Moving from Grass to Full Livery - what is best?

showpony

Visit site
Hi all so am in a bit of a pickle..... I have a wonderful 4 yr old who is currently on grass livery @ yard. She is built sturdy & I currently have her rugged up as she was shivering in field last wk...
She used to be a nightmare to catch but walks over to me now which is great, we have a solid exercise routine in place so she is being well worked but at the back of my mind I am thinking about changing to full livery... I work FT , have couple of kids & the fact that she would live in would make my life so much easier re riding & not trapsing across fields to catch her especially coming into the winter - she used to be super fizzy if kept in all day till I came up to ride but its no longer the case. as just went to catch her if I was going up to ride as no point her standing in a stable for 8 hrs till I make it up to yard.. though over past wk they have brought her in for me hours before I ride her & no issues.

What do you recommend? - bare in mind on full livery she can have & seven hrs turnout a day.

BlackRider

Visit site
As long as you think she would be happy, then it would be easier and less time consuming for you.

Just make sure you've got a clear agreement with the livery yard re turnout etc.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If I worked full time and could afford it, I would have a horse on full livery. I run a yard and all my liveries ar on full or part livery. I think the horses are happier all being on the same routine. I live on site and so owners know there is always someone here in an emergency. Years ago I had my horse on full livery and it was great because I could spend quality time with her without being tied down to stable duties.

Renvers

Visit site
I currently have one on full livery and one has just been turned away onto grass livery.

With full livery (on a good and trustworthy yard) you have the peace of mind that your horse will have a good routine and all aspects of care taken care of without you rushing around or having to fit horse care around work and kids schedule. With that amount of turnout and shelter when she is feeling the cold I think it would be good for both of you.

I am finding adjusting to Grass Livery a bit stressful tbh as I worry if my horse is okay! Think I have been too pampered by Full Livery lifestyle :) But I do like that my hardier youngster can be out and chill 24/7