Moving forward musings.

pistolpete

Visit site
So after saying my cup runneth over with joy at my two delightful share horses I feel at a crossroads. I still have my 17 year old highland who is retired with a stifle injury and we are just selling our house and hoping to buy in the midlands with a paddock or small piece of land for the pony. I’ve held on to all things equestrian in the hope of buying another to ride in the future but…
Think I’ve finally realised I’m not cut out to be a pony/horse owner. Riding other people’s is so much less stressful. Time to sell my stash of tack and rugs? Thoughts. Good or bad. I’m a bit of a hoarder so there’s lots! Lots going on and my brain is a little fried!

Leafcutter

Visit site
Don’t do it, 2 years ago I retired my older horse due in part to him being a bit stiff, and various other problems with my situation. He was on full retirement livery so all I needed to do was wander down and feed him carrots whenever I felt like it.
After a few months I decided to draw a line under horse keeping and gave all my stuff to a local charity, everything, bar my old boys bridle, a head collar and some grooming kit. Fast forward 2 years, I’m now in a completely different place, and really regretting getting rid. I want to start being involved again, riding again, owning another, the works. It was a very expensive mistake, so think long and hard.

pistolpete

Visit site
Don’t do it, 2 years ago I retired my older horse due in part to him being a bit stiff, and various other problems with my situation. He was on full retirement livery so all I needed to do was wander down and feed him carrots whenever I felt like it.
After a few months I decided to draw a line under horse keeping and gave all my stuff to a local charity, everything, bar my old boys bridle, a head collar and some grooming kit. Fast forward 2 years, I’m now in a completely different place, and really regretting getting rid. I want to start being involved again, riding again, owning another, the works. It was a very expensive mistake, so think long and hard.
I’m three years in and still not sure!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Lots going on and my brain is a little fried!
Maybe if you sort the big things out (house move) then see what you think about the small/non-urgent things? Once you've moved your riding circumstances might be completely different.
still not sure!
Then personally I'd keep it.
Selling 2nd hand stuff is a PITA & you get very little for it compared to the cost of buying new again if you change your mind.

(Edited to confess. I'm a hoarder. I have loads of stuff here that I'm almost sure I'll never use again but that's what lofts are for!)

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Could you do a bit of both. Go through your stuff and keep some select good quality items, the rugs that never leak and would cost a lot to replace, tack if it's good quality. That would free up space and be less to take in the move.

I might also sell saddles. They never fit the next horse even if adjustable and then you're trying to sell to finance a new one and often they're not wanted as they're an older model.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So after saying my cup runneth over with joy at my two delightful share horses I feel at a crossroads. I still have my 17 year old highland who is retired with a stifle injury and we are just selling our house and hoping to buy in the midlands with a paddock or small piece of land for the pony. I’ve held on to all things equestrian in the hope of buying another to ride in the future but…
Think I’ve finally realised I’m not cut out to be a pony/horse owner. Riding other people’s is so much less stressful. Time to sell my stash of tack and rugs? Thoughts. Good or bad. I’m a bit of a hoarder so there’s lots! Lots going on and my brain is a little fried!

The big benefit of getting rid of all your stuff, and I speak from recent experience, is that it doesn't stop you having another if the time is right, but it does mean you need to make more of an investment to do it, and therefore you'll have to be absolutely certain that it's the right thing to do and it can't be done on a transitory feeling on a sunny summer day that it would be nice to hack out on your own horse.

I've kept only one GP saddle and one dressage saddle, both very adjustable, and one girth. I don't even have the leathers or stirrups to go on them. I felt nothing but relief when the van sold. Everything else went to charity or friends. I did it really quickly so I couldn't get second thoughts.

So far, nearly 5 months of being without a horse, I've not had a single regret.

Greylegs

Visit site
I too own a retired highland, but my replacement horse is a bigger cob type who has it's own wardrobe as (apart for a bridle) nothing else of my old boy's will fit. You say you're not cut out for horse ownership, so, if you organise another share after your house move you won't need all your stuff anyway - assuming the new share horse already has tack, rugs etc.

I would get rid of everything your retired pony doesn't need (tack, excess rugs etc) and save yourself the hassle of moving it all to your new home.

Squeak

Visit site
Could you do a bit of both. Go through your stuff and keep some select good quality items, the rugs that never leak and would cost a lot to replace, tack if it's good quality. That would free up space and be less to take in the move.

I might also sell saddles. They never fit the next horse even if adjustable and then you're trying to sell to finance a new one and often they're not wanted as they're an older model.

I'd probably do this. I have a load of horse stuff I've kept hold of and tbh a lot of it is now out of date and fairly worn and I'd be better of buying new or secondhand newer versions. However there are some things like Rambo and thermatex rugs that will always be good and would be so expensive to replace so I'd probably go through and decide to get rid of some and keep others.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I kept some stuff when my last horse went. I wasn’t sure when I might get another so i kept the smaller stuff like headcollars, bridles etc. 20years later I got another horse! Most of the stuff I’d kept was dry from storage in the loft and completely out of date. When current horse goes I’m not sure whether I’d have another but I’d definitely only keep nice things just in case, nothing would be kept that could be replaced.

Boulty

Visit site
I’d say sell or donate all the random stuff that’s unlikely to be used again even if you did get another but that we all tend to hoard “just in case” but hold onto good quality things that would be hard to replace for now and then maybe review how you feel after you’ve moved & settled in. If you struggle to find a good share that you enjoy as much as current ones then you may change your mind about having another.

Oh & if you’re going to be within better driving distance you must come & finally meet the fuzzy thug at some point. It’s at least partly your fault that he’s here annoying me!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'd probably do this. I have a load of horse stuff I've kept hold of and tbh a lot of it is now out of date and fairly worn and I'd be better of buying new or secondhand newer versions. However there are some things like Rambo and thermatex rugs that will always be good and would be so expensive to replace so I'd probably go through and decide to get rid of some and keep others.
And what I have sometimes found it it's more difficult to sell expensive stuff as people expect it to be the same price as cheap. I went from 2 horses to 1 and sold some rugs as I had too many but I decided I wasn't going to let really good quality ones go for nothing so if they didn't sell, I kept them.

pistolpete

Visit site
I’d say sell or donate all the random stuff that’s unlikely to be used again even if you did get another but that we all tend to hoard “just in case” but hold onto good quality things that would be hard to replace for now and then maybe review how you feel after you’ve moved & settled in. If you struggle to find a good share that you enjoy as much as current ones then you may change your mind about having another.

Oh & if you’re going to be within better driving distance you must come & finally meet the fuzzy thug at some point. It’s at least partly your fault that he’s here annoying me!
I promise I will! I’m sorry if I’m partly to blame. It did seem like a good idea at the time didn’t it? 🤣

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My last horse is gone exactly 2 years. I don't intend to ever have a horse again. I have sold or donated the majority of tack, but still have 2 saddles, 2 or 3 bridles and a few favourite, unusual bits and pieces. I may move them on at some stage, but for now I still go into the tack room from time to time and just breathe in.

Boulty

Visit site
I promise I will! I’m sorry if I’m partly to blame. It did seem like a good idea at the time didn’t it? 🤣
Haha back when I was younger & more stupid it seemed like an excellent idea (I mean WHO gets a train then hires a car to the literal Highlands to view an unbroken youngster?! 🙈) I feel my life may have been easier if I’d taken the mouse dun mare I liked & I’m not even a mare person! Tbf I’d likely have come up with the same stupid idea all by myself even without your advert sharing (or an even worse one involving Welsh youngsters probably!)

Tbf he may eventually be thinking about turning into a grown up… maybe!

pistolpete

Visit site
Haha back when I was younger & more stupid it seemed like an excellent idea (I mean WHO gets a train then hires a car to the literal Highlands to view an unbroken youngster?! 🙈) I feel my life may have been easier if I’d taken the mouse dun mare I liked & I’m not even a mare person! Tbf I’d likely have come up with the same stupid idea all by myself even without your advert sharing (or an even worse one involving Welsh youngsters probably!)

Tbf he may eventually be thinking about turning into a grown up… maybe!
Bless him at least he’s friendly unlike mine!

Cadbury

Visit site
I suppose it depends on how much space you have to hoard horsey stuff! I’d suggest going through it and seriously asking yourself for each item, am I realistically going to use this again if I get another horse? Hopefully by doing that you’ll end up with a smaller hoard. Perhaps hang onto the expensive/hard to replace stuff though?