Most ISH are usually part TB

Shay

Visit site
Chalk it up to another one of those things. Did they think they were coming for an Irish draft?

hairycob

Visit site
Yep. One lot had driven a long way too. If they had asked about breeding we would have given them details no problem. First time we have sold a horse and we have had one who doesn't understand seat aids & 2 that don't know breeds.

Farcical1

Visit site
I do think people see ISH and think it means pure Irish Draft. I have two Irish Sport Horses, both on full green passports. One is 3/4 ID, 1/4 TB and the other is Connie x TB.
The TB genes give the endurance and speed to the breed, making them more sporty!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I thought always actually rather than usually. Nowt as queer as folk. Surely they saw the photos and asked about his temperament so what did they expect those rogue and unexpected TB genes to do??

WandaMare

Visit site
This would have made me laugh, especially the one who had driven the long way. It must be my warped sense of humour :)

Enfys

Visit site
I understood that "sport" meant there was a good percentage of tb in anything, the 'nationality' merely indicated the other part of the breeding. I was told by someone that they had an arab sport horse the other day, straight 50/50 cross, she assured me it was NOT an anglo arab as she hated those :D who am I to argue !

be positive

Visit site
My ISH is 1/8th ID, 3/8ths tb and 1/2 Selle Francais, most have tb in them, many will be like mine and have very little ID blood in them, what a waste of time going to see horses when you have no idea what you are going to see.

Not heard of an Anglo Arab being described as an Arab sports horse, they are trying to deny the tb which in some people eyes has now become undesirable but in the past was nearly always used to put on quality, which it still does, most warm bloods have a large percentage of tb but it is not publicised in the way the traditional lines are.

Enfys

Visit site
Come to think of it so many breeds have tb, and therfore a micro drop of arab, in them. It is almost a given, excepting the purest of natives, before people jump on me.

All my papered Paints and Quarter horses could be directly traced to Eclipse and beyond.

sport horse

Visit site
and aren't warmbloods derived from tb on whatever type or breed is popular or native to a region? :) That was my understanding.

Enfys I have spent so many years trying to tell people that ID x TB is a warmblood, to no avail, that I have long since given up!! Of course a warm blood is a TB (hot) crossed with any draft type of horse (cold) hence HOT plus COLD = WARM. QED!!!

oldie48

Visit site
I do get a bit cross with the attitude some folks have towards TBs. We've had a fair few horses and ponies and apart from a reg Connie they all had TB in them, some quite a lot. They have all had lovely temperaments, good feet (except Mr B, his need careful management) have lived on fresh air and proved to be pretty tough. They have all moved well, had a decent pop and been very trainable. People do talk rubbish!

hairycob

Visit site
Not only are the there 8 photos on the ad - side on untacked, flat work, jumping, cantering through water etc that make it quite clear he is a lighter, eventer type stamp but they had also seen videos & his breeding is on the ad! Neither asked any additional questions about his breeding before they came. I was surprised when the first one was horrified he was part tb " we wouldn't have come if you had told us" but when another came out with the same I was beginning to doubt my own sanity.

be positive

Visit site
So what were they expecting, a quality event type will be part tb even if it is given a different label such as one of the many warmblood types they will all carry a good percentage of tb. not to mention that if his breeding was on the ad why on earth did they do no research, to get 2 people with so little knowledge would make me want to give up.

dibbin

Visit site
That's quite funny. I've never known an ISH that wasn't part TB!

We have one who is by an ID stallion out of a TB mare, and one who is 5/8 TB and 3/8 ID.

Madam Min

Visit site
Personally I love TBs. When looking for our last horse, we were looking for an ex racer but couldn't find one height wise for my OH hence how we came to have our Bambi! She is green passport ISH, her sire was the stallion French Buffet, he was full up TB. With Clover Hill blood lines she has ISH/ID her dams side. Looks wise she's very TB but is about 17.1!!! I liken her to a leggy super model!!!

pennandh

Visit site
Fairly sure the old-fashioned definition of ISH was that it had to be some combination of RID, TB, and/or Connie. That now technically has a different acronym these days (which I can't remember off the top of my head), because ISH can also refer to something that's RIDxWarmblood etc. but nearly all of them have a fair old bit of TB in them.

atropa

Visit site
*Headdesk* don't people ever look at 'Horse Breeds of the World' books anymore? Or indeed, even have a quick Google?!

hairycob

Visit site
I know Atropa. And if I was looking at a horse where the ad gave 4 generations of breeding the first thing I would be doing would be googling the stallions. Especially if I was going to drive for 2 hours to see the horse. Such a shame as he would have been great for what she was actually looking for but I showed them his passport and that was it. The first lot, where the guy had the nerve to claim we knew nothing about horses, on realising he is 3/4 tb asked how come he didn't make it on the track! I never thought I was hugely knowledgeable, only having got into riding in my 40s and tend to research everything but I am starting to realise what a low base is out there.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The TB has had enormous influence on the Irish Draught - and is still doing so via the Grade-up Register (which is basically mares who are 3/4 ID and 1/4 TB/ISH/Connemara.)

But some of the most influential RID stallions had a large chunk of TB. Pride of Shaunlara's dam was by Prefairy. Clover Hill's TB chunk was even bigger - he was half TB (by Golden Beaker), King of Diamonds was 1/4TB. It's very hard to find an Irish Draught pedigree without a dash of TB - or at least a gap in the pedigree that might be TB.

stormox

Visit site
In Ireland the ISH can be anything fro m parents in the ISH studbook, which includes, amongst others, Dutch,German and French warmbloods, as well as ID,Con and TB. However there is the ISH TIH where TIH stands for 'Traditional Irish Horse' and these just contain ID TB and Con.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I have an ish but he isn't x tb. He is id x connemara. If we do an Ish class he is normally the chunkiest by far so I presume the rest are tb x.

Fransurrey

Visit site
So did they not even get on? If I had travelled so far, I would have at least had a test ride. I guess some people are very prejudiced against TBs.

hairycob

Visit site
She did get on bit reluctantly. Got off and said I don't know if he would do xc. Um- what about the video of him schooling over 90cm at Keysoe or competing a 90cm HT at Swalcliffe? What about his record of placings? He has schooled at 1m plus & would do BE100 happily.

Reacher

Visit site
Unfortunately ISH term is a licence to register almost anything, hence the number of coloured ones around. As long as it is bred in Ireland it can be registered with them. There are also a lot with no breeding recorded.

Agree with this, a dealer showed me his "ISH"s which were all middle / heavy weight cobs!