mouldy haylage

LadyRascasse

Visit site
they was a mix up today and my horse was accidently fed 2/3 sections of mouldy haylage. (when i say mouldy i mean black mould not the white fermentation)

what is the chance of him colicing from this?
crazy.gif

rascal

Visit site
I hope he is OK. I have to feed haylage from today and im not happy. New yard and all the hay has been used. Weve used hay for 30yrs with no problems, not even sure our old horse will know what to do with it!

cptrayes

Visit site
It's botulism and a couple of other nasty bugs that is more of an issue than colic, what were they thinking of! You must be so mad. If he is the slightest bit off colour then I'd phone your vet and tell him what happened immediately.

teddyt

Visit site
Depends on the horse and how sensitive a gut it has. Keep an eye over the next 2 days though as it wont reach the hindgut straight away, which is where problems may occur.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
they was a mix up today and my horse was accidently fed 2/3 sections of mouldy haylage. (when i say mouldy i mean black mould not the white fermentation)

what is the chance of him colicing from this?
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt he would have eaten it, lovely. So try not to worry.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
he did eat a fair amount of it! i have been to see him and he hasn't eaten much (good) haylage and he is pooing pony size poos (compared with the dinosaur poo's he normal does). he has drunk alot of water which i have topped up.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Most horses will leave mouldy hay/haylage, providing their not starving (which clearly your horse isn't). So maybe it wasn't as bad as you thought it was.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

china

Visit site
you want to watch out for botlism!! this is serious in horses, if he looks off colour contact your vet