Most stupid thing you've called the vet for?

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
Called the vet out as one of my horses was hopping lame. He'd previously done a tendon, so I was very cautious and box rested him until the vet came. Vet inspected him and went to her car to get hoof testers, just incase it was an abscess but she wasn't confident. The moment she came back to the stable with them, the abscess burst out. She said that happens only once during a vets career!!!

Last edited:

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
When Arthur cut his leg and I had a mentle flipping break down for 2 days didn’t relax untill it was Xrayed there was F all wrong with him but in my mind he was gunna be lame forever 😂🤣

Bob notacob

Visit site
When Arthur cut his leg and I had a mentle flipping break down for 2 days didn’t relax untill it was Xrayed there was F all wrong with him but in my mind he was gunna be lame forever 😂🤣
Clearly Arthur has bought bobs book .!00 ways to test how much your human slave is devoted to you. .Published in paperback £9.99 from wh allens.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
My horse was laid down in field 2 weeks ago. I think he was cast on my hay bell and tried to get up but sliding in the mud. We struggled to get him on his feet but managed and he was shaking all over. I phoned the vet thinking he was in shock. 20 mins later they phoned back and horse had calmed down. They had an appointment at my yard next morning so had them look him over just in case.

Same horse last year had a wound on his leg and I had vets come out to check it. He was OK. Funny thing is week before my other horse had a similar wound but I dealt with it fine. As this one was new to me I suddenly didn't feel as confident.

Bob notacob

Visit site
My horse was laid down in field 2 weeks ago. I think he was cast on my hay bell and tried to get up but sliding in the mud. We struggled to get him on his feet but managed and he was shaking all over. I phoned the vet thinking he was in shock. 20 mins later they phoned back and horse had calmed down. They had an appointment at my yard next morning so had them look him over just in case.

Same horse last year had a wound on his leg and I had vets come out to check it. He was OK. Funny thing is week before my other horse had a similar wound but I dealt with it fine. As this one was new to me I suddenly didn't feel as confident.
See chapters 2 and 5 in bobs book. (I think I might actually have to ghost write this book!)

clairebearnz

Visit site
My vet has now done *two* lameness exams including x-rays on a sound horse. In my defence, the first time, he'd gone hopping lame after XC but in the time between calling the vet on the Monday and taking him to the clinic on the Weds, he was sound. He then got to repeat the experience including x-rays the second time. Conclusion was he needed a slightly shorter shoeing cycle as his feet were growing insanely fast, the ground was very hard, and he was getting corns. Horse was v impressed with the service as he loves being fussed over and hates exercise. Unfortunately, vet said in his presence that his x-rays were "fantastic" and there was "nothing wrong with him".

Ironically, had the other horse at the vet the other day (who at least had the courtesy to be lame). Vet asked how his fave patient was going. Dead lame with an abscess after he stood on a massive rock and currently enjoying having his foot bandaged.

satinbaze

Visit site
Not the vet or horse related but in my job as a community nurse. Emergency call out by a care home for a “bleeding pressure sore “ to a resident heel. In inspection there was certainly some redness there had a closer look and touched it with my gloved finger. Removed red sock fluff from heel, no evidence of any sore at all. Advice carers was don’t use red fluffy socks

toppedoff

Visit site
Not mine at all but horse whose usually hot went quiet during exercise and the vet came out and turns out he was developing arthritis

littleshetland

Visit site
Not horse related, but the greyhound comes hobbling in one morning very lame and sore on his front paw. OH picks his paw up and has a good inspection, and declares he can find nothing wrong with it. Poor dog still hobbling, so I put my glasses on and had a look, and right in the middle of his pad was the head of a drawing pin! I pulled it out and all was fine . Good job OH isn't a vet really....

Tarragon

Visit site
Wasn't me but a fellow livery called vet as she though horse had developed a sarcoid. On close inspection was found to be an old , sticky ,hairy , raspberry fruit pastel stuck to the skin.
Something similar... we had long haired cat which had a soft lump on its back. It didn't seem to worry the cat if we prodded it. A minute later and after much prodding, the tentacles of what must have been a rather confused slug emerged from the mat of hair! It must have got entangled when the cat lay down in the flower bed. We cut it out and returned it to the garden.

Last edited:

ponyparty

Visit site
I called the vet out first with horse's current hoof injury - really just needed the farrier to check it and a poultice. In my defense, there was no heat in the hoof, and every time I touched near her stifle she kicked out, so I thought she'd done some sort of stifle injury as she'd been galloping around in the mud just before coming in. Said mud (and flying hoof) prevented me from seeing what was going on properly on the sole of the foot and I just called the vet as I decided I'd rather not risk it with that level of lameness. I'm on a yard on my own so no voice of reason to check in with, just me and my catastrophising brain :rolleyes:
So I was actually very relieved to see it was just a damaged sole! While I was convinced it was a stifle injury I was already considering at what point I'd call it a day for what can be a lengthy rehabilitation with poor prognosis.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with her stifle, by the way - I think she was just anticipating me asking her to lift her foot up and was telling me it hurt, in a rather dramatic way!

On the OP's point about hairs in sheath... I had to dog-sit for my mum when she was on holiday a few years back. Every time I dog-sat for her, something or another happened with the dogs. On this particular occasion, her Maltese dog couldn't retract his willy into his sheath. On closer inspection I realised it was because long hairs had got up there and were stopping it from retracting. So I had the lovely job of oiling him up and massaging until the hairs had come out and his willy was able to retract. My mother thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard, she still laughs about it to this day 😩 she always kept him groomed very short around there after that 😂

dorsetladette

Visit site
I called vet for the little welsh pony when I arrived one morning to her dragging her back leg behind her, hopping across the field for her breakfast (welsh pony who stopped giving birth to have breakfast - nothing puts her off food). Convinced she has done something major and I'd probably have to 'call it' I called work to tell them I wouldn't be in. Vet arrived on emergency call out, after serious about of poking, prodding, wiggling etc etc vet concluded she had an abscess in her heal. Pony should have won an oscar that day - bl##dy pony!!! Once poulticed and bandaged up she strutted across the field like nothing had happened - vet and I just looked at each other and laughed.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I've been prodding around his sheath again this morning and then prodding round the other 3 boys to compare and he does have so much more hair around there than the others. Despite cleaning down there fairly regularly I'd never noticed how much more hair he has than everyone else and for some reason he's growing hair down there like it's a second beard whereas the rest of his coat is just a normal native pony length.
The trimmers are charging up so I can get all the stray hairs the vet missed yesterday 🤣

Annagain

Visit site
This wasn't me but at my old yard, there was a girl with her first horse. She asked advice about everything, which was fine and I explained that semi deep littering was a way to save some bedding. I told her I left the wee during the week and cleared it out every weekend. The next weekend, I arrived at the yard to find her in a panic. She told me she was waiting for the vet as her horse had been weeing blood - probably all week judging by how much was in the bedding. I'd forgotten to warn her the bedding could turn red! Luckily, we managed to stop the vet arriving and save her the callout fee.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was the owner on Monday who made an early evening OOH call to the vet after younger mare had inexplicably taken out two significant lengths of fence. I didn’t see it happen, but saw her soon after when she was reeling and tottering, with cuts and bruises.

The vet didn’t take long to arrive, but by then the mare was much calmer and happier, and walked out fairly sound. Vet confirmed no stitching required, just lots of blue spray, plus tet antitoxin and finadyne.

After vet had left we reviewed the cctv which showed the second part of the fence entanglement 😳. Vets have since been shown the cctv clip. It’s never good when a vet comments ‘That’s most unusual’.

Whilst hopefully it might have been a very unfortunate reaction and sequence of events after being bothered by the midges and colliding with the first (off camera) electric off set string, horse is now on seizure watch - one more strike and you’re out.

I am happy to remain an ‘If in doubt, get the vet out’ owner.

doodle

Visit site
Just the other week my horse seemed subdued. Due to extensive previous issues I called the vet. Vet was there in 45 mins expecting to find a colicing horse. Checked him all over and could find nothing. Diagnosis was he is feeling pealy waley! Treatment wait and see how he is tomorrow. Vet left, horse went "ah I have seen the vet, feel all better now" and was right as rain!

Still I would rather call the vet (and vet would rather come out) and be told he is fine.

fiwen30

Visit site
Took my cat to the vet - he’d been licking excessively at his back legs, and the fur had worn very thin and I’d found a lump high up on the back of his thigh. It was soft and malleable, and he DID NOT want me prodding at it. I was distraught, thinking the worst.

Saw a new vet at the practice, who could’ve been a male model - the most stunning man I’d ever seen. He nodded solemnly whilst I tearfully described the lump, examined the cat, looked at me, looked back at the cat; and then must’ve dug deep down in his years of training to find the most appropriate, professional tone of voice, when he looked me in the eye and said ‘That’s just his empty scrotum’.

How I didn’t die of embarrassment that day, I’ll never know.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Not the vet but I just had a mobile tow bar fitting company out to fit a bar onto my car that the previous owner said had never towed.
He took one look, opened the boot floor, took out the detachable tow bar and screwed it straight on.
Don't know why it didn't occur to me to have a look first.

God I feel like a prize 'A' kn0b!!!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Not the vet but I just had a mobile tow bar fitting company out to fit a bar onto my car that the previous owner said had never towed.
He took one look, opened the boot floor, took out the detachable tow bar and screwed it straight on.
Don't know why it didn't occur to me to have a look first.

God I feel like a prize 'A' kn0b!!!

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. Bought my car off Cinch, no mention of a towbar so booked it into a local place. Left it there to get a call 10 mins after leaving “erm your car already has a towbar…”. It’s one of those retractable ones! Felt so embarrassed to walk back into the place to pick my car up

live2ride

Visit site
I had to call a vet to get a poultice back on my mare; I'd soaked her foot, and she was unhappy and kept kicking out. I couldn't hold on to get it back on.

Another time, for the same mare, I got a call that she was on three legs in the field. I brought her down from the field, and she had 'broken leg' syndrome. The emergency vet called out, and they managed to come about 1.5/2 hours later. She walked out of the stable and was 100% sound.

Then, with my gelding, I watched him try and jump the wooden fence in his fence-hopping days; he slipped and crashed through it and got his leg hung up on the electric wire. He comes down with this cut on his hind leg, on his cannon bone. It wass white and looked like bone. By the time the vet arrived it had started to bleed and just looked like a regular graze.

But then at other times I've got the vet out for seemingly not bad things, and it has been a good job. Such as the time he got a weepy eye, thought maybe the fly mask had irritated it or a little conjunctivitis , turned out he had a small ulcer forming, and if I'd left it and treated myse;f, it could have gotten way worse.
Now I just err on the side of caution, and pay the vet bill.