Most cost effective way to get lessons?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
What's the most cost effective way to get some lessons? I know I'm desperately in need, so I'm thinking my choices are club or transport share perhaps?

Does anyone else have any bright ideas? I only work part time and have a baby to pay for so the cheaper the better :)

Tickles

Visit site
Where is horse kept? (I'm guessing you're an owner?) Is there anything like an arena/field you can ride in there?

You might find an instructor willing to come to you, espec. if you can share a lesson with a friend, isn't all that bad?

Also, if you get your OH or someone (even a gatepost!) to hold a video camera you can watch and listen again in between lessons to make the learning stretch a little further.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Hi, my horse is kept at my home, but for local, decent instructors I'm still seeing prices around £40! That's a lot for me currently. I might have a job finding someone with the ability to box to mine for a lesson and TBF it's not all that idea, it's not a greatly flat field but by far better than nothing for me!!

Good idea about videoing lessons though :) thanks

JenJ

Visit site
I get lessons from my YM in return for doing the whole yard (of 12) once a week, and helping out ad hoc. Works for both of us.

May not help you though...sorry!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I get lessons from my YM in return for doing the whole yard (of 12) once a week, and helping out ad hoc. Works for both of us.

May not help you though...sorry!

Well no, it doesn't, but in a good way :D sometimes I do wish I had someone else here, anyway that's cloud cuckoo land!

I was wondering if anyone would go for joint lessons to somewhere and to pay towards my lessons... not in return for transport, because you can't do that. :)

Ella19

Visit site
I hack to my local riding club, cosrs about £25 for the year then £8-£14 for a lesson depending on how many in a group and an hour or hour and a half lesson.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thinking about it, I don't know if I can really do RC being as the lessons are later and my partner drives the trailer there'll be no-one with our little monster at home :D but i guess i could sometimes go...but it'd be infrequently I suppose, I have to be fair.
Still, keep the ideas coming guys!! :) thank you

mandwhy

Visit site
If you have transport that seems like the obvious thing to use to your advantage! I am dying to get out places so would definitely be up for an arrangement like that. Otherwise I have an instructor who costs 20 an hour and comes to me, its certainly been beneficial so maybe you could find the cheaper ones and give them a whirl! I am not bothered if they have BHS whatever to be honest, I think the proof is in the pudding and if they compete then that is usually enough qualification for me. I spoke to her quite a bit first to see if she had the right sort of mindset I.e. will take it easy on my fragile confidence and understands I don't want to push my horse really hard too quickly.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Thanks mandy, it's just finding the right person and dare I say it, i don't think facebook is the right way and I cant think of how else?

Patterdale

Visit site
Where are you based?
I used to teach freelance at £25/hour and I have a friend who competes at CCI*** level and he's only £30....maybe shop around a bit?

Or find someone else locally who will come to you and share lessons?

Lolo

Visit site
Clinics? Should be cheaper... Or find someone very good/ lots of experience who doesn't have official qualifications?

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha well I think I would chance facebook as I don't know many horse folk, you can but try! Totally know what you mean about trainers being a bit much sometimes, I specifically need someone who will be a bit soft and understanding of my wobbles, hey I am paying them after all!

Ella19

Visit site
My rc is weekends or even week days mornings or midday. May be worth investigating your local clubs.

Jasmine86

Visit site
What about finding a trainee instructor? someone who is doing their PTT? They will probably be around £15 or so?

Obviously if you want to claim on their insurance in the result of an accident then you'll need to make sure they have it but its up to you. Possibly speak to local equestrian centres, colleges or schools as they may know someone - or put up a wanted ad on a local equestrian facebook page?

Defo agree with the video camera - a great idea

Best of luck

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
What about finding a trainee instructor? someone who is doing their PTT? They will probably be around £15 or so?

Obviously if you want to claim on their insurance in the result of an accident then you'll need to make sure they have it but its up to you. Possibly speak to local equestrian centres, colleges or schools as they may know someone - or put up a wanted ad on a local equestrian facebook page?

Defo agree with the video camera - a great idea

Best of luck

I was going to say this. I am training to do my bsja accredited coaching exams so I am teaching at the moment either for the cost of the fuel or just a little bit of pocket money depending how far I have to travel

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Our riding club organises lessons every fortnight with my instructor, group/semi private in an indoor, price is about £15 per hour each. Was a bit cheaper but the arena had a new surface in so now costs a bit more to hire, lovely arena though and great instructor

russianhorse

Visit site
Hmmm I'm watching this with interest as I'm looking for an instructor to teach my kids to ride on the hairy, and give me some lessons on the flat and confidence to jump

But as you can imagine, all that will cost a small mortgage :D

russianhorse

Visit site
Oh, and the instructor has to be gentle with my feelings lol :D i already dread (which is probably why after 19 years of riding I haven't had any) the "Jeepers already man, how the heck do you ride in public like that" comments

MileAMinute

Visit site
Are there any tack shops near you? The woman who runs my local one gave my friend a number for a good instructor. Maybe ask equine vet/farrier? People in those professions to tend to hear recommendations. Failing that post on FB and ask for instructors near you.
Good luck! :)