Mounting block.

mytwofriends

Visit site
A couple of hefty tree stumps - an optional small one to step up onto, and one larger to mount from.

These used to weigh a ton, so obviously weren't moveable, but they were excellent. We had heavy duty chicken wire stapled on top as they could get slippery when wet or icy.

Just need to make sure they're cut nice and evenly.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To add to my post further up the thread about concrete blocks (like breeze blocks but more durable) I counted them last night - 16 in total, so mounting block cost £16 max.
Actually cost £7 less as I was given 7 of them. Laid in opposite directions , they have never shifted :)
Can just step over my mount if I go to the top of the block, tho usually use 2nd to top step :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have got some blue barrels, just need to find someone to cut them in half now!

An ordinary wood saw will do it. Mark the line with a piece of string, then draw it with a felt tipped pen, cut along the line. Job done. I cut a slot in the top of mine for a handle. Picture coming soon if I remember!

Dry Rot

Visit site
DSCN0717_zps7iudgtus.jpg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Neat job, but I'd need another step to get onto it!

OH made this many years ago, a nice and easy 3 step mounting block suitable for my knackered back and lack of 'spring'. Got very slippery in the wet/frost until we added chicken wire to the steps.

This Curver step is also ancient, but new ones are still available for c£25. It's light, portable and non slip, and I can steady myself on the grab handles on the top :D!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I spotted some large bright yellow heavy duty plastic tubs lying around at a farm I used to hack past, they used to have cattle licks in. Farmer let me take them for free and they've been so useful. Lasted years already, I use them as water troughs as well as for a mounting block and plaiting-up block ;) It's really solid and IMO much safer than the little step ladder types where the horse could put a hoof through. Ask your local farmer ;)

gnubee

Visit site
Bale of straw. Get about 6 months before it sinks and needs replacing. That's over 25 yrs a cheap mounting block would have to last before its paid for itself, and it's nice and soft if you land on it.

abbijay

Visit site
Owning an 18.1 elephant mounting blocks are important to me!
I have one of the IKEA steps - and I'm proud to say I spotted this backstage at London 2012 for the Swedish Dressage team - if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
I also have a 3 step ladder I bought out of aldi for about £15. It's just slightly higher, collapsible and very lightweight so I tend to use it when we go out.

KAZJAZ

Visit site
Mounting block? Get a man to cut a blue barrel in half for you. If you make the cut off centre, you'll have two blocks of different heights.

Now, all this talk about spending money on such a simple DIY item that oight to be free has made me feel quite faint and I need to go and lie down. :(

this!! we have this in our arena, perfect for the job

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Mounting block? Get a man to cut a blue barrel in half for you. If you make the cut off centre, you'll have two blocks of different heights.

Now, all this talk about spending money on such a simple DIY item that oight to be free has made me feel quite faint and I need to go and lie down. :(

All this talk about getting a man to do it for us is making me feel faint. Your tools will be completely blunt by the time you've got round all the HHO women cutting barrels in half for them DR!

Annagain

Visit site
All this talk about getting a man to do it for us is making me feel faint. Your tools will be completely blunt by the time you've got round all the HHO women cutting barrels in half for them DR!

I'd need a man with proper man tools and man knowledge to do it for me, I'd be trying with my pretty pink nail file.