. i will look at mcnasty