Most interesting comment from a dressage judge?

Madam Min

Visit site
My OH and our old horse once got "Tactfully ridden, horse looked like he was about to explode!" He probably was, he wasnt a dressage horse, bless him!

benson21

Visit site
'Neither horse nor rider should ever try dressage again!' My first ever dressage test, benson had done many before, she gave us 38%.:eek:

Another one, it was a very hot day, as I went into the test, I had a dreadful feeliing that my blood sugars were dropping rapidly, (diabetic) but I thought I would be fine. How wrong could I be!! Halt, immobility, salute, consisted of halt (got that bit right!) immobility, (I slid down the neck of benson, who was doing his bit right!!) salute, (I did salute, after the bar of chocolate brought to me by the judge who had guessed what was going on!!!) Comments were, 'interesting dismount!!!':eek::eek:

SuperCoblet

Visit site
"left arena and took off in canter, nice re start" then in the same test in free walk "need to lengthen reins and let pony stretch, bit can understand why you're not!"
Had lots of disobedients! :eek:

On another horse I've had "not sure a whole lap of bucking is part of the test" :D

fishy

Visit site
I got a 'nice big spook' at my last test. This was because a horse eating dragon was lurking in the trees around the arena and decided to rustle the leaves as we passed. My horse did an enormous star jump (thank god I'm used to them) and then carried on as normal!

LansdownK310

Visit site
I laughed at one I had "keep going, I promise you it will be good!" Think the judge heard me call mine a monkey as I walked out. I have had a few "lovely change but sadly not required" in the canter! Had a friend write for judge at unaffiliated show last year, test was going well, judge seemed pleased then came the canter "oh no it can't canter" luckily canter work is miles better now :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
My best was "your horse is being naughty" written on the sheet.
Oh really I hadn't spotted that doing the whole test in canter, neat and accurate - just all canter - the walk parts in walk speed canter, the trot parts in trot speed canter etc. was pretty naughty!!!

It was a ODE and he very much had his eye on the XC phase !!

Bexx

Visit site
I once had, "tactfully ridden test on a pony who was obviously worried about the cows today"
Dressage arena was right next door to a field with about 20 cows in it, who all decided to come and watch my test :p

TheLadyInBay

Visit site
Bella:

"full of character!" as she chose to eat grass instead of free walk :rolleyes:

In hand show judge "You do know a veteran must be calm and quiet" Damn. I forgot.

Milton:

Show judge: "don't worry, the next class you are in is judged on the horse not you so you should do much better" maybe I should send him in on his own? :D

"Interesting gait" as who walk and trot test was in medium trot

Lucyad

Visit site
I have had (in the middle of a 3 loop serpentine) 'stopped for poop, pity!'

At a ODE 'when rider gets more confident in canter, this could be a force to be reckoned with' -went on to get double clear - involving a little cantering! (though to be fair was riding conservatively as the grass arena was slippery and on a pronounced slope!).

...and I have been deducted 2 points for talking, for muttering 'oh ****, here we go!' while entering down the centreline - I wasn't even talking to the ****** horse!

Last edited:

shmoo

Visit site
Back in my teenage angst days I had 'I can see he's a difficult horse, but smile more' Smile !!! They weren't riding him !!! That horse hated me, and laughed every time he ditched me. We were eliminated on jump 5 of the XC for jumping the open course by mistake...

My eventing career pretty much died that day... very sad. :p

Apercrumbie

Visit site
"Disobedient" was a bit of an understatement as my lovely pony had decided she wanted to spend most of the test on her back legs - we got 70. Sounds great apart from the fact that we were eventing, it was the worst mark they'd ever had at that event :(

"Well persevered" was probably my favourite. I was on a very green nappy horse who kept trying to gallop out of the arena. After the second time they mercifully shut the gate so I could actually do something. He kept leaping all the way round and still ran for the gate but eventually I did complete the test. The judge got out of the car to give me a tissue as by the end I was crying with sheer frustration.

telerimist

Visit site
I have a pony who's been there done that, who's sadly retired at 21, but she knew the photographer!!
At the Chiltern and Thames Winter Championships we had a beautiful warm up and I was feeling great, took our turn up the centre line and the photographer was positioned at B, pony caught on 2 metres inside the arena so we got a stunning expressive half pass down the centre line!!!

