Moulting!! It's official ...spring has arrived!

Greylegs

Visit site
The hairy highland is now moulting like crazy and I'm covered from head to foot in 2inch long biscuit coloured hair!!! ... so it's now official ... spring has arrived!!

I must have just about every hair removal gadget going but just wondered what you do to move loose hair ... maybe there's something out there I've not heard of yet which will save me from still having have clip lines in June.

(PS - pony has a chaser clip - throat to stifle - so has a lot of hair to unload off his top line, head and legs, and I'm not about to clip him out at this time of year... so please help ....)

Thanks for your thoughts ...

HaffiesRock

Visit site
No signs of my boy moulting yet :( Stating to bring him back into work now too, so could do with him starting to shed some!

I'd like a massive industrial hoover type thing to suck all the hair off! xx

BentleyBelly

Visit site
Wow, thats early, my boy is still clinging onto his hairy beast coat. What you need is a shedding blade...great bit of kit, wouldn't be without one in spring.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
my connie x tb 27yr old mare has started moulting too! defo time to get the clippers out in a few weeks and wack it all off! She's so fluffy, and gets really itchy so she she has a blanket in the winter but as soon as I know its a little warmer I will take it all off, can't be dealing with all that moulting again! have had 12 years of that and she's been more grateful to have to clipped off :)

dressedkez

Visit site
Mine are not, and look ghastly needing a second clip - I am sure that I have clipped at Feb Half Term before and got away with it - what do others think? Is early Feb too late to clip without damaging the coat? Mine will have hunter clips (again) - but my sister-in-law is thinking trace clip (first time) as her horse will be doing more work over the next few weeks. Opinions welcomed please - and sorry to gate crash OP's post.......

Charley657

Visit site
The hairy highland is now moulting like crazy and I'm covered from head to foot in 2inch long biscuit coloured hair!!! ... so it's now official ... spring has arrived!!

I must have just about every hair removal gadget going but just wondered what you do to move loose hair ... maybe there's something out there I've not heard of yet which will save me from still having have clip lines in June.

(PS - pony has a chaser clip - throat to stifle - so has a lot of hair to unload off his top line, head and legs, and I'm not about to clip him out at this time of year... so please help ....)

Thanks for your thoughts ...

Spring? Where do you live? Its like the Arctic in Edinburgh. Nothing like spring. :(

noblesteed

Visit site
Mine started a couple of weeks ago. He's not clipped and we have clumps - I told him it was a bad idea as the snow has come back but he obviously knows something I don't! We are in the north york moors too - it's been like siberia today!

Enfys

Visit site
Lucky you :D

We are still in minus double figures day and night, with snow alerts out for the next two days, due to get dumped on apparently.

My horses are hanging onto their hair for a bit more yet I think :)

Diesal

Visit site
Yay! Great News! For the people worrying about whether it is too late to clip in case you will ruin their coats from my experience you won't. Eventers clip in the summer when necessary and their coats are still gorgeous and shiny when they grow back. The shine comes from within and all that! :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Mine has been for a couple of weeks (when we were in double figures temps!) - more votes for the shedding blade, I find it much better than rubber curry comb as you don't have to keep stopping to defluff!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Little Ted is losing his stuffing too. A moulting half shire is going to do my asthma the world of good !!!

The weatherman has just forecast a good dump of snow for Monday. It is the increasing daylight that gets them dropping their coats rather than the weather. It was still just light at 6pm last night.

Enfys

Visit site
I always clipped all the horses and ponies out when they began to moult, couldn't be doing with loose hair everywhere. Clipping at this time of year never had any ill effect on summer coats.