Motivation

Whoopit

Visit site
In 2020 I lost my horse of 10yrs when he was only 12yrs of age. He didn’t deserve to die, it wasn’t his time but I couldn’t keep putting him through operations, just for me. It was the right decision and I’d take that same decision every day of the week for that particular horse.

I then bought a 2yo who he wouldn’t load after a year of trouble free travel and once backed as a 4yo kept trying to kill me in the arena - was a dream to hack out. He’s since been sold to a fabulous showjumping home and is doing wonderfully, loves going out on his travels and doesn’t try to kill anybody. So clearly despite being very attached to me, he just wasn’t for me!

I now have the guy for me. He comes when I shout him in the field, he shouts when he hears my car pull up, he pricks his ears at my footsteps and voice.

But.

My motivation is gone. I’m starting to school/re-school a third horse to any kind of standard. I don’t have ten grand for something ready made, ready to go to clinics etc (I’m mid-range Riding Club standard, so not aiming for Badminton or Olympia) so it is what it is.

I’ve moved off my friends home - priority reason I needed 7 day full livery which sadly she couldn’t accommodate which is absolutely the right thing for her to say and secondly she’ll be selling the property this year due to divorce and no guarantee I’d be able to stay when it’s sold.

I know owners hard and I’ve never really struggled before but I kinda feel like the joy has gone. But I’m not sure I’m ready to let this horse go.

Anybody else had something similar? I get everyone’s different and a thousand other things sway decisions so not a cut and dry overview.

Any sympathetic experiences or finger wagging/slap in the face words welcome 💕

Whoopit

Visit site
Have you tried to just enjoy hacking/riding with no expectations of him or yourself?
I only ride when i want to with no pressure, and enjoy it.
Do you like doing groundwork 'play' with him?
I don’t but he likes hanging out and playing chase in the arena! I feel as I need to be riding to keep him fit enough to potter round a farm ride junp tracks like Somerford? He likes playing out in the arena with my dog which usefully tires them both out but that’s not an option now I’ve moved!

Maybe I’ve got a bit lost with what I think I need to be doing. I have my own transport so feel like i have to use it! Perhaps I need to use it for fun trips like woodland hacks and beach rides instead of clinics and events x

SEL

Visit site
Can you not go to clinics? I'm taking a very wobbly 5yo cob to some low level ones after years of 3-legged horses and it's fun. Not particularly challenging but he's 5 and I'm rusty so we just go to get a good experience and build confidence

Widgeon

Visit site
There's no reason he particularly needs to be fit....so long as he's hacking fit you can pick up his fitness whenever you find you have the motivation. Your horse sounds happy, so there's no "need" to do any more really. It is supposed to be fun!

dorsetladette

Visit site
This is the wrong time of year to make any big decisions. It's miserable (even on full livery) and feels like forever until spring.

If your horse is healthy and has plenty of turn out he will be fit enough for a hack when you feel like it as long as you don't want to get on and do a 25 mile fast ride. You could just give your self (and horse) a bit of a break for a few weeks and then pick things up again when the weather is a bit nicer?

It's a hobby don't forget - don't take things to seriously if you don't have too. Maybe look at some events planned locally to you, fun rides etc and see what you fancy doing next year. I will have a 4yr old next year who I plan to take out and have fun with but it will be low key and fun, not serious at all.

claracanter

Visit site
As with previous post, anyone can get demotivated in the winter. Did you feel the same in the summer, I guess not because you are posting now not then? Horses are hard work and expensive, you need to be getting some excitement or satisfaction out of it otherwise what’s the point however I wouldn’t make any decisions in the winter

Wishfilly

Visit site
I guess you are paying a lot for 7 day livery, which maybe puts the pressure on, but it's a rubbish time of year for motivation, and I'm sure a short break won't do any harm.

Equally, if you just want to hack, then do that!

Or would it help to have something to aim for? A lot of the clinics around here do pole work options etc and a green horse would be very welcome. If you booked something for the new year, would that get you excited again?

Do you have any horsey friends you could plan things with?

tda

Visit site
My motivation has definitely got up and gone, the only reason I rode yesterday was because my friend brought the wrong pony in from the field 😁 rather than the one she was riding .
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you/pony can be vaguely fit and still do a walk/trot dressage test or go round a farm ride at a steady pace, or do a le trec obstacles clinic. Try and do something fun, no pressure.