Mounting Stool recommendations

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I need some recommendations for a good stable, durable and lightweight mounting stool.
I am fine getting on the lad in the school as we have large purpose made mounting blocks but I got on in the yard yesterday off an upturned bucket and I really needed a few more inches. I have a grooming box I can stand on but that isnt as high as a bucket and was fine when I had Gulliver but not so good for mounting bay giraffes!!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Have broken a bucket before so don't recommend! Lincoln do one for just over a tenner. Ours is a couple of years old now and still going strong.

diggerbez

Visit site
i use one of those metal kickalong things like they use in the supermarket or library. i think someone robbed it from their work! just a good height and sturdy too!
cool.gif

Gal

Visit site
Please be very careful if you use a chair. One person at my yard had a near miss - her poor horse ended up with a few small cuts and bruises.

Purpose made ones are best.

I like solid ones that can cope with uneven ground. I just googled them and was very shocked at the prices!

I sometimes use a very large solid tool box (from B&Q or Homebase - I think as it is ancient now) that doubles as a grooming kit box. It is strong and textured so it is not flimsy or slippy. Good luck!

LankyDoodle

Visit site
I have one from excelsior and it is excellent. It was £125 but is their biggest one from their upper range. They do smaller ones for much less, and they have handles so are portable.

Mine is 80+ cm and tbh I only use three of the four steps, and my horse is 17.3hh! So I could have got away with the next step down. If I stand on the top step to get on my 15hh, I don't even need the stirrups!

Giles at Exelsior is excellent.

If you don't want to spend that much, how handy is your OH with wood and a hammer?

scotlass

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have one from excelsior and it is excellent. It was £125 but is their biggest one from their upper range. They do smaller ones for much less, and they have handles so are portable.

Mine is 80+ cm and tbh I only use three of the four steps, and my horse is 17.3hh! So I could have got away with the next step down. If I stand on the top step to get on my 15hh, I don't even need the stirrups!

Giles at Exelsior is excellent.

If you don't want to spend that much, how handy is your OH with wood and a hammer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that! I also have a big four step Excelsior one. We all previously used a small step, but after I ruptured my cruciate ligament last year, I bought one of these. It's absolutely brilliant. Comes in many colours too!

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Have broken a bucket before so don't recommend! Lincoln do one for just over a tenner. Ours is a couple of years old now and still going strong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I absolutely agree it was a sturdy bucket though!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
It is fairly tall and you can get tallers one - I am just under 5' and my lad is 15.1 - I could probably also get on our 17 hand clydie with it too.

Also great for plaiting as you can move down the neck as it is fairly long.

CBAnglo

Visit site
I got a plastic 2 step stool from Lidl - it was about £8. It has a lid in the top for a hoof pick/treats/phone/keys so I can leave it all in there when I am riding in the school. The steps are also textured so non-slip. I also sit on it to clean tack etc - love it.

Gonetofrance

Visit site
From one who very foolishly knows.........
blush.gif

Don't try the huge plastic muck skips upturned.

I was jumping up and down on one playing with a youngster in for breaking, when the top (or the upturned bottom, however you like to look at it
tongue.gif
) split.
I went straight through to the ground, and the plastic closed back round my knees, a bit like those suckery things you put dishcloths into.
So I was left holding a very alert 4yo, with eyes on stalks, and I was stuck in an upsidedown bucket...........
blush.gif
shocked.gif

Luckily chez moi, odd things happen and the gees get used to bizarre happenings, so he stood whilst I broke off bits of plastic to get out......
grin.gif

BUT, I do know how lucky (and heavy, obviously) I was. I built a stone one to ensure it'd never happen again.

pootler

Visit site
I second the Ikea stools, I have one permanently in the lorry for shows and there are a couple hanging around the yard for when needed. They are brilliant and I would put them on my list of things you can't do without!