LEquus

Visit site
The FEI rules that ban removing "Sensory Hairs" go into effect July 2021 and I'm assuming it's likely the British competition orgs will eventually follow suit.
The FEI rules define Sensory Hairs as "Hard hairs located on the Horse's muzzle and around the eyes, also known as 'whiskers' that are used for sensation."
My Conny grows a decent moustache. I don't mind leaving his prickly whiskers, but I've always trimmed his funny looking handlebar. I've seen some cobs with moustaches longer than their whiskers.
Am I right to think the "soft hairs" of the moustache can still be trimmed?

conniegirl

Visit site
I would think so, they are not Sensory hairs, nor are they hard (though often quite coarse) I'd class it as no diferent to tidying up the jaw line. though the rule may make trimming the tash a bit more difficult as you will need to avoid his whiskers.

LEquus

Visit site
I would think so, they are not Sensory hairs, nor are they hard (though often quite coarse) I'd class it as no diferent to tidying up the jaw line. though the rule may make trimming the tash a bit more difficult as you will need to avoid his whiskers.
I do feel like it's overthinking what seems pretty simple since it usually just feels like fuzz, but wasn't fully sure if a moustache has any sensory value. I couldn't find any info via Google so was hoping for some insight.
I never saw a moustache on a horse until I moved here so never thought about it before.

Leandy

Visit site
I doubt the FEI has thought about it either as I can't imagine there are that many horses of the type to have a "tache" competing in FEI competitions. I can't imagine trimming it is a problem though, they are not whiskers with a sensory function. Noone will even know I don't imagine as only you will know he has a tache at all!

Hallo2012

Visit site
this
if you went to a show all that anyone would see is that he still had his normal whiskers as per the new rules.

exactly and if you have accidentally removed 2/3 whiskers in the process they wont notice that either, all they are looking for is that in the main, whiskers are intact.

seems to be total panic about this online (not you OP) with people now not daring to trim at all!

catkin

Visit site
What are the rules for the Connemara breed?
I'd go with the breed ruling if that is less trimming than FEI so you can then enter breed classes as well if you fancied (the various native breeds are slightly different in the amount of trimming allowed)

conniegirl

Visit site
What are the rules for the Connemara breed?
I'd go with the breed ruling if that is less trimming than FEI so you can then enter breed classes as well if you fancied (the various native breeds are slightly different in the amount of trimming allowed)
Connies need whiskers & feathers on but jaws/tash etc can be trimmed