Mouldy mainbale haylage - anyone else had a problem

TGM

Visit site
For the last few years I have used a local small bale haylage with absolutely no problems at all and don't remember ever getting a duff bale. However, it is not longer available and I have had to swap to another brand, which is Mainbale (made by J & R Tremain from Downe), bought through a local retailer.

First delivery of 30 bales was fine, but I'm halfway through the second delivery and have already encountered four mouldy bales. We are not talking little patches of white yeast, but green/grey mould spread throughout the bale making it totally unusuable. Contacted the retailer and they are insisting that we take all the mouldy haylage back, plus the wrappers, to get a refund. Now the trouble is that Mainbale is different from normal small bale haylage in that it doesn't section and just explodes from the opened wrapper into a loose random mess, so I am going to have to literally fork the loose haylage into the back of my Jeep to be able to take it to the retailer to get a refund, despite me having photos of the mouldy bales as 'evidence'. The retailer says the manufacturer insists on this and is the only way I can get a refund.

Anyone else have this problem, either with Mainbale being mouldy or difficulty with refunding?

JillA

Visit site
Mainbale are trying to ensure you aren't pulling a fast one, which is understandable, but it is unreasonable to expect you to do that. Take lots of photographs, take them to the retailer, tell him they are welcome to come and collect if they so wish (your contract is with the retailer not Mainbale) but the goods are not fit for purpose and you want a full refund or replacement. You can deal in person but also email them or in some other way put it in writing. Maybe mention Trading Standards in passing...........................how the retailer deals with Mainbale is entirely up to them.

TGM

Visit site
Thanks Jill, that is helpful advice. I don't mind taking one bale back and I don't mind either the retailer or the manufacturer coming to inspect the stuff! I'm also worried that there may be other mouldy bales that I haven't opened yet and they will insist I ferry that lot back to the store as well. Unfortunately the feedstore don't have an email address, which is unbelievable in this day and age! So I will have to resort to snail mail if the telephone approach doesn't work!

mainpower

Visit site
Mainbale make their small bales by breaking up their big bale haylage and re-baling. I know that opinion can be divided on the best way to keep haylage once it's opened, but I think it's safest to completely unwrap it, as re-wrapping or partially covering makes it go off quicker.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I have fed mainbale for the last couple of years and only had one mouldy one which my feed store refunded straight away (big thumbs up for lillicos :) ) you used to be able to buy direct from them as well by the pallet which I remember being cheaper than going through a middle man

pip6

Visit site
Check how it's being stored. With our home made big bales, if we come across one like this chances are there will be paw prints & holes in the plastic where the cats have been climbing up (using claws) to use it as a sun bed. If this is the case look into getting net & tarp to put over it. Small bales just as attractive to the kitty cats!

TGM

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. It is definitely not down to wrappers being pierced since they were delivered to me as no visible holes in the wrappers (which are very thick plastic being the premium range), some of the mouldy bales were from inside the stack' and also the mould was very established in the bale, and bales only recently delivered.

I rang the retailer this morning and mentioned Trading Standards as per Jill's advice and thankfully the manager has rung back to say they will come and collect samples of the mouldy haylage and the wrappers when they are delivering in our area later in the week, so hopefully all sorted now! (He thought it might be a problem with the heat sealing of the bags.)

TGM

Visit site
Just a quick update - it turned out that a total of nine bales were mouldy in a delivery of 30 bales, so quite a high percentage. Thankfully the retailer collected the bad bales and gave me a refund. Apparently there were problems with some batches of Mainbale haylage last year, and this year another customer of my retailer has now reported problems, so there are obviously some dodgy batches out there. Thought it was worth mentioning so that Mainbale users are aware - might be wise to ensure you have back up supplies in case you get a number of unusable bales.