On the test paper, we still received a 7! And written as 'Half pass not needed at novice level, however beautifully executed and straight down C/L'

ahaha I was amazed, and was placed 10th!

Last edited:

soulfull

Visit site
one wrote about my last horse 'amazing flexibility' this was due to him bouncing up and down followed by him throwing his head up and turning his head backward, I swear he nearly hit me in the face with his nose:eek:

current horse 'cheeky lad and tactfully ridden, but I think your going to need to get tough on him. however some parts showed real potential for a horse I think will go right up the grades'

had quite a few either 'tactfully or sympathetically riddens' over the years and a couple of 'well sat's' :rolleyes:

ReggiePerrin

Visit site
We had a fun dressage competition and bbq at the yard 2 weeks ago. Barney well and truly lived up to his nickname of The Toddler, which I didn't take very well. As I came out of the arena, I commented to my friends "what a f**cking s**t!"

When I picked up my test sheet later in the day, the comments were "lovely horse with elastic paces, shame he was such a f**cking s**t!" I may have said it rather louder than I should have!

kc100

Visit site
"Spooked at A" which actually meant I got too close to the white boards in canter and when giant horse sees white boards he thinks he is a showjumper and leaps over them like its beechers brook.

Judges are more often than not quite kind and gloss over the truth, still made me giggle though :D

Have had 'attractive horse' before as well, clearly the judge had no comment on his abilities in dressage but thought he was nice to look at! Maybe we should take up showing instead.....

Dizzy socks

Visit site
We had a fun dressage competition and bbq at the yard 2 weeks ago. Barney well and truly lived up to his nickname of The Toddler, which I didn't take very well. As I came out of the arena, I commented to my friends "what a f**cking s**t!"

When I picked up my test sheet later in the day, the comments were "lovely horse with elastic paces, shame he was such a f**cking s**t!" I may have said it rather louder than I should have!

That's hilarious! :D

cbmcts

Visit site
Ooooh, MOT failure - no brakes or steering.

WE'd left the ring at speed, spun all the way round the car park and only stopped at the (thankfully) shut gate :eek:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Best one I have had was " Oh dear Liz it just wasnt your day today well done for carrying on"

I did a test on my sisters warmblood and her eyes were out on stalks in the indoor school, and the horse felt and looked like it was going to explode the whole way round, hence why I went wrong, the judge even came and spoke to me afterwards and said I did well to carry on until the end considering how wound up she was.

Mince Pie

Visit site
The sister got, "A very spectacular halt!" Video evidence of that incident too!

That's your sister? I love that video!! What were the rest of her marks as the test looked quite nice up until that point?

My funniest was something along the lines of "bucking not required, what a cheeky pony! Obviously wants to be a showjumper..." Pony in question was a very opinionated Welsh C mare who bucked up all 3 centre lines in the test :rolleyes: :D

The most bizarre was "well done on not being phased by the loose horse" - I wasn't fazed as I had absolutely no idea a loose horse had cantered through the bottom of my arena! :eek:

Last edited:

charlimouse

Visit site
'Bucked rider off, prehaps horse should become a bronco?'

And in my first ever test I got 'horse would have potential if it wasn't for the rider'. Good thing I have a thick skin or I would have given up there and then! Thankfully barring the incident above when my horse turned himself inside out halfway through the test we have generally improved!

Liane

Visit site
I got

'Would make a lovely circus horse' and 'high school movements not required at this level'

I think I scored around 30ish ;-)

windand rain

Visit site
Interesting interpretation of Intro b
when naughty pony entered the arena at flat out gallop. managed to stay straight though and then settled to score a fair 58%

bexcy-bee

Visit site
I've had 'nice looking horse, didn't get to see many paces though' - youngsters first show and he decided bucking the whole way round was fun.

'I thought your horse was going to jump my car' - horse had locked onto show jumping arena next door!

Bexcy-bee x