Most stupid thing you've called the vet for?

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I had the vet out today because my gelding seemed really irritated with his sheath and it was swollen.

He loves getting it washed so I'd throughly cleaned and rinsed it and couldn't see any obvious reason but he was still kicking at it so the vet has been out today sedated and throughly cleaned everything but couldn't see anything wrong up there.
The issue turns out to be the pony is just too hairy back there and when he puts it away he pulls some hair into the sheath, which has irrated him so hes been kicking at it and making it more irritated.

So I've basically paid probably about £150 for my vet to come and give my pony a bit of manscaping with the clippers and have a laugh! 🤣 Luckily I wanted to ask him about one of my other ponies as well so I would have needed to have him come out anyway at some point.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Wasn't me but a fellow livery called vet as she though horse had developed a sarcoid. On close inspection was found to be an old , sticky ,hairy , raspberry fruit pastel stuck to the skin.

Haha that would be embarrassing but so funny! I don't think mine would get that problem, his field mate would have sniffed it out and eaten it off him!

HopOnTrot

Visit site
New Years Eve, 3pm, go to turn ponies out and daughter’s 22 year old pony is puffing and sweating. As it’s NYE I decide not to be the twat calling the vet at midnight so I call, vet agrees pony looks off, we take bloods…

£300 later we decide the pony was hot, ffs, she is now clipped every winter!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It was years ago and Arabi was hobbling in the field with a puffy tendon so I thought he had damaged it, got him in hosed the leg put support bandages on and waited for the vet.

Vet examined leg agreed it was puffy but no pain on palpation so lifted foot up and his shoe had slipped, so part of it was digging into his sole and was obviously painful and where he wasn't weight bearing the leg swelled.

Very expensive call out for vet to basically remove shoe and tell me to poultice hoof just incase, he was totally sound once the shoe was removed 🙈

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Wasn't me but a fellow livery called vet as she though horse had developed a sarcoid. On close inspection was found to be an old , sticky ,hairy , raspberry fruit pastel stuck to the skin.
I saw similar to that on a vet programme. An old lady took a very hairy matted little dog because she felt a big lump but it turned out to be a boiled sweet 😂

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I saw similar to that on a vet programme. An old lady took a very hairy matted little dog because she felt a big lump but it turned out to be a boiled sweet 😂
The embarrassing thing was that several people had looked at it and not realised. It had been laid on so that was the excuse 🤣

meesha

Visit site
Baggins turned on yard and took a wrong step, so assumed lame. Had lost other horse few weeks b4 and a motocross bike had been hammering up and down that morning and baggins had been charging around. New companion pony was due the next day so I called vet at 5pm as thought cant introduce new one with him off!!..out of hours of course.... horse trotted up totally sound, prob stone in shoe (so panicked I hadn't even trotted him up or picked out feet lol) best money I ever spent finding out he was OK lo,, might have told vet I loved her lol.

Follysmum

Visit site
Think I can beat most people 🙈
Many years ago hubby was working away from home, had a frantic call from daughter that she thought the cat was dead in the kitchen. Raced home ringing hubby on route , take her straight to the vets he said !
Yes you guessed it
I took a dead cat to the vet
His response “ yes I think it’s dead “

Fjord

Visit site
That has really made me laugh, I'm proper giggling here, thank you. 🤣🤣🤣

Lady Jane

Visit site
Think I can beat most people 🙈
Many years ago hubby was working away from home, had a frantic call from daughter that she thought the cat was dead in the kitchen. Raced home ringing hubby on route , take her straight to the vets he said !
Yes you guessed it
I took a dead cat to the vet
His response “ yes I think it’s dead “
AmI allowed to laugh?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not a horse and I never did actually call the vet but after having to have a young Lab pts so being over-alert to trouble, I thought that her 'replacement' , a pale yellow pup had scabs at the bases of her ears. Closer inspection showed that she had porrage stuck to her fur!🤣

ArklePig

Visit site
When first took the dog home from the rescue she was absolutely frantic. I too wanted to call the vet the first day she truly relaxed, thought she was dying, was beside myself. Mr AP rightly pointed out she was just finally decompressing.

Called out of hours for a tiny cut on a guinea pigs paw, she told me I could dip it in some flour or pay her 150 £ to do the same thing, and take it from there. The bleeding stopped immediately and she lived another four years.

Marigold4

Visit site
Called vet out once because my horse behaved impeccably xc schooling. Was convinced she was dying 🙈

Eta the horse in question was a chestnut tb x welsh mare incase anyone wonders why I was a bit hysterical at this good behaviour 🤭
I called out vet because my gelding (bit of Welsh x tb in there) was subdued and had completed a dressage test with high score and no spooking (first time ever). Vet thought nothing wrong. Next day, he was very unwell with a temp of 40+ and massive hives. When you know, you know ...

lynz88

Visit site
It was years ago and Arabi was hobbling in the field with a puffy tendon so I thought he had damaged it, got him in hosed the leg put support bandages on and waited for the vet.

Vet examined leg agreed it was puffy but no pain on palpation so lifted foot up and his shoe had slipped, so part of it was digging into his sole and was obviously painful and where he wasn't weight bearing the leg swelled.

Very expensive call out for vet to basically remove shoe and tell me to poultice hoof just incase, he was totally sound once the shoe was removed 🙈
Some of these are really really good lol!

This reminds me I gave my horse 2 months off. Super lame. Assumed he was an idiot in the field because he is. Wasn't getting any better or would sometimes look a bit better and sometimes not. Heat and pulse in foot. Vet looks him over. We both wonder if a ligament or tendon knowing how stupid he is in the field. Hoof testers out first and foremore of which we didn't even need - you could push his soles down with your thumb!! Duh!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
A neighbour called to say they could see the spotted horse dragging its leg and stumbling in the field, and were very sorry to say they thought it might be broken.

I’m beside myself, of course. Phone vet, belt back home, run down to field. Horse is standing in long grass, looking very sorry for itself. With a bucket stuck to its foot.

rextherobber

Visit site
New Years Eve, 3pm, go to turn ponies out and daughter’s 22 year old pony is puffing and sweating. As it’s NYE I decide not to be the twat calling the vet at midnight so I call, vet agrees pony looks off, we take bloods…

£300 later we decide the pony was hot, ffs, she is now clipped every winter!
I've done exactly this as well!

FFAQ

Visit site
I called out vet because my gelding (bit of Welsh x tb in there) was subdued and had completed a dressage test with high score and no spooking (first time ever). Vet thought nothing wrong. Next day, he was very unwell with a temp of 40+ and massive hives. When you know, you know ...
Yep, you know your own horse! I called my vet because my horse was sharing hay with the others and had a moderate result on a worm count (he's always no eggs seen). He's a real tick magnet so I made the vet test for Lymes Disease even though he thought I was mad. Turns out it was Lymes